Itunes and Linux

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by Yoldering, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

So far I have talked a lot of people into using Linux. however, today I had someone ask if Itunes worked with Linux. Since I don't listen to music and I have never used Itunes, I could not answer that question. A short google search later I found that it is possible. Have any of you ever tried? If so, what flavor of Linux did you use?

Right now I am just interested in the actual itunes app and not an alternative.

2. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Bump...Any help?

3. jmcglash

jmcglash Monkey+

You are out of luck. Apple has not made a linux version of itunes and the general feeling is they will not in the foreseeable future.

There are limited options for some releases of itunes running under wine or crossover, which are windows runtime emulation layers for linux, it is unreliable at best.

There are ways to manage ipods but that is not your quest.

Jim

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have never been successful.
    My workaround is to install a flavor of Windows as a virtual machine (I use Virtualbox) and then run windows and iTunes in a window on my Linux install.

Apple encrypts the itunes sync data so it's nearly impossible to get a fully functioning alternative although there are a few amazing music players in Linux that can read from the ipod, ipad, iphone.

5. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Thanks!

6. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I am running PCLinuxOS 2011.6 with kernel 2.6.38.8 and the repository shows:
    minitunes
    firefly-media-server
    ipod-sharp

and others.... I don't partake of iTunes but it looks like you can do this directly under linux. One of the above apps loads your IPod.

GB

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

That works to manage and play music off of your device (many distros do this now) but if you have to rely on iTunes for syncing/updating of a device Apple Style, you're still out of luck. Then again, with iOS 5 and 'PC-less' use (backup to iCloud), this may become a non-issue.

I've recently begun to research solutions for combining all of our home iTunes libraries into one on either my wife's mac or on a Mac Mini or other Windows based machine, then just using the wifi sync to keep all 4 ios devices in line.

I current;ly use WiFi sync to my Windows 7 running in vbox.

8. strunk

strunk Monkey+

Amarok is a more than capable alternative to iTunes, FWIW.

9. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Over the Christmas vacation I gave this another whirl... I could not get Itunes to actually work with WINE. It would install and load, and then freeze. So, I used melbo's suggestion. I build an XP image in virtualbox and it works very well. It was a nice learning experience. I have not had a need to use a VM before. Thanks again melbo!

10. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

The free version of Media Monkey is the best alternative that I have found. It syncs with every device.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7