I've got an old Schrader Wood Stove that needs the gaskets replaced

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Retread, Oct 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Retread

Retread Monkey

I should say needs door gaskets for the first time. It came with the house back in '93 and was relatively new. This model was designed (for lack of a better word) without door gaskets in mind but does have a channel for one. The doors on this stove are in great shape with no warping but am looking to install gaskets for whatever amount of increased efficiency I can muster. Now to figure out what size gasket and whether rope or flat gasket would work best. The space available is 7/8". I have seen gaskets applied on the same model but no one know what size or style the original was. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

What is the depth of the groove? And, welcome to the forum.

Retread, sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

You could always pick up some play-doh and make various sized ropes...see which size fits the channel best when compressed.

Welcome...and btw, those were bad for the doors warping, so don't expect miracles ;)

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Once upon time wasn't an asbestos gasket material made just for stoves?
    I remember having some at one time 1/2x1/2 and compressed when you tighten it down .

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Should be able to get it at a Tractor Supply store.

Zimmy, Retread, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We replaced the Door Gasket on our Wood Sove two years ago... It came as a kit from the Stove Sales outfit in town, a white Braided Rope about 7/8” dia and we cut to length... Used a White HiTemp Glue that came in a Squeeze Tube to glue the Rope in place... Good for another 15 years...

Zimmy, Retread, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Ace hardware typically has the kits in store...just need to get the right size.

8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I replace mine about every two years. One the door is easy to shut. The seal helps keep air leakage down which increaces burn time once it is dampered. They glue in with a special glue you can get were you but the seal.

Retread, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I have a old schrader in one of the barns and it works with a 3/8ths rope but is a lot more efficient with a 5/8ths crammed in the door groove. Schrader had 8 main models and were never known for their efficiency, very dirty burners but they do put out a lot of heat. Can get pretty much every size of fiber glass rope at Rural King, TSC, Lowes, Menards Home Depot and thousands of mom n pop stove shops. The rope is not nearly as important as getting the channel clean and using a very high quality high temp glue or cement. I would say as cheap as the fire ropes are just buy all 3 common sizes 3/8ths 5/8ths and 7/8ths and see which one works best on yer stove, then return the two that don't work ;)

Retread, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

Local stove shop does mine. He knows better than I do what size it is, has a press to hold it until it sets, and wire brushes out the channel and charges about twice what I would have to pay at TS for the kit. But then I bought the stove from him about 12 years ago, he got me a new door handle when it broke, said no charge as it shouldn't break, and I would like to see him stay in business. Bought my cleaning rods and special brush for stainless chimney pipe from him for same reason. If you want the local business to be around, you have to patronize them when ever you can or they disappear. YMMV

11. Retread

Retread Monkey

3/8" is the depth of the groove. Sorry for the delay in responding, was out of town. Thank you for your response

I guess you could say I lucked out. The door are straight as an arrow. Tried the paper test on both and could not put it out without ripping.

We have a Coastal farm supply store I will try. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2018
  1. Gator 45/70
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Motomom34
  4. VisuTrac
  5. Hillbilly549
  6. BenP
  7. BenP
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. duane