Is this Pure Fantasy for Coronovirus TEOTWAWKI Survival For limited Food, No Jobs, etc?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Hoo, boy!! Ed, are you looking for support for your intent to save your "valuables" or some other effect of a pandemic? To ask, what makes this scenario different from the rest of your postulations? All those others had existing answers on the site. I'll give you this, this one is unique in that it has no logical answer other than forget about lack of value in a GOOD situation and crying over an inconsequential loss will serve no purpose.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I think if you ABX'd a properly setup system streaming FLAC or any other lossless format you would be quite surprised, and if you used the same amplifier and speakers you would be hard pressed to tell the difference and you might even prefer the streaming system. A CD player introduces erratic bit speeds due to the necessary stepper motor design so they use a buffer to "clock" the bit stream. As the motor ages those erratic speed changes become more pronounced until the buffer can't correct it. You also have to live with the DA converter built into the player.

The signal path I use is NAS --network--> Windows 10 based JRiver Media Center --USB--> high capacity clock --optical S/PDIF--> DAC --RCA--> VFET amp --> speaker. No preamp is needed as volume, etc. is taken care of by JRiver. Because of that I get to eliminate all the transistors and more likely all the opamps in a traditional preamp. Once the stream has been converted to analog it's a straight shot to the amplifier and speaker.

You don't get the ritual, though, of loading discreet media. I get it, there are times where I will break out my half speed masters, a nice sippin' bourbon and fire up one of my broadcast quality turn tables. It doesn't sound better (some ways worse even with perfectly cleaned grooves and no static) but the experience makes all the difference.

Tubes are problematic. They are very linear, but have high distortion levels and their performance and distortion changes as they age. Still, the linearity has some advantages compared to stability and low distortion BJT's and even conventional FETS helping the music to sound more "musical". On the upside, the distortion can make poorly recorded music listenable much like singing in the shower vs outside the shower.

Enter the VFET and you get the best of both worlds: The linearity of a tube with the stability and low distortion of a solid state semiconductor.
    The only problem with a VFET is that they are expensive to manufacture and have to be carefully matched. High powered VFETS haven't been manufactured since the early 1980's when a matched pair of replacements cost $300. My critical listening system uses a pair of restored Yamaha B2 amps in a vertical biamp configuration. The result is three dimensional and well recorded music can be "seen" as well as heard.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's not fantasy, you have exactly what you describe in the so called "autonomous zones".

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Ed, no offense, but what in the 7 Hell's is wrong with you? Seriously? I read what you post and can't even begin to fathom how your mind works. I can't listen to music ysda yada. Dude, I enjoy music but I'm not even that big of a snob on anything. And my life and the lives of those I care about are easily more important than music or sound equipment. You really need to get your priorities squared away.

5. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Right now I'm continuing to be in a holding pattern. Before it was to be by my mother who lost it anyway the last 4 years and then as I said died recently. Now I'm in it because I've basically been in my as of this writing, safe apartment fortress, to last me at least 6 months barely going out But once things start going insane like scarcity of food and resources, that's when I've got to have some plan where to go. I don't fear the racial protesters and rioters as that's a way of life to us City people but do fear what will happen if people have no money and there's no food. The Winnebago isn't a bad idea if I can find some younger hot woman to take off with!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

There is no such thing.

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

In other words,You want her to drive....lol
    It's doable ED,Self contained,Carries all those CD's and Boom boxes + supply's+fuel.
    Hell you can pull off just about anywhere in a small town and spend the night.
    I hear Wally-world even has 120 plug in's out in the parking lot for an overnight er person to get a little power.
    There's even desert communities of campers out and about's.....
    Some of these old road warriors on board can enlighten you on the benefits.

ED GEiN likes this.
  8. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

So. No car in a city noted for gas powered personal transportation (no license?) An apartment fully stocked with sound gear and recordings. Presumably fully stocked (6 months worth?) of food. Very little water mentioned (depending on the city supply?) An electric bike that'll need recharging, and (presumably) and elevator that'll want power to carry the bike up and down for the few forays off the living floor.

Winnibago, well, OK, but who owns it, and is it safe for now? (Betcha not. Betcha it'll be busted up or stolen before they get around to the apartment building.)

