Items You Should Buy Duplicates/Triplicates Plus for TEOTWAWKI Ongoing List Besides Food/Water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Do a little hidtorical research and see what the traveling drummers sold to the households they stopped at. This will give you a real life view of what was needed without electricty and back scratchers.

Merkun likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

@Ura-Ki is correct but so are you.
    Your reasoning is exactly why for years I had a lot of medical equipment that was above my pay grade.
    I finally figured out it was easier if I just married a nurse with a emergency medicine background;)

T. Riley, Motomom34, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, I did that too.... But in our case, We were married for 15 years, before she went to Nursing School, and she practiced in ER and L&D for a few decades...

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You cannot be serious asking @ED GEiN to do research. That is what he wants SM to do for him.

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Y'all, back off a little. He's asking questions and getting y'all talking. It's a forum.

Tinkers often sold fabric, thimbles, buttons, needles, thread, and did "tinkering" to repair tinware and pots and things. A silod mix of basic necessities (plastic buttons) and fancy items (carved bone/silk thread) to tempt and get people excited to see what they brought this time.

I've considered getting a soda maker to tempt people in.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Ease off the gas a bit @Merkun , everyone is here to learn or share as they can.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

HA, I married a Neurologist! She is constantly telling me whats wrong with my brain function, and not so subtly telling me how to "fix it" LOL She keeps me on my toes, bless her!

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

No condoms. We menfolk will be needed to repopulate the Earth and will be in high demand by the wimmen for such purposes. Also perception of desirable men will shift to older short hairy men with beer bellies and receding hair lines.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Do machetes/bowies work well on the L.A. flora? Or are axes better.

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

:5s: :lol:

I hear butter knives work well ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
    Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Just like you post so many innovative threads here Merkun

Thank you. I've noticed that people who for whatever reason don't post many threads are apparently "jealous" of people who post threads. If they don't like the threads then don't read them, duh.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Just a thing that happens. I think you have asked some pointed questions.

My question would be, how much experience do you have camping/bushcrafting/whateveryou call it? Makes a HUGE difference in gear selection.
    Followed by, SHTF, are you trying to set up a trading post, or just get out of dodge?

Tully Mars, ED GEiN and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

One I forgot...

Latex free gloves.... Boxes of them....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. Seacowboys

That's right, never know when you are going to have to perform an emergency proctological exam :(

ED GEiN and Merkun like this.
  15. Seacowboys

I do recall from reading historical literature and biographies, mentions of traveling salesmen, tinkers, and such. I think that would be a viable plan for subsistence in a post-apocalyptic times, providing you had adequate security. We often talk about barter here but mostly like land-owners in a fifedom with occasional sojourn towards Green River for swap meets. A well maintained teamster with security could be quite profitable as a nomadic store-front.

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. Dunerunner

Or, you could deliver the mail.... :cautious:

17. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Zero knowledge, I'm a failed Boy Scout who quit at 12 after a disastrous overnight hike in the Catskill Mountains in the middle of the frozen winter! where my mother's insistence that I wear thermal underwear saved me from totally freezing to death! I'm viewing a tent as a a short to long range option till I find permanent shelter should I be forced to depart my apartment in search of a safer area.

18. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

How so? I'm a bit puzzled on this one

19. Dunerunner

TEOTWAWKI..... You actually think everything is going to be clean? They will be needed, just think of the possibility of no sewage system, no latrine, no running water.

Made me think of Wet Wipes, too. Boxes of them.....

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Lot of good schools and teachers in your AO (it's not supposed to suck)...rabbitstick comes to mind.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Ganado
  3. DarkLight
  4. Motomom34
  5. DarkLight
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Motomom34
  8. ghrit
  9. Gopherman
  10. Falcon15
  11. Brokor
  12. Hispeedal2