Is your job useful?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Jan 19, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  1. cool hand luke

cool hand luke Monkey+

If you like running water, sewer, or building anything I'll be fine.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

This is a 3+ year old thread. I did go into HDM for 8 months after this post, living off my savings (Gold & Silver) during this time.

I then did what any good survivalist should do when the area they live in becomes un-viable for their means of income... I moved 2500 miles to a new area, new career, etc.

I've moved a few times after that and have settled into a seemingly secure new career that resembles nothing of my post above.

3. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

My two job's i have retired from one from the military and one from a Federal work and i found my third job as a Security Clearance job forum for people from the military and federal personal who has a Security Clearance's for company who need's someone who has security clearance from Secret to top secret type of clearance's for there job need's ..

I basically is going to have to move there to do my job in Hawaii or retire to NC to be with family

4. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

I once upon a time owned a fairly large janitorial supply company. Annual sales (5mill+). I can tell you everything you don't want to know about toilet paper and its production.
    My wife however is a nurse-midwife. We moved to a very rural area and I have since started farming and prepping more in earnest. My wife is getting into the Amish/Mennonite scene as she does more homebirths. I am encouraging her in this as it is my belief that if SHTF for a lengthy period of time having good relations with them is going to be critical. They will barter supplies for midwifery services.

5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Actually i fear for the amish folks in a true shtf event because what do you think all the non prepared armed folks up here are going to do when they run out of food? I think they will raid the amish. It would be a real shame because the amish have skills that would be useful.

6. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

I totally agree and was going to talk about this in another thread. The amish are either going to get raided and probably killed or someone is going to need to protect them. I wonder if they would be willing to barter for security services?

7. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Nice to have resurrected this thread.

Guess I'm ok since I've managed to survive and thrive these last 3 years. [fnny]

Kajun

8. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

My job post SHTF? Depends on how much S and how hard it HTF. A complete WROL scenario, fugeddaboutit.

I am a logistics coordinator for a very specialized foundation repair company in the Petrochem/Heavy Industry sector. What I do for a living now does not anywhere near reflect my skill pool though. I have had a very colorful and storied life thus far. In a complete economic failure/collapse of society scenario the family, my friends, and I will be OK as long as we keep a level head. Any monkeys near Houston can feel free to contact me PRE-SHTF any time through this site, and we can talk about sharing skills/setting up comms, bartering, sharing goods etc.

9. Robryan

Robryan Monkey+

I have been in maintenance for 30 years the last 20 at an automotive factory, Though electronics is my main passion, I have been to training on hydraulics, pneumatics, welding, machining, AC and DC drives and about a hundred different class on how to get things working again, I have a very good selection of tools, welders, plasma cutters, torches and metal working tools, and electrical meters and scopes. etc at home. I haven't had any automotive experience but I installed a 5.7 LT1 engine and automatic transmission in my 1979 toyota land cruiser to see if I could do it, and figured out how to bypass the anti-theft system by making a 60hz frequency generator. Usually if it is broke I can fix it or tell you what you will need to do to get it running again.

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

damn that's a tough one.
    currently a software application developer for small but very profitable company that has a world wide customer base.

if the shtf is not global, and people are still using money. then sweet for me.

Otherwise I can play lumberjack,sawyer,builder,plumber,welder, farmer or some other useful thing that i've done in the past.

This summer i plan on building a forge and pick up some smithing tools. Dem horses gonna need some shoes for walkin' on that there broken pavement..

Time will tell. Maybe i'll just have to become a criminal. I hear that can pay well but getting caught has a pretty harsh penalty.

11. Robryan

Robryan Monkey+

Bartering for security service is probably what they would do, some might even decide to fight, they do believe in using guns for hunting but after seeing how they forgave that guy after killing 10 of their children I just don't know. They as a group would probably be in the best shape except for their security needs but I bet some already thought this out.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My JOB today is to be semi-reTIRED... What that means is the Cannery Folks PAY "Me" to live here, when the place is closed for the winter, and they are not around, I am the PostMaster, UPS Agent, FedEx Guy, Harbormaster, and Fuel Distributer. I have had many varied Careers, in my different Lifetimes, but what most of them boil down to, is that I AM A Technologist. I deal with technology, in as many forms as I can comprehend. I learn about them, study them, and where applicable implement them in my surroundings. I can pound a nail, use a saw, but I am NOT a builder. I can turn a wrench, and do simple repairs, but I am NOT a Mechanic. I can wire a house, and generate ALL my own power, but I am NOT an Electrician. I can plumb a house, in copper, or PVC, but I am NOT a Plumber. I can use a CADD System to design a lot of things, but I am NOT an Engineer. I can do all these things, because I have learned the Technologies involved, but I am NOT an Expert in any of these individual Fields. I have been a qualified Advanced Red Cross Card Holder, as a Professional Ski Patrolman, and can provide many EMT skills, but I am NOT an EMT, or any other EMS or Medical type. My formal education is in NitroOrganic Chemistry, but have not practiced in that field in four decades. I have been a Federal Agent, but have not been active for a decade. I have held Blasters Licenses in four States, but haven't practiced in that field in a decade. Basically I AM and OLD Fart... but I know a lot of good stuff......