G(et)O(ut)O(f)D(odge), Eddie. Nothing left to wait on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2020
  9. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I get around fine in CA There are excellent bike paths and my electric bike is great. Before Coronovirus, if I had occasion to go further out I relied either on Public Transportation, Uber or my sister giving me a ride. Now I just use my Electric Bike when I have to get out at all. I have over 3 months worth of bottled water on hand, a Berkey Filter and a Water Bob that will store another 100 gallons of water. I'm fine for the time being, Only way I'm not is if all hell breaks loose on every street in CAand for now that is not an issue and won't be at least in the immediate year. Won't be any problem in my apartment building as long as food still is not scarce. If it is then I better have some plans to get out of here. Yeah my apartment is relatively safe as safe as anyone's. If there was no power anywhere, then I'd still be able to go 25 miles out in my Electric Bike and not look back. I also have about 12 Hours in portable electric battery power to recharge my bike, etc.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

@ED GEiN I think what everyone here is telling you, through good advice, sarcasm and yelling is: Get out now while you still can.
    You might also hear a bit of frustration in our comments. You are like the horse that is pulled from the desert, led to water but refuses to drink. You know what happens to those horses; they either are left behind or shot and turned into steaks, stew and jerky for the rest of our journey.

It's kind of hard to see someone unable to leave the danger zone when they know they are at risk. But as I tell my kids, you can't and shouldn't try to save the world as it's a lost cause, sometimes it's hard enough to save yourself.

Good luck Ed.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Somehow, I cannot imagine that ability will save anything WHEN it all comes down.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I don't think most of the people who are telling me to get out are people who have lived in large metropolitan areas all their lives and have utilized all the great things life and their opportunities entails in these metropolitan areas. I probably will get out of CA when the Coronavirus problem is eliminated. Until then the best course for me is just staying put where I am. I am happy not leaving my home 98% of the time.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  13. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

That's the thing "When It All Comes Down". It has never "All Come Down" in CA. I'm not saying it won't "All Come Down" but its not remotely close at this point of time

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

What to you in the metropolitan area is a blessing.... to many of us is a curse.

I have lived in metro areas... I choose to commute up to 2 hours or so, if I have to go to downtown to review a project.
    I run a multi-million dollar operation in the Seattle regional area... currently, I am not pursuing any work in the immediate Seattle area due to the ongoing strife. I just turned down a 40 story bid opportunity due to that reason. Let them burn the city down, and then they can pay folks like me to rebuild their Emerald City...... LOL.

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You are definitely right, the ones telling you to get out of the large metro haven't lived there ALL of their lives. They spent enough time in one and learned earlier, that they don't want to get trapped there and beat feet.

Have you noticed that the covid rate in cali has been going up in the past few weeks logarithmically? The virus isn't going away anytime soon. My best guess? 2022 before we get back to 'Normal'.
    Mom is gone, your reason for staying is gone.
    But my supplies, my water, my stuff. Well right now, you can get out with all of it.

suggestion:
    Dateland AZ.
    Population .. under 1k
    you can pick up property here for 2-10k

Here, I'll get ya started. 252 Glendale Rd, Dateland, AZ 85333 | MLS #20200354
    It even has a septic already installed.

Amazon can deliver your groceries, you can set up a solar array to save on electricity for your electronics and to charge your bike.

You just have to make a choice:
    Get off the couch and move now while you still can.
    or
    Wait and see what happens.

There is that old saying, He who hesitates is lost.

Gotta make the call buddy. You rolling or getting rolled?

Your call.

16. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

It has only to come down once where you are. Odds are it'll be on your noggin a whole lot sooner in LA than it will in Rock Springs Wy. Take your chances where you want.

For me, if I need something a metro area has, I'll drive in and get it. Walking to a bodega (or electric biking to one) just isn't my cuppa. In this area, and most I've been to over the last umpteen years, your average gasoline emporium has the same stuff as the corner convenience store.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thinking you'll be mo happy hauling yourself out of that Commie crap hole ED.
    While you're still young enough to get around and set up camp,Breath some fresh air,Go fishing!
    If you don't mind me asking or saying,I've never been out west,Unless one counts Seattle or Anchorage.
    Only been south as far as The Island of Women,Trust me...Not all of em' are born a woman as one Captain found out..hahaha
    Went too school in Hot-Lanta,Rode Andrew and Katrina...You will never know just how bad it was in N.Orleans during and after Katrina.
    Get out and see a bit of the world ED !!!

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No, gator, he won't. He's happiest trying to think up reasons for not doing what he knows he should do.

Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  19. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I've experienced things that maybe would have freaked some of you out in the City but you kind of develop a 6th sense to avoid these situations

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Not when its too premature. I'm guessing that if I moved to an area like yours I would be totally miserable and bored as you would in mine. I'm not an outdoorsy or nature type person and I quit the Boy Scouts within a year as a kid. I don't fish or like fish and I don't hunt either or like roughing it in the wild.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7