Is this bear poop?!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Leeuhhh, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I don't know anything about guns, but I have hunting friends who can help me learn.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Mossberg 500 is another fine pump shotgun, and has the option of multiple barrels for different types of rounds. I have a smooth bore for shot and small game, or rifled slugs, and a rifled barrel for sabot slugs, for bigger game like deer, elk or bears.

Tully Mars and Leeuhhh like this.
  3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Awesome - quick learner!
    lol

4. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Ya. Pretty sure I am going to rock the whole SHTF / off grid/ wilderness thing. Would a bigger guard type dog be a help at all?

5. kellory

If you intend to live off the wilds, guns, bow and arrow, crossbow, traps and snares, fishing, and farming, will be feeding you. It would be best if you could learn all you can about all of them.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Yes I am beginning to see your point lol.

kellory likes this.
  7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

.308 win.
    Eat some cheeseburgers to put on another 10lbs....it kicks a bit.

Leeuhhh, Tully Mars and melbo like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Sorry ,,didn't try to make criminal ....I buy them at boom city Tulip , I don't care of the flavour of the rules , I'm 60+ and don't let kids play with them . I use them for cheap noise makers . For polars , we would have a modified shot gun to shoot wads , had 25' - 40 zone for hitting a charging bear. Buddy dropped one years ago in Resolute . I had skid marks left in my tighty whiteys. He was in better reach , and I was on the airframe deck working . Either way , thats bear poop , and it will change its appearance when the food it eats changes with the season . Bear bells (small high pitch ring =Opposite to a cow bell) will keep both of you aware of each other , you ring , bears grunt and can emit smells . Remember to mark you area & start small & increase it is area for a better training & acceptance . Keep your food in old deep freezers so the smell is contained . Burn garbage / blood / bones etc.

EDIT add.
    Cleanup the bears poop and make sure it's outside of your area markings . If it keeps on pooping in your area , then You know there will be a confrontation .

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  9. kellory

For the short time, use a bear bag for food or garbage. It is quite simple to do. Tie a rope between two tree way up high, then tie your food into the bag and throw the loose end over the horizontal rope. Then draw up your food, and tie it off. The bear will not be able to reach it.

Leeuhhh likes this.
  10. melbo

Leeuhhh likes this.
  11. kellory

@Leeuhhh , with brown bear, small bells are often enough, and pepper spray for bears, will work with the few that remain, but grizzleys don't respond the same. Do you know how to tell the difrence by their scat (poop)?

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  12. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

I don't think we have many if any grizzly bears here. Maybe the poop is from a black bear?

Mindgrinder likes this.
  13. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Oh wow just saw about Grizzlies in the cascades. Interesting!

14. melbo

At least they're informing us about this one (bears). They pretended not to know anything about the wolves in the Teanaway but it was later discovered that the State had reintroduced them there and in other places.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  15. kellory

Black bear scat will contain berries and twigs, while grizzly scat will contain small bells and may smell strongly of bear spray.....

NotSoSneaky, Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

17. Mindgrinder

Pretty sure that black bear scat....they woke up a bit early this year....
    CLEARLY cuz we didn't pay Al Gore enough carbon tax to fix global warming...

*twitch*

Brokor, Leeuhhh and melbo like this.
  18. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

grizzlies are much bigger than black bears, right? I'm going to need a lot of pee. Sigh.

19. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

When I searched for bear scat images, it did seem to match the black bear pics best. So I agree. Lol. I am making a bear to-do list with all this info, thanks!

melbo likes this.
  20. Mindgrinder

Highly unlikely a griz or brown....
    The key to pee....beer.
    The best part of ownin' the land is that you can pee anywhere you please!

Gator 45/70 and Leeuhhh like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7