It's time to start next year's garden (EASY)

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by mrghostwalker, Sep 26, 2017.

1. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

For those of you thinking about starting a garden, or expanding the one you have, I have an easy way to do. (Easy means less effort) This works very well on sod.

1) Start your new beds in the fall.
    2) Frame in new beds using untreated lumber (this wouldn't work for those of you with long rows so you can skip that part).
    3) Cover the new beds with a thick layer of Autumn leaves.
    4) Wait until Spring and plant your vegetables.

That's it.

What I've found is by covering the sod it breaks down without my help. By Spring all that's left is soft, loamy soil. No digging or chopping up the sod.
    For the frames I use 10x2. Your beds can be whatever size you want. I've got 4' by 12' for most things and some 4' by 4' for permanent beds of asparagus, horseradish, Rhubarb, etc. So far the untreated lumber has lasted over ten years.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Welcome to Survival Monkey @mrghostwalker. Do you till your leaves into the soil? I have always worked them in.

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seepalaces and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I tried lasagna gardening one year. I layered down cardboard, probably 10 layers deep. Then leaves. Coffee Grounds. Newspaper. Rabbit poop. More leaves. Later rinse repeat. Oh the wire grass I layered 2 foot of stuff on top absolutely loved it. Prettiest raised beds of grass you ever saw the following summer. Looked like I had 2 ft high raised beds of hay waiting to be baled. The peppers I actually planted there, OTOH...

(y'all southerners who are thinking of trying this.... napalm the bermuda first.)

5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

This.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

Nope- just leave them be and use them as mulch. Add more the next year.

7. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Bermuda, not so much of a problem here. That F'n crab grass, however!! Covered with cardboard (to kill it....HA!!), ~11" of soil mixed on top of that, then planted. Bordered 8" around the boxes, on the outside, in the hopes it would keep the crabgrass out of the boxes (HA, again!!). Pulling out some old pumpkin vines this morning I found, no kidding, a crabgrass runner that was at LEAST 4 feet long, coming out from under the box!! Starting to think the only way to get rid of that stuff, is to follow Ripley's (from Aliens movie) advice, and "Take off, then nuke the site from orbit"!! :rolleyes:

@mrghostwalker I understand that most people advise to stay away from treated lumber, but that advice goes back to the days when they used chemicals that included arsenic, to prevent insects from eating up the wood. Different chemicals are used, these days, that are more plant, and people, friendly. So unless you have the bank account to be able to afford cedar or redwood (and the means to obtain it), pressure treated lumber works quite well. Especially when you're first starting out, before you want to sink a bunch of $$$ into building above ground boxes. (y)

Heck, I (and others) have been eating off this garden, all summer long....
    08132017-01.
    ...without ANY ill effects, and my boxes were built with pressure treated 2x6 lumber, stacked 2 high.

See? ZERO ill effects!!
    sloth. [LMAO]

Alanaana and ditch witch like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7