Kerosene for long term storage fuel.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by duane, Aug 29, 2021.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

I have a 1942 9N ford tractor that is in fairly good shape. That year you could buy a tractor that came from the factory with a carb that used kerosene. Given that you can store kerosene in a sealed metal container with nitrogen instead of air in the can for many years, would this be a better way to go than diesel? The old high sulfur based fuel had a storage time of several years, the new formulation is good for 6 months or so without additives. While the wood gas conversion would be the best long term way to go, has anyone else played with kerosene as an alternative fuel for diesel? Don't really want to ruin my diesel tractor by just using it, but has anyone else tried it in a diesel and if so, what did they use as additives?

Fuel Storage - How To Store Fuel For The Long Haul

Here is one source that states that if you use a lubricant, they suggest Marvel Mystery Oil, it will lubricate the old style mechanical injector pumps enough to prevent damage.

Can I Use Kerosene in my Diesel? | Blain's Farm & Fleet Blog

And a comment on diesel additives used to increase lubrication.

Info: - Lubricity Additive Study Results

While it is about 50 % more in price here at present for it than gasoline or diesel, you can burn it in lamps, stoves, heaters, etc if stored untreated. Lot more options than gasoline.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

BG diesel Additive , in 3.96L here or 1 USG..
    Hidden , but around and sulfa r adds

duane and sec_monkey like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A little bit of washed bacon grease lubes it up real nice.
    A half cup in 5 gallons is plenty.

duane likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have burned Diesel in my Gensets in Alaska, that came from sealed 55USG Drums that were dated and produced in 1943… Never had an issue with running any of that.. and never had an issue burning #1 Diesel from similar labeled Drums, either… Just filter it good and keep the water out, and you are good to go…

duane and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Kero should run just fine in your diesel, if a little smokey/sootey! I usually run it in mine in small amounts, blended with my LL-02 Road Fuel, or alternately, because i'm around the air port all the time, I can squirt a few gallons of Jet-A in the tank on my way to/from and be good to go! Out side of that, I have several thousand gallons of Jet-A delivered, diesels run better on it at the altitudes and temps we have, especially in the winter! Just watch your tanks for water and treat as needed!

1. pinkerpv
  2. Bandit99
  3. oldman11
  4. TnAndy
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Biogas Notes 2008

Biogas Notes, By Paul Harris. [IMG]
    Posted By: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 21, 2018 in category: Energy