Las Vegas hit by a plague of biblical proportions...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Jul 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Of grasshoppers of all things.

Grasshoppers in Vegas: Swarms of grasshoppers invade Las Vegas: "Everybody was going crazy" - CBS News

Grasshopper invasion makes its mark on Las Vegas weather radar

So many they show up on the NEXTRAD radar system
    [​IMG]

Due to recent rains - a very wet summer, the grasshoppers are swarming.

Not to be confused with the periodic swarms of so-called 'Mormon crickets' seen in central UT/NV
    every few years
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The crickets make driving hazardous. I can say from personal experience that is is worse than driving on black ice... I suspect driving in Las Vegas is as bad.

The swarms may last for weeks....

2. DKR

[​IMG]
    eeewwwwwwww

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I was in northern NV in 2006 and they were having a good locus plague.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I lived in Northern NV from 1993 to 2007. Used to get those Mormon Crickets in waves crossing the roads (and everywhere else). After a number of cars would drive over them, it created a gooey brown slick that smelled pretty bad. You could actually skid on it if you weren't careful.

I remember seeing a photo in the local paper of someone's house completely covered in them.

THe local hospital had a guy running around in the parking lot picking people up in a golf cart as they left their vehicles and transport them to the hospital entrances so that they didn't have to walk through them.

Went four wheeling in the back country with my wife. She used Mormon Crickets for target practice with her Makarov LOL.

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

With the nickname Sin City it's appropriate.

Motomom34, DKR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Well, time to start pinching heads and dumping the cajun seasoning on...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Paah-Yaahh pard-naahh !!!

8. DKR

Nevada has seen more rain than usual this year. The state has averaged 9.94 inches of rain from January through June, nearly double the average of 5.92 inches, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It's the third-wettest January to June on record for the state.

A sure sign of the coming Ice Age?

We lived in Las Vegas from 1972-76 and again 1984 to 91.
    In the early 70s, a nice town.

Now it is a crime infested ****hole. Still, I feel for the folks I know that still live there.

9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Elko averages between 10-12 inches a year. So the January through June number represents about a year's worth of precip.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Me too. I was with a group of friends camped out in the Alvord desert when my buddy's Mom broke her collar bone riding an ATV. We caravanned to Winnemucca to get her seen by a doctor and drove over locusts the entire way. The highway almost all the way there was thickly covered. Not fun.

At least it was better than a few years before when the jack rabbit population was out of control and you would hit at least a couple every mile no matter how carefully you drove. They would jump right in front of you. That time we were camped at Bogg and would go to Denio for supplies or up through Fields.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

These people know nothing about all that rain.....

serveimage.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  1. HK_User
  2. BTPost
  3. hot diggity
  4. natshare
  5. sec_monkey
  6. Motomom34
  7. GrayGhost
  8. VHestin
  9. pearlselby
  10. Motomom34