BAT1 likes this.
  13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

melbo began this thread in January 2008. If you go back to the beginning, you will clearly see that we were all recognizing the economic downturn that had begun to occur. For the most part, what we all feared did indeed come to pass

BTPost and Falcon15 like this.
  14. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I'm a remodeling and home service professional, being self employed for 22 yrs. The influx of illegals into the construction trades have hurt everybody in Texas. They will under bid you, but their product is lousy. Went to install some cabinets three weeks ago, and the other crews told the super that they did not want to work around a 'gringo'. There were several Mexican plates on the trucks. I did my work, had the super OK it in writing, took photos and left. I also called ICE.
    Not much retirement working for yourself, so I have hired on with big Realty group and will be servicing Banks and Medical facilities, just doing piddly repairs and maintenace which is less demanding on my aging body, and it is a 'step above' that kind of garbage I had to deal with. It's getting crazy out in the construction business, and it is slowly going downhill. With the new job:
    New van, Gas card, uniforms, insurance, dental, 401k, and a weeks vacation. Weekends off. I play bass guitar and want to write Patriot songs with my brother and play local gigs.
    My vehicle will be spared and my business gas will be paid on a new vehicle. I can always revert back to my many talents I have from the past. I can build anything, specializing in prototypes. Good steady income will give me the means to finish my bug out retreat, stock up food and get that AR-10 quicker before the new BATF Czar gets in.
    I'll be the first guy in the line of fire during a holdup or a bank run though. I can replace windows too, that should involve over time due to the bank runs. LOL

Falcon15 and NWViking like this.
  15. NWViking

NWViking Monkey+

I was a licensed general contractor after retiring from the Air Force, that came to a standstill at the end of 2008. I've been going school in Electrical Construction and will also be one of the few who can keep it running safely.

Lance

16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I handle institutional research/planning/effectiveness and accreditation for a state institution... if the goverment is around my job will be around...

if not i can live on the farm... i have many skills... black smithing, bee keeping, gun smithing, dam removal (gotta love beavers), cooking, EMT, Falconer, reloader, chicken farmer, teacher, a successful EOD career (i have all of my fingers and can type this...) a smattering of survival skills i can fly small planes, hot air balloons, and gyrocopters although i do not have active liscenses... i can dig a straight ditch although it will take quite a while in my current condition... i can teach navigation and cartography... and i'll have your back if you have mine...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

17. Plainswalker

Plainswalker Monkey+

I am currently a seminarian studying to be a chaplain. In addition to the normal bible and theology classes that every seminarian takes, I am also focusing on counseling people dealing with death and addiction. I know that some of you may disagree, but I feel that faith and religious guidance is important now and will be especially important post-SHTF. However, I realize that people are not going to pay me to talk and listen when times are tough, nor would I expect them to. Therefore, I plan on supplementing my education by taking classes through the local community college when my schedule permits. I want to at least do the EMT-B course along with some classes on bookkeeping and horticulture. Once I finish those I might try my hand at welding and automotive repair. Even if nothing serious happens (which I highly doubt) they would still be good skills to have.

18. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I used to feel my job was useful and necessary. I worked saving lives and property in really serious environments. Though I still consult in marine salvage, I no longer feel I am useful and productive. I like the people that I work with but there is just no excitement in getting up and seeing the same faces day after day and doing the same thing. My wife's health has pretty much taken the adventure from my life; I don't begrudge this, it was a fair deal. Now, I spend my time preparing for what ever, making money, writing stories, tinkering with my guns, and getting used to being an old fart. I miss the roller coaster.
    I should be in Japan. All I can do is pray that god has mercy on those poor people.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7