It's Not Enough

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Was doing a deep dive today on some preparedness research. Found this article to be very on point and share worthy. One has to continually sharpen the knife and be prepared.
    It’s Not Enough | The Lizard Farmer (wordpress.com)

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I always harp to everyone, train, train, and train some more, take all that Tactical Gucci crap and hump it through the woods for a few miles then set a camp in the rain, get a fire going, shelter up/made and security set, then talk to me about how prepared you actually are, If my fat ass can do it, so can you! I have over 40 years of training and experience in survival, combat medical, combat tactics, Intel gathering, and general trouble making, and yet, all those skills are perishable if you don't use them! Ask me when the last time I treated a trauma, ask me the last time I squared off against a superior number of tangos, ask me the last time I out shot a goat fucker intent on killing him an Infidal, ask me the last time I used kids to get Intel on daddy the baddy and then rolled him up! It all goes to shit if you don't use it regularly! I train, train some more, and then train after that, as best I can now that I am the one footing the bill for ammo and all that, but it's better then the rest I will likely face off with, 99.99.99% of the rest don't even know what I know, let alone have any experience doing it live and in color, and that one time I gotta go loud with a guy who knows what he is doing, I gotta be that much better or I'm fucked!
    Train, train some more, then train again and again and again until you can do it in your sleep passed out drunk, then you might be ready! Until then, you gotta train! Like I said, if this old fart can still rock the block, so can you!

enloopious, Gator 45/70, GOG and 5 others like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Training really is important. Just yesterday I opened my beer bottle and went to take a swig, and wouldn't you know it? I dribbled down my chin, got my perfectly cleaned T-Shirt spattered with fine Belgian ale. Now I have to commit even more time than ever to the repetitious training required to lift my bottle to the exact location I need to drink.
    It's hard work, but I just know it will pay off in the end. [booze]

Ganado, john316, Lancer and 11 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well @Brokor, at least you are ahead of Herr Presidente PoopyPants, He not only dribbles down his front, he is required, by his Secret Service Detail, to wear “Depends” because they are tired of cleaning up his Shit, so he can meet the Pope…

5. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I can barely get around Walmart with sitting down. I guess I'm going to be the com guy.

enloopious, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Us Old Fart Comm Guys gots to stick together, @madmax…..

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, I have given up trying to get my radio group to expand out and include more medical training. They just don't get it. I think most are afraid of looking the fool. Screw'em. When the first one is shot and they fall all over themselves trying to get a CAT on then they will get it. Train until you don't even think about what you are doing, it's second nature.

enloopious, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm at the point where I will take one for the team and draw the aggressors out so my boys can get a better angle on them. Lost the feeling in my left leg from the knee down due to vein harvesting for my bypass surgery and it hasn't come back. Lost 10 pounds of muscle mass and haven't been able to gain it back. There is always space for cannon fodder in the unit.

3M-TA3, enloopious, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  9. madmax

hmm. Dunerunner. Thought about that scenario more than once. I'm ok with it.

10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

We have pretty much given up on expanding out local radio group ( We just use CBs) with two of the guys semi into HAM So we have 5 of us that participate and run into "I have my smart phone, why would I bother with a mobile or base CB?" Sheriffs office still keeps a CB base station on and participates so I guess that would make 6. Might not be secure coms but has been useful in the past and could be real useful in the future. Just wish we could get even 5 more to participate even just doing our weekly radio check.

enloopious, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  11. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Sound like me since 2016...... I am not totally worthless I can always be the bait!

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. madmax

I need a better antenna (said every ham).

Moose, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Dunerunner @Thunder5Ranch
    Screw that talk! Take up a defensive position and make the bastards pay to dig you out. Perhaps you're old and worn out - hell - in a way that's GOOD! You got nothing to lose and everything to gain by sending some of these filths to an early grave. You think they feel the same way? And besides, you both can still maintain a damn good defensive posture as doesn't take much health or vigor to pull a trigger. All it will take is killing 2-3 of them for everyone of us and the cost will be too high. They will get the message damn quick. Bait my a$$!

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Just remember, fellas...even Master Yoda walked around with a cane and groaned as he walked, but when it came time to kick ass, he broke out the light saber and reminded them who was Boss.
    Of course Yoda wasn't real, but...point is don't let them see you comin'. ;)

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Gonna do a bit of ''practice'' today and bring a bucket, Brass is you're friend !

enloopious and Yard Dart like this.
  16. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I've got a bad heart and poor circulation (30%) in my right leg as well as the high blood pressure and other stuff that goes with it.
    Needless to say I won't be running and gunning if SHTF. But that's why I have an M1A. I figure a bunch of fast, loud 7.62 NATO in mass quantities should make folks think twice.

Dunerunner, Bandit99, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  17. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

M1A is sweet. Mini-Gun would be better, but most of those are unobtainium

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  18. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Don't forget claymores.

bf99e13fc3a4aa92.

Sunnyvibes, Ganado, 3M-TA3 and 9 others like this.
  19. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

Now that is what i need.
    [flag]

20. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

2 bad kees here ,, going under the bone saw mid January to hopefully fix one of'em ,, 3-4 months later ,, sawing on the other one. Not sure how it's all going to turn out ,, I doubt it'll make me 30 years younger,,, so I'll take up a position on a grassy knoll and hold out as long as possible . For God and Country ,, I'll give'em hell as long as I can .

GOG, Gray Wolf, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  1. Garand69
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Matei
  8. Matei
  9. Motomom34
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Yard Dart