Land ownership and land use in USA.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by duane, Sep 6, 2018.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

As suggested by ghrit, I think it is time to put to bed the mistaken idea that anyone "owns" land in the US. We may have title to it or may be making payments on land that the bank owns and gives you some rights of use, but no one has any real rights of use. Using New Hampshire, the Live Free or Die state, for an example and having had no mortgage or liens on the property since 1980 and that is located in what used to be a semi rural area, I must pay a yearly property tax that is about 1/2 of the original purchase price of the property, pay a license fee on my cars, trucks, tractors, dogs, etc, and pay for permits to build, cut timber, operate many businesses, pay for zoning approval and submit expert witness documents to "improve" my property, $1600 to get a permit to put a culvert in an area where my tractor got stuck, am not allowed to use many farming inputs to my land, manure stinks and it or other ag chemicals may pollute some ones water, keep roosters if crowing bothers neighbors, have bull in a pasture that isn't as strong as Fort Knox, etc. This is the local government enforcing it rules and the state laws. My land can be taken for the public good and I will be paid some amount for it, the state or the feds can tell me what I can store or use on the land, EPA, BATT, OSHA, Corps of Army Engineers, and all of the other agencies protecting us and our neighbors. Then I must register my well, report any large uses of water, test it and get it approved before I sell my property, get local, state, and federal permits to build a pond or alter a waterway, get permits if I am going to keep over so many animals and show how the manure is going to be disposed of. The different levels of government have the right to inspect my property basically at will to check for building code violations, fire dangers, tax maps and valuations, matters of public health, checking for illegal actions, I have firearms, a green house, a garden, cut firewood on land that does not have a fence or a wall between my land and that of my neighbors, cost $500 to get land surveyed and trees blazed along the line when new "neighbor" moved in and thought he owned all the woods, etc. Now I know in some states the question of water rights, mineral rights, access to land and mineral rights, protection of endangered species, protection of native antiquities, etc make my problems seem minor.
    I can not sell a house without septic system, well, electric power, a heat source, meeting building and housing codes, etc and get a mortgage, and thus it will be nearly valueless in any normal real estate system. While I am able to work thru most of the problems, having lived here 50 years and knowing the town officials, any new comer who arrives and does not meet the approval of even 1 person in town is severally limited as the officials will first cover their butt and always rule against you, and you have to document your actions, and pay for surveys, inspections, court filings, required documents, etc, and they will bleed you to death with a thousand minor cuts.
    We are talking about the legal restrictions on your "land", haven't even touched on the questions of the fertility of the land, sun exposure, possible land or water contamination, deed restrictions or codes, historic district, water district, sewer district, community or condo codes and restrictions, etc.
    Doesn't make any difference where you live, Alaska or Utah, the rules exist and just may not be enforced at this time.

3M-TA3, Brokor, Mountainman and 2 others like this.
  2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

In KY if you have a farm (10+) acres you can do pretty much what you want. They will not inspect your house construction, even if you ask them. You can opt-out of the plumbing codes. They do require an electrical inspection if you want to connect to the grid. They tax vehicles, property and sales, they also have a state income tax. I have seen several vehicles marked "In Transit" with no license plates running around so I assume the police are just ignoring them; I think these are those sovereign citizen guys. Speaking of police, all my experiences with them have been pleasant. One time I stopped to help a guy who had crashed on an icy bridge on I75, when the state trooper got there he shined his flashlight on my truck license plate and said "Boy, you know that thing is 9 months expired?" I said "Yep." He said "You better get that taken care of." Another time I was speeding up I75 to see my girlfriend now wife in my Buick Grand National and got pulled over by the sheriff for going 95 mph in a 70 zone. I put my gun on the passenger seat and handed him my license. He came around to the passenger side and after I showed him how to get the bullets out took my gun and license back to his car. He came back to my window and said "Why where you driving so fast?" I said "Well, this is a straight boring section of road and I was listening to an audio book just not paying attention." He handed me my gun and license back, shook my hand and said "Be safe!" I hear CPS Child Protective Services and the school truancy officers have been difficult to deal with for home schoolers in the past but I think the recent uptick in drugs has created a lot more work for them now and they are focused on the children who are actually in danger.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

On 10 acres I pay 88.00 a year in taxes, Classified as timber.
    On another 2.5 acres I pay 48.00 a year in taxes, Classified as timber.
    Mineral rights become mine after 7 years of non production of any wells.
    Main house in a different parish is 850.00 or so a year, I will be moving one day soon from this place!

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Idaho property laws are...not great, but I think it has a lot to do with the County I am living. This County is growing, way too fast, mostly from Californians abandoning the Golden State and coming here. If I moved just 5 miles farther North, I would be in a different County and a totally different world concerning property taxes and building permits and all the other BS... I loved it here and it still is a great place but I'll probably move farther North in a few more years.

3M-TA3, Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Had that same exact problem Fortunately I had it surveyed when I bought it and had it well pinned and filed it with the court house. Which saved a lot of expense and time dealing with this tool.

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Here is a fellow leasing massive amount of land - farms out of production. This in rural MO.

Worth listening to the full video. He leases land because 100% of the lease cost is tax deductible

Money quote
    Your focus should be on controlling the land, not owing the land....

There are several more vids in the series. I was very impressed with Mr, Judy and his operation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and natshare like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The exact strategy of both the US government (at home) and ho chi minh.
    I think this guy is on to something.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Also why it's important, to know whether you control the mineral rights, for any land that you own.....because, if you don't, anyone can come on the land, set up a well (or start digging a hole...aka "mine"), and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it!

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not necessarily. Physical access to the land surface absent permission is trespass, regardless of mineral rights.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Also not an in Alaska, as any land purchased thru the State or Municipal Land Act has NO Mineral Rights associated with it, as they. were stripped by the State before they we sold to the Public... The same is true for TideLands....

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"The exact strategy of both the US government (at home) and ho chi minh."..."anyone can come on the land, set up a well..." Municipal Land Act has NO Mineral Rights associated with it, as they. were stripped by the State before they we sold to the Public... The same is true for TideLands…"

You know...this place sucks. Freedom by buttocks! What one needs is a Firefly! "Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't coming back...I don't' care, I'm still free, you can't take the skies from me..." I think I will go dig out that old series as it always makes me feel better to watch it...escapism, pure and simple.

Dont and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7