Israeli researchers grow new date plants from 2,000-year-old seeds

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Feb 8, 2020.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok, Ok... At one minute the Yellow stuff get nice and warm, and the white stuff gets boiled and the resulting vapors coat the inside of the Yellow stuff with a hard carmel like coating.... My results of a experiment I preformed 40+ years ago using our first Ammana Microwave Oven....

Ganado and SB21 like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    Elaine Solowey, of the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies at Kibbutz Ketura in Israel, recently broke the good news to National Geographic:

“He is over three meters [ten feet] tall, he's got a few offshoots, he has flowers, and his pollen is good," she says. "We pollinated a female with his pollen, a wild [modern] female, and yeah, he can make dates."

Methuselah sprouted back in 2005, when agriculture expert Solowey germinated his antique seed. It had been pulled from the remains of Masada, an ancient fortification perched on a rock plateau in southern Israel, and at the time, no one could be sure that the plant would thrive. But he has, and his recent reproductive feat helps prove just how well he’s doing.

Tree Grown From 2,000-Year-Old Seed Has Reproduced | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

more info

3M-TA3 and SB21 like this.
  3. DKR

Ganado and SB21 like this.
  4. DKR

SB21 likes this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That is really cool. Thanks for the posts.

DKR likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Desert Harvesters org (not mostly hippy types) also harvest mesquite beans and other desert fruits and veggies from peoples yards (with permission) and make food for the food bank as well as personal use.

DKR likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Darn I don't think that they will grow in new Mexico. Turns out it's too cold, who'd thunk dat.

8. DKR

My brother has a coffee trailer and was down at the annual bean grinding 'party' at their place by the river. (Boler Beanery)
    [​IMG]
    (Little Boler Beanery's Photos | Facebook) for more photos of his cute trailer.

He refereed to them as "hippy types" - very nice folks worried about the environment.
    Not only did he sell a crap-load of coffee, the organizer gave him 2 lbs of bean flour. As he said, very nice folks.

See also my earlier post on rainwater harvesting in Tucson.

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7