Is this Survival Monkey or ??

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by ColtCarbine, Nov 26, 2022.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'm going to TEST this out in this the Team Clubhouse Forum first, to see the reaction before moving to Open Forum.

Is this Survival Monkey or has it once again turned into a personal dumping ground for people to post ALL their latest conspiracy theories and political rants?

I understand people's frustrations with current affairs, especially since I'm living through an absolute SHIT show myself in my home state.

Bitching about it on the Internet isn't going to change my circumstances.

I'll be awaiting the browbeating, LOL

2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

R (25).

Sometimes these posts are just entertainment. Some are educational. With the current batting average of conspiracy theorists I find lots of these crazy ideas have turned out to be based on at least some reality that sounds nearly as crazy. Survival includes maintaining a stable mental footing. If we don't have any exposure to the absolute fringes of how out of balance things have become we won't be able to maintain our own mental stability when the crazy comes to our neighborhood.

Small doses. You're not alone.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

We have always had conspiracy theories and political rants. That was why we created forums specifically for them. So members who weren't interested could stick to the forums they were interested in. During the debate on creating the Tin Foil Hat forum I remember saying that I enjoyed a good conspiracy theory. Even the most outlandish ones. I see it as a form of entertainment.
    And on the other hand I have seen many so called conspiracy theories turn out to be absolutely, or mostly true.
    As for politics that has always been a hot button topic. And you are correct Colt that bitching on the internet doesn't change anything but it does provide a means of venting ones anger and frustration.
    I have thought many times about Dee's thread on Mannerly Debate. I'm glad you bumped it. I think one problem we have is the lack of active mods and admins. Seems to me that the parents have all mostly left the room and only a couple of the older siblings are left to try to keep order. From what I see Bruce is overwhelmed and has little help.
    Maybe we need to contact all the staff and make some changes. Add more mods if the older ones don't want to come back. And certainly more with admin powers.
    If we had the staff we used to have we would have more eyes on and could moderate the site like we used to. Move threads to forums where they belong, monitor potential flame wars and toss water on them, and my favorite tactic was to quietly steer threads back on topic or away from the flames. And engage in a verbal jousting contest if needed.
    I would be willing to assume mod status again to help out. And I don't do that lightly. I never intended to get so involved in the site again. But hell, the monkey tree is like our child. We gave birth to it and nurtured it in its infancy. I've said many times that I wish new mods could go back and read the discussions we had during the early days of the site. We all put a lot of work, thought, time, and a big part of ourselves into its creation. But like a child, they grow up and we don't always have control of what they become. But I think it may be time for some parental intervention.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Conspiricy Theorists" are simply those farsighted individuals who see the institutionalized BS for what it is, and voice their concerns.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think what is happening is that society has become more polarized and people have learned by example from social media and politicians that the louder one yells and screams at the other side demonizing them the more 'Truth' their words carry.

We only have a few members that probably generate the majority of the thread posts.

I hate the hyperlink drive bys. Create a thread/topic and just dropping a link or cut and paste a passage with no personal commentary or opinion by the OP. Not even a few sentences or worse yet telling the reader that if they don't agree they are wrong/stupid.

I almost wish we had a conspiracy thread that branched off into two additional threads one where the conspiracy was proven true, the other where it was proven false.

The Inferno was an excellent idea.

I appreciate Dee's mannerly debate thread but I think the individuals that need to understand her words are going to nod in agreement but not change.

Right now SM is looking like the society at large. We just wish it wasn't in our house, and at our table.

Seems Uncle Richard has decided to come to dinner and brought a couple of his friends from the bar as well. I'm not going to say I'm a saint and don't poke the bear trying to derail their train on some of these threads. Sometimes with a funny meme or sometimes a newspaper across the nose.

But yes, we've got some pretty ranty and tinfoil wrapped individuals. But we also have a lot of folks that live in an echo chamber and don't like opposing or differing opinions and that is usually where the problem begins. The are sure it's a personal attack if you don't agree with their opinion ... just like society.

img - 2022-10-14T183809.310.

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"And you are correct Colt that bitching on the internet doesn't change anything but it does provide a means of venting ones anger and frustration."

Also, when venting one's anger and frustration it does much more. It also shows the individual that he is not alone and/or perhaps there are incorrect reasons for his anger or more data that will increase the anger, but I think the main thing is showing what other people are thinking and whether he/she is alone in his/her rant or if the feeling is part of the greater whole. It's really important! One of the reason the politicians or organizations have gotten away with so much is the fact that people think they are alone, unsupported and unorganized. One person's discontent and anger is nothing. A million people's anger could be a revolution and winds of change. There are thousands of sites like this, in one form or another, throughout the country and each one is important for one reason: they connect people together.

