It’s going to be a disaster- eclipse traffic

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

@Imasham Indeed the experience here in the PNW was awesome, eerie, and surreal. The local birds seemed to be freaking out at the onset of the eclipse, racing back to their roosts as the moon moved to cover the sun. It was dead still here, which is unusual in this coastal community, not a breath of air movement until the totality was over and it began to lighten outdoors. We watched from our East facing picture windows and you could feel the loss of radiant heat. At totality we turned of the interior lights in the house to get the full effect.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I watched it ALL happen on the Oregon Coast, live on CNN.... out was cool, and it actually got about 50% Dark here, but we couldn't see anything due to the Rain Clouds.... Well what do you expect if you live in a RAIN Forrest....

3. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

The DW and I took the day off from work, for this significant event. We decided to forgo all of the "events" around here, and drove a couple of hours to the tiny town of Winnsboro Sc. We parked at a grocery store / shopping center parking lot. There were maybe 25 other vehicles / groups there, well spread out, plenty of space for all. We got just over 90 seconds of totality, a quite awesome display. We headed home probably 30 minutes after totality, with no problems, no gas shortages, none of the predicted mayhem. Great day, a shame it will not happen again in my lifetime.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know a fellow who volunteers at the Hermitage in TN, Andrew Jackson's home, who published these pictures today. Reminds me of the spectators for a 3D movie in the 50's and 60's
    Hermitage 2017 08-21-1.
    Hermitage 2017 08-21-2.

5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Glad I made the drive South, off the beaten path. All the major roads were pretty crowded this morning in the Willamette Valley. The highway that runs through my home town was definitely busier than usual. 20170821_091331.

The drive was so stressful, I had to calm my nerves with an adult beverage at 9:15am.
    20170821_094149.
    I'll agree with others that were outside for the totality. This was an experience I can cross off my bucket list. If you've never seen a eclipse in person, I hope you're able to do so in your lifetime. Not so sure I'd travel to the far reaches but feel very fortunate to have had the experience, pretty much in my backyard so to speak.

I honestly can't put the experience into enough words to fully describe it. Especially once you start to notice the light getting dimmer. Prior to totality I could feel the temp drop and my arms got goose bumps.

20170821_101743.

20170821_101804.

Unfortunately, my camera couldn't capture the same thing I saw with my eyes during totality.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nice beer choice! [winkthumb] [beer]

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i just got a call from my mom and sister who said its an e'fing mess in the bible belt where they live ppl are coming from all over to view the eclipse. Lemmings! doesnt anyone work for a living?

8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Down here we only had 75% or so and took a #10 lens in my welding helmet and whatever my cutting glasses are to be comfortable

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

The cactus and grapefruit was not overpowering and actually was very tasty

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7