It Is Time to Bug Out- With Small Children

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Apr 5, 2013.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Something to remember is, that small children deal with problems the way they see their parents deal with them.
    If mommy freaks out at spiders so will the kids.
    If there is terror over lightening so will the kids. YOU are their example how to deal with fearful things.
    being afraid inside is not the problem , it is showing it.
    Dealing with wild animals or aggressive dogs, demand the same strategy . be afraid, but don't show it. (even slightly) turn it to anger and aggression.
    To my dad's credit , he had felt with death most his life ,crash truck driver and ambulance driver ,as well as other unrelated events in his life. His cool handling of things taught me the same thing when things happen I must deal with , teaching my kids the same confidence in their own emergencies.
    Get training in medical emergencies and don't shy away from opportunities to learn , and don't shield the kids from it either .
    Birth and Dyeing and injures are all a part of life.
    Treating them with fear and shielding children from that reality, makes them VICTIMS merely being observers. Your not doing them any favors . and only fooling your self .
    Children in third world countries see this reality all the time, and appreciate life much more.

Motomom34 and ghrit like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I like this thread. I reread what I posted in 2013. The children have gotten older and have become preppers or seem that have developed the minds set that most survival monkeys have. They have gotten older, the backpacks have become normal ones. Since they were in school when we started this journey it was quite easy to grow and change things as the matured. I cannot imagine bugging out with an infant. Just the diaper situation would be space consuming. I wonder what people would do with planning to bug out and a diaper wearing infant. Disposable would need to be swapped out as the child grew. Cloth diapers would need to be washed and bleached but how would you do that in a bug out scenario?

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

in re-reading this thread I have thought of one issue I had not thought of earlier. If your BOL is "A HIKE" from your departure site, you may need to have some type of carrying system for the kids. This means you not only have gear to transport but your young children as well.

A tired bawling child can be heard for miles out in the wild by two and four legged predators.

Take some candy, plenty of those sugary Mylar packaged drink packs and have it within your plan to rest occasionally.

Amazon.com: Veelar Children Double Bicycle Trailer Jogging Stroller Combo 2 in 1 Yellow/BlACK 50204: Baby

[​IMG]

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are very correct. A favorite toy and with little ones maybe have an extra pacifier in you BOB. I think also a baby sling would help because the baby will feel comfort being on you and can still breast feed while you are walking. Something like this: Amazon.com : Mamaway Ring Sling Baby Carrier - One Size Fits All - Easy On Your Back - Comfort For Your Baby - Can Be Used For Different Positions - Breastfeeding Privacy : Baby

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My crumb crushers ALWAYS got quiet riding in a pack frame sorta thing.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

A great idea and you could then put your gear in the cart. [winkthumb]

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. DKR
  3. Tully Mars
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. GOG
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid