Learn Linux For Free

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by Brokor, Feb 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Figured out some of that stuff, dual boot with Windows, running a Windows VM on top of Linux, etc.

I use Mint for almost everything, except when at the BOL. Win 7 is necessary then because Mint will not work with the broadband dongle, so my laptop is dual boot. Desktop is Mint only, no Windows other than the Windows 7 VM.

Linux command lines still remain a mystery. But recent versions of Linux has negated the need for much of that. Considering where Windows is headed, to Win 10, (Win 7 will eventually go the way of XP) something is needed to avoid having to use Win 10.

I tried it on my laptop, and it appears to preclude the use of any other OS wherever it is installed. Really pissed me off :mad:. Microsoft wants to be a god. So I re-installed Win 7 / Mint dual boot.

I will never use Win 10 on my personal computers. I'm even holding out at work with my 5 year old Windows 7 based laptop. They keep threatening to replace it, but I know I will get Win 10 if they do.

Thanks for the steer, Brokor! Looks as if there will be some truly useful info there.

Update -
    HA ha got to poking around using the top command. Identified the pid for Cinnamon desktop. Then I remembered the kill (pid) command from the days of Unix and wondered if it was still valid. OOPS - yep, it is LOL.
    reboot

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Brokor likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I was home trying to update the CF-28 Panasonic Toughbook, and the hard drive died on me finally. I salvaged another 30GB PATA drive from an old laptop and popped it in. If you've never seen an actual CF-28 hard drive case, you're in for a treat. I uploaded the spec sheet linked below if you are interested. It's essentially a bomb-proof and shock-proof (literally) design with integrated EM Faraday enclosures. How many laptops have full magnesium cases, right? I imagine none of this really matters if it's plugged in, but they might have a fuse built-in, I don't know. I do know it is wireless, