La Niña Advisory Issued. Milder and Drier This Winter?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Nov 16, 2017.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

This La Niña is expected to be relatively weak and short-lived. Typically, warmer- and drier-than-normal conditions occur over the South Central U.S. during a La Niña winter. The below image shows the average difference (anomaly) in rainfall for weak La Niña winters (December-January-February). Only years were used that had an Oceanic Niño Index (one of the indices NOAA uses to assess El Niño or La Niña events) of -1.0°C or less. NOAA considers anything -0.5°C or less as a La Niña.

The Cattleman Now » Livestock Weather for Nov. 10, 2017: La Niña Advisory Issued. Milder and Drier This Winter?

In short, got live stock? Purchase enough hay to last into late spring because we may run out of moisture close to the surface to support early growth of grass stocks.

2. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Maybe. The weather predicting by the professionals, Sucks. Better to just look outside. I bet we get plenty of snow this winter.

3. HK_User

Let me know how that works out for South Texas.

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We got SNOW happening as I type this... Definitly Global Cooling in action....

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. HK_User

Snow! In Alaska In Mid November? Really?

sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

How unusual.....definite evidence of global cooling..... :D Alaska Temperatures

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

hmmmm obviously all weather guessers agree 100% NOT!!! I saw a computer map on this subject in the last couple weeks, and THAT winter forecast was that due to el nino the lower half of the country USA, would be a warmer dryer winter than normal. Mean while the upper half would be colder and with more snow storms. Amazing how these two forecasts are mirror images ... is it not. LET'S ROLL THE DICE AGAIN AND GIVE THE VIEWING PUBLIC ANOTHER ADJUSTED FORECAST. .... duh

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'm just hoping for a winter where I don't have to shovel 168 inches of Global warming off the driveway... (2011-2012)

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The PNW is seeing a lot of snow this year, and it's a lot earlier then "normal" and at lower altitudes then normally seen! Going to be an interesting winter! I hear last season was pretty bad, and I hope we don't have any of the really nasty ice storms we had when I was a kid! That would bring the cities to their knees! Large scale, long term power outages, and a serious lack of logistical support in the food industry! We had one season in Portland that had ice for 2 weeks solid, and we were with out power most of that two weeks. Stores were not getting food, and the roads were almost impassable with out real chains and 4 wheel drive. We were well prepared, we had several months of food put up, we had several cords of firewood, and we had three large working fireplaces with one high output wood stove that we cooked on. We also had a 4wheel drive F 250 and old school ice breaker chains in all four wheels! We could walk to the store, we could walk to the gas station for gas, propane, and kerosene for the Colman stoves and storm lamps! We had it made compared to most!

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Looking forward to my Tennessee beach front property

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I hate la nina years.
    Means dry and dust storms in summer and -0°F temperatures in winter.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. HK_User

Move South.

oldawg, Seawolf1090 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Nah - I don't really care for Canada....

Ura-Ki and BTPost like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I glanced in the Farmers Almanac a while back, and it said where I'm at, the southeast , was supposed to be cooler and wetter this year. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    An older fella told me one time , " the weatherman is just trying to guess what the lord is going to do on that day " , I believe he's right.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7