IT'S GONNA GET COLD!!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Wildbilly, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I know that some of y'all are cold already, but I'm in the South and we don't see weather like this regularly. The weather forecasts have been calling for WINTER weather for a week and every day the forecasts get worse! Now they are calling for ice, snow and single-digit temps.! Did I mention that this is Dixie? We are NOT used to and are NOT prepared for this shit! I mean, we have snow and ice storms every 5-10 years, and the temps can get really cold most years. I, and a lot of other people, have been acquiring or getting out their equipment and supplies to see us through the next week of extreme winter weather! Remember, this is the sunny South! Thankfully, I'm a prepper and I will get the chance to show my family just how smart I am! The emergency propane heat is on, the generator is ready, my car has a full tank of gas, I got some food and medicine yesterday at Wal-Mart, etc.. Now I can just sit back and enjoy a snow-day (maybe), after all in snow years I'm only 6 or 7 years old!:LOL:

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Better get accustomed to it because this planet is getting colder and it's not going to be changed by global government. The wackos plan to profit as much as possible from this event. The least we can do is prepare as best we can. Don't plan for warmer weather, plan for another ice age.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Don't be deceived the government has been working climate control for ages and this only feds into their plans.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Here in Not-Always-Warm North Florida, my weather app is calling for 29F. Tuesday night. We do get temps down into the 20s, even the teens, every several years. So not at all inprobable. We've been spoiled by fairly balmy winters the last several years.

john316, mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

But but I want my global warming

Zimmy, mysterymet, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I had to break-out the generator last spring when we had several trees go down across some powerlines and we were without power for 3 days. Luckly, the weather was warm enough that heating wasn't a big concern, and there was enough hot water in the water heater for me to wash up with. With the generator I was able to cook, and keep the freezer and refrigerator going. Next month's utility bill is gonna be high, as will be the water bill...from letting the water drip/run for a week!

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well, today it was 11 degrees at 2pm. It's now 6 degrees.
    We've got about a week of me having to get up in the middle of the night to add some more wood to the fireplace inserts upstairs and down.
    I haven't had to do that since last January.

CraftyMofo, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Funny thing about where I'm at in the desert the cold weather living in a camper, the refrigerator doesn't run as often as it did during the summer.
    I awake in the morning to about 47 degrees in the camper. It reminds me of the times I lived in the mountains in a small cabin and the water had to be shut off and drained and water was drawn from the hand pumped well, any water left in the kitchen sink over night was frozen solid.
    I actually miss those days.
    In those days we saved electricity putting a few jugs of water out side at night in the snow to freeze and during the day in the fridge/freezer.
    In those days accumulations of 6' or more of snow were not uncommon.
    Seems those accumulations are getting rarer every year.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

It got down to 59 here. That's unheard of!

CraftyMofo, Gator 45/70 and natshare like this.
  10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I remember on Guam, a "cold" January morning would get down to 70 degrees! Natives and people who were long time transplants would be running around with sweatshirts, sweaters or jackets on. I'd still be in shirt sleeves, just happy to have a day where I wouldn't be sweating like a pig, and smelling like a goat, by the end of the work day! :rolleyes:;)

11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

It was 59 (daytime high) here a few days ago, and will be again in a week or so!

CraftyMofo, Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  12. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@natshare I have literally been freezing and am kind of shocked because I grew up in Western WA and this isn't that cold is it? :eek:
    Where in Guam were you? My Dad grew up in Piti with the Marianas Trench as his literal backyard. My cousin is in his 2nd term as Mayor of Piti. We were actually trying to decide between Guam or here, but I thought it would be easier to import cats to Hawaii. I spent time in Guam during my earliest years and am hoping to go back soon. I'll probably melt in that humidity though. I remember showering and still sweating.

natshare, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I hope you'll have fun using some of your prepper gear during this cooler weather. It sounds like you're well prepared! Stay warm.

CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

It was 60F. here an hour ago. It's now 49F. Weather Bug says 36F. low tonight - North Florida. :rolleyes:

Alanaana, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Yup, gonna be a cold one in a day or so...mid teens in southern Louisiana isn't the norm, but every few years it'll get cold. Last time was 2018.
    Probably one of the few around here with a functional wood stove - and seasoned firewood ready to go. Backup power is ready in case ice/wind takes down the grid.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm going to make gumbo and when it gets too cold I'm getting in the pot of gumbo to stay warm!

17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

A Cajun hot tub!:LOL:

18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

With practically every major university being woke and most scientific "experts" on the payroll of some foundation or corporate entity, you're going to be hard pressed to find non-biased material concerning the history of this planets weather. Suffice it to say, we are living in a very unusually warm period (thankfully so, because that's what allows life to flourish) but the true records indicate (as opposed to the ones manipulated to fit a certain narrative) that this planet has 100's of thousands of year glacial periods, that the "normal" average temperature is much lower, and that humans have absolutely nothing to do with any of this. Like usual, ignoring the giant glowing orb in the sky is just par for course with academia.

We are heading into uncharted territory for this iteration of humanity, and one thing to consider is the Earth's protective magnetic field. As this continues to weaken, we will see increasing fluctuations (hotter days, colder nights) and other weather related extremes. That's just the good news. The bad news is, if things ever do get to where the radical Leftists claim and polar ice caps melt at alarming rates, this would destabilize the Beaufort Gyre to the extent at which the result ends up desalinating oceans until they freeze, and once this happens it takes a little while to reverse the process. So, it's not "global warming" (which is why they renamed it to "Climate Change" a while back) we need to be concerned with, it's the NATURAL PROCESS that humans have no control over or reason to believe they cause in the first place. If we look at the history of temperatures of the planet over millions of years, we are definitely living in a warming period and what follows is not a warmer period, it's cold...a lot of cold for a long time.

19. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Just got home from the Lions game, -5 outside!! Chilly walk to the vehicle after the game.

20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Football ? BC Lions ? wow thats warmer than I up north . -25c
    Agreed @Brokor
    Fresh water floats over sea/salt water . Spent the 70's flying over the north DEW line area checking for underwater craft . Many a swim in the arctic ocean and deltas .
    We could see ships trails from days ago , subs had a different marking trails .
    Sloth

Alanaana, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7