Jump Drives

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seacowboys, May 22, 2009.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

One of the things that I have in each of my BOBs is a 2-gig jump drive that has all of my important papers scanned on it, pictures that I would never want to loose, and pictures of most of the valuables (for Insurance purposes). There is also a copy of my firearms data-base and supplies inventory. This is all encrypted to prevent anyone without the key from accessing so if it falls into the wrong hands, unless they know my childhood pets name and birthday and species (Nellie the elephant, November 4, 1864?), they are SOL and get gibberish. It is simple to duplicate several drives and keep them in safe places (one in my safe, one in my truck, one in my SDB, sent one to my Dad and have one in each BOB. I found these on clearence sale (six-packs) for around $45.00 at an office supply.

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup, I've got something similar. I've got a couple of thumb drive (jump drives, what ever they are called this week) that have clear text data and an encrypted area. Included in the encrypted area is my email client (thunderbird), so if I'm someplace that has a PC and internet, I can get my email easily. Thunderbird also as a plug-in installed that allows me to send and receive encrypted emails.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We backup our photos and documents on external hard drive and flash drives. What encryption program do you use?

4. kckndrgn

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thumb drives have been almost completely banned by the military. If you plug one into your work computer, it will be wiped and locked. I believe that this is coming to the civilian world as well, so be prepared. We are back to saving everything on DVDs again.

6. kckndrgn

yeah, our IS dept at work (civilian) just "banned" the use of "personal" thumbdrives. That sucks, but oh well, gotta do what the man says or you loose your job.

Guess I'll just make an encrypted file on my PC (that's not banned yet).

Bascially I run my thunderbird from the encrypted part of my drive, keep some household information, etc.

Oh, and something I just found out is that Truecrypt is written for Winblows, Mac, & Linux. Since my laptop now runs Ubuntu, that is great!

7. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

It can not be wise to jump and drive at the same time.

8. E.L.

[fnny][lolol][ROFL]:D

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I use a I Pod and roll up solar charger hold videos and files with ease lots of room.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

That's a cool idea and I'll probably borrow it but I still think the jump-drives are the best bargain because for less than the cost on one i-pod, I got six copies to leave in different baskets.

11. E.L.

DAMMIT!!!!! I lost my IPOD and cannot find it anywhere! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Quig, where did you get the roll up solar charger?

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

13. zarraza

zarraza Survivalist in training

GREAT IDEA i never really thought of this!

2 questions - First - do you have a BLANK template of that firearms database / supplies inventory? that would be a handy tool i'm sure that everyone in this community could use.

second - where did you find a 6pack of drives for $45? less than $8 seems VERY reasonable for 2GB!

oh yeah, sorry, one more question - what kind of pictures of valuables did you take? I have a LOT of crap in my house (not really crap but the GF keeps saying it is) and I'm not sure I know what to take pictures of for insurance - do you actually have pics of serial numbers and model numbers, or basically just pictures of the fronts of stuff - like TVs? stereos? DVD players? etc?

14. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

Think about insulating your jump drive and wrapping it in foil before packing it away. I would even go so far as to put the wrapped jump drive in a Ziplock or waterproof container. It's then protected against water and EMP.

15. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7