Land Navigation (with sub-categories)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Brokor, Sep 13, 2015.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

@Brokor, that is good stuff to know.

The most important real world test of compass navigation is at night. While still at The Basic School (at 35) I chose not to do an offset around water that I could not detect the size of by throwing things in all directions. The beaver was surprised to find me fording his pond, but the water was only chest deep and I didn't get off course.
    It was a little colder and whiter in Norway, but when we got lost on our midnight skiing trips we could always break out a compass and find our way home.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

While you're thinking of navigation, don't forget that your magnetic compass and GPS widget won't agree on which way is north unless you dial in compensation.

Brokor likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE here.... "Compensation" is called Declination...

ghrit, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

It truly is excellent. What we need is someone to turn all of these into one (1) large PDF for download. Unfortunately, I cannot do that so... I guess I will make a large WORD document instead.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

FM - Field Manuals - FM 3-25.26 Land Navigation

Garand69 and Bandit99 like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thanks, Brokor! I.O.U.

7. I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this "but" you forgot the declination diagram in the bottom right hand corner. Showing you the difference between magnetic north and true north.

8. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Usually true, however, magnetic north moves and will continue, so the date of the map printing becomes interesting. Land navigation is seldom precise enough to warrant correcting all data for time.

Brokor likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

We do happen to be living in interesting times, with the pole reversal getting underway, makes magnetic declination a bit of a pain. Things will get back to normal eventually, whether it may be in our lifetime or not. Using the USGS to acquire the most recent maps is a solid bet.
    Click this link to find out more:
    Best maps for SHTF

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

This is a nifty way of configuring military maps for ease of tactical storage and access.

Also the post resurrects a thread that hasn't been contributed to for a few years.

11. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

That set of info took me all the way back to Ft Benning in 1987.

1. Brokor
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. TailorMadeHell
  8. Brokor
  9. Brokor
  10. Yard Dart
  11. CATO
  12. redsoxnation32