Politics IS part of survival in the 21st-century. You maintain a watch on a nearby Wildfire, preparing for the worse, planning your reaction while maintaining surveillance. The problem is Politics is much harder to predict, requires much more astute and higher degree of surveillance than even a Wildfire. Plus, the media makes it even harder to get accurate data as they control the narrative so numerous minds are better than one mind for collection and interpretation. In this, there is strength in numbers. Of course, the decision on how to react to the data comes down to the individual.

7. Minuteman

All good points. We had some often heated debated on free speech and how much or little we were going to moderate. Many may not know that all of us founders were refugees from another site. A site ran by a tyrannical staff that silenced anyone that didn't conform to thier standard. We fully intended for this to be a place where every member had the freedom to post without fear of retribution. Within the COC guidelines. Another long and oft times heated debate to codify.

8. VisuTrac

Could one just drop this on a thread as a scolding:
    advise.
    Or how about one of these.
    wyl. drugs.

9. Minuteman

I like the peckerhead meme. LOL

10. VisuTrac

so do I.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  11. ColtCarbine

Thank you folks for not chewing me up and spitting me out for bringing this up. I know it's been mentioned in the past and I thought I'd try it, being it appears to me at times a reset might be in order with some individuals.

Unfortunately, I haven't been the most active member in years. It's not I don't like this place, I've just moved on from being active on the Internet.

One thing is for certain, I feel fortunate that I landed here for the content within the halls here. And I've come to learn a lot about other aspects of life from those of you that express yourselves very well in writing.

I'm just trying to see what I can do to help out a situation I have no control over. I'll let this set here for now, unless other's think this need be discussed in public.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  12. ColtCarbine

Move to public or let it set for further discussion??

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This is an important Thread, for the Staff and those of us that have been around a long time, but not Founding Members… It gives some small insight into the “Why, and Who” of those that spent their time “To get it Right” by formulating our CoC… With the Loss of Ghrit and RightHand, we just do not have that Institutional Memory that they brought to the Monkey…

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  14. ColtCarbine

Without further ado

@BTPost you are the wizard with the magic wand. Please move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This isn’t about Individuals, necessarily, but more about “Why most of us are here” and what a few of the Founding Members think about what they see since rejoining the Monkey after decades of being gone… It is just a conversation, among those of us that think this place is important, but might need a tweak or two possibly…

16. ColtCarbine

I didn't start this thread to slap anybody in the face, be-little anybody or criticize any specific member regardless of one's content or opinion.

However, I have noticed that when I hit Recent Posts the majority of the content is in the Tin Foil Hat and Political Forum. Am I complaining about it, just an observation. Do I have any grudge towards any members, nope.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I feel I have dropped the ball entrusted to me by @Motomom34 with "The Topic of the Month". I feel this kept us mostly on the side of what the Monkey was originally. My loss of interest ran mostly from the lack of member interest. The TOM took a lot of research and work every month, something I had no issue with before my heart surgery. It is now near three years later, and I think I could start it up again.

It is really up to the membership to help steer us back on the course of prepping and Staff re-evaluating our mission as a Survival Forum. The Nation is facing a recession, our fore bearers knew how to survive those times, but many today live in the city and urban environments where growing and raising your own food is complicated if not impossible. I think that if we focus on those issues that there may not be time for members to dwell upon the negatives in their lives but see some glimmer of hope that better times are possible.

I feel that there is a place for keeping tabs on the national and international political climate is also important from a strategic and situational awareness perspective. I think these areas should be our focus as Staff, and the threads we start should be in these areas. But that is just my opinion.

18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

……. Remember it well. Hard to believe it was so long ago now ! Also remember having hijack that site back from a rogue admin back in the day as well :) !!!! I also heard that the old owner of that place may have passed ! They were interesting days. I am not as active on the monkey as I once was. Probably because of the points raised here. I have enough BS in my life without seeking more here. I check in most days and try to throw a bit of what is good here in Aus out from time to time.

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I knew for a long time what would transpire, and I am not saying I am Nostradamus, just acutely aware of the pattern.
    I warned people that politics would become heavily radicalized and predicted the outcome based on likely factors.
    Our society is deteriorating, and so this site will also suffer from the effects.

Be at your best, always. Never give in to tyranny and chaos. Dare to stand your ground and face the darkness.

(FYI: This site is dead to me and has been for a while now. I highly recommend every member take what they can from the archives and continue with their lives.)

20. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Personally I feel 99% of the discussions here have their particular merit. Political posts in particular as a more and more intrusive government is currently driving peoples fears of an uncertain future, which is what turns a lot of folks into preppers. Without a doubt, the ability of the membership to discuss such a wide range of topics without walking away angry is the glue that holds it all together. Other sites like this feed on members bashing members and the rest stopping by to see the fights like watching a car wreck. I do wish there were more "how to" but it is still a great mix. The founders did a great job and the CoC is just right, even allowed to be bent at times. Like many things, a singular focus would only serve to reduce participation.

chelloveck, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 6 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7