Items You Should Buy Duplicates/Triplicates Plus for TEOTWAWKI Ongoing List Besides Food/Water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I see that logic but after how many years does it take before it becomes clutter? I have propane stoves, I have practiced making a fire. I know hobo stoves etc.. but I have 2 butane camp stoves that just sit gathering dust. I have fuel for them that is also gathering dust and many times I think they are just taking up space. Once SHTF and I run out of the butane canisters, they will be useless. I am thinking since I have other easier methods to cook with then maybe I ought to free up the space and put something there that I do not have.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Use the butane first, run them out of fuel and discard them. Then use your other stoves.

I have an old GAZ stove I've had for well over 40 years and eight fuel canisters, a 2 burner propane cooktop (takes the lantern type propane bottles), two single burner butane stoves and a dozen or so canisters, two Smokey Joe Weber kettles and charcoal (local scrounged hardwood could be used), a Traeger PTG that can be driven by a small inverter from a D/C source and five 20# bags of pellets.

I don't intend to get rid of any of them....

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've only cooked on butane once in my life...

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I'm asking these things because of space limitations both in my residence and then space limitations of room in my bug out transportation.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
  5. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Out of Dodge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is my issue also. Space is limited so I need to make sure what I am storing is really what I need and will be used. I try for minimalism with stuff because food storage takes up a great deal of space. I appreciate lists/ threads like this because the lists and suggestions have me mentally going over what I have, what I may need etc.

ED GEiN likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Probably the best safest stove is kerosene IF you can find one.
    The fuel is not stored under pressure nor does it need pressure to operate.
    It is a soft flame like a kerosene lamp, and uses a wick, so it doesn't roar like a Coleman stove, and kerosene is less volatile, so spillage is not the hazard gas is.
    Kerosene will store for years and not go bad with no special treatment .
    JP4 (jet fuel) and diesel will work as well in a kerosene stove but smoke a bit.
    Access to kerosene is usually from hard ware stores, not a gas station. and it's not cheap . but it doesn't loose it's value either over time.
    Alcohol is another good resource for cooking the preferred fuel on a sail boat ,fumes if any rise not fall so it does not linger in the boat. It is possible to make alcohol for your own use and barter .Just need a distillery and garbage.
    Gas on the other hand descends to the deepest parts of the boat and the slightest spark makes the boat into several pieces.
    Special starters and alternators are required on boats to prevent this from happening. Usually those that have done their own work and substituted automotive counter parts ,learn their lesson too late .
    By the way,, "especially if you are not accustomed to using alternative forms of cooking" , have a ABC fire extinguisher handy .
    I've seen people balancing things on camp stoves, simply itching for disaster .
    Post SHTF there will be no fire department, no medical ,and no insurance to fix your problems .
    What ever form of cooking you perform ,practice safety with it , and do it don't just put it in storage, use it .

ED GEiN and Dunerunner like this.
  8. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thank You

Good idea about the fire extinguisher! Any particular Kerosene Stove you'd recommend and where can you get it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Some one here a while back showed a source , most of what I know are antiqued I own . Antiques are out there available but most folk have no idea what they are or how to use them. .or what kind of market is interested.
    People are buying antique looking stuff and making lamps out of them (steam punk) utterly ruining the functionality of the tools it's self for the sake of art and $$$
    Thinking about that, you could hide in plain sight, a stove with a light n lamp shade, and NOT ruin it's functionality so that when the time comes to employ it ,you remove the light fixture and put the stove to use . No longer a storage issue.

ED GEiN and Tully Mars like this.
  10. jukk0u

jukk0u Monkey+++

Tampons/feminine napkins. Make sure you have lots for barter (wink - wink, nudge - nudge)

Women will be lined up at my door...

11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

How long do propane canisters last? I bought about 10 of them a year ago all in my closet. I was actually going yo try one out for the first time this month- I've never lit one before.

12. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

Forever or until rust eats a hole and let's the gas escape.

Tully Mars likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Lately it's been medical supplies and things health related .
    After reviewing the "letters from Venezuela" there are a great many more things like that , that become very hard to get .besides food .

14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]

SB21 likes this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There's always the 'old school' condom option

upload_2021-10-21_8-55-20.
    crafted from sheep's intestines. ;)

upload_2021-10-21_8-57-24.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Probably more important to know how to give birth seeing the population is diminished.

18. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

Some things I have not seen on the list.
    Tire tubes in whatever sizes you use
    Valve stems for your tubeless tires
    Tire plugs and extra plug tools
    Spark plugs
    Bulk spark plug wire with ends and boots
    Belts and hoses your equipment uses
    Manual tire pumps
    Tube patches and patch cement
    Axe / hammer handles and wedges
    Duplicate tools of all kinds (lifetime warranty means NOTHING in this situation)
    Any bearings and seals your equipment may need
    Solder, flux and wire crimp connectors

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have a particular fondness for the Aussie combat ration F.R.E.D.

[​IMG]
    Field Ration Eating Device

They are more versatile than the P38 or P51 can openers. I still have a few F.R.E.D.s left, even though I am retired from the green machine some decades past.

coloradohermit and hot diggity like this.
  20. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I buy much of my medical supplies knowing where nurses doctors and Vets live

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Ura-Ki and VisuTrac like this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Ganado
  3. DarkLight
  4. Motomom34
  5. DarkLight
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Motomom34
  8. ghrit
  9. Gopherman
  10. Falcon15