Keeping your BOL secure to the best possible extent

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Beano, Apr 2, 2013.

1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Consider the prevailing wind patterns for location and possible drift from potential dangers. That travel trailer is not a bad idea. We have an old dual axle thingy that is ugly as home made sin but it rolls and is self contained. Hook it behind the little RV and we have an instant village--lol. If we have to BO hopefully we can put everything needed into the rolling stock. We did it one time but there has been a substantial amount added. That spot between the parks w/pond sounds nice. Hope it works out for you.

2. Boarding up windows is only moderately effective at most. One only has to look at what happens to many (read: most, if you leave them long enough) inner city abandoned houses. The copious quantities of pictures of the slums of Detroit seems the most persuasive indicator.

Obviously, there's a balance which has to be struck between "complete security" (of which there's no such thing anyway) and modest security, and that balance will depend on the local situation and factors like how much you stand to lose through theft.

Even in very rural areas, don't underestimate the general boredom of teenagers to want to see what's inside of seemingly abandoned places. Even where there's no intent of theft, kids can often be curious and will want to see what's inside.

In that situation I would opt to forego ordinary windows and install either ballistic grade plastic (as the ideal solution), or jury-rig a similar set-up yourself by installing multiple layers of the thickest lexan (or similar) you can reasonably get hold of. I'd still board the windows up as you had planned to, but having a second layer of security would probably dissuade most casual attackers who's effort may be limited to wanting to throw a rock through an ordinary window to gain entry.

I would also opt to bury my supplies in a secure cache which (IMHO) should well away from the cabin with the entryway covered over by leaves or (better bet) a thick layer of dirt (yes, it would be work digging it up when you get to the cabin which may be extra work you don't want... but... the price of security).

------------------------

QUOTE: "... As for keeping it secure when you're not around...The more secure you make, the more intrigued a thief will be, and the more they will tear up wanting to find out what's inside..."

Although, that alternate theory somebody mentioned has a lot of merit. Largely depends what kind of person stumbles upon your place. That's a crap shoot.... you never know.... you just have to play the odds. I think the odds say that minimal security probably dissuades the majority of people, so that would be my choice.

However, if I wanted to go with the opposing theory, I'd just leave the cabin (if by "cabin," you really mean something like a pre-fab sheds that you can buy at Home Depot) completely open with nothing in it. Let curious George's look inside, and then when they see nothing is in it, they'll either just go away and leave it alone, else if they are really bored, they'll come back and spray paint the inside of your place which may or may not be a big deal to you.

3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

So far as bringing construction materials back through trees, consider the idea of using an ATV (smaller, easier to fit between trees) hauling a sled type cart behind it. Might have to make a few more trips than with a trailer, but you should be able to get back into the trees a ways, and be out of sight of the road.
    Electrical I would have brought onto the land by pole-supported wires, then I'd go buried conduit to wherever you need it. A ditch witch can be rented, used to dig through wherever it will fit, then the ditch filled back in after you lay down the conduit (you can also direct-bury the wires, if code allows). Within a season, your ditch should be practically invisible, as the grass will grow back in to hide it.
    If your land is within cell phone range, you can put an alarm system on your cabin that supports a cell phone, versus land line. Might not help much, if you're a 90-minute drive away, but at least you'd know whenever someone broke in. Some well hidden cameras and a dvr would let you know who the perp was.
    Oh, and if you're building on a slab, you can always excavate first, put in a basement for storage, with a concrete roof on top that could be disguised as a slab (just can't have your basement walls showing from outside the house), and have a hidden, well-secured doorway leading down into it. Combination storage and deep shelter! [rockon]

BushcrafterAnthony likes this.
  4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not sure of the exact setting but sounds similar to my area. If so, find opportunities to go help the full time neighbors with some work and make nice with them. In most rural areas ANY stranger is noticed even if they don't think they were seem at all and recognized as strangers and what they are up too. If youre ' the idiot in the city that owns that place' no one cares what happens on your place if it dissent effect them. If on the other hand you are ' the guy that comes and lends a hand' and 'a real good neighbor' the place will be watched so basic locks to keep honest folks honest should be plenty.

Good terms with decent neighbors can be the best asset a place can offer.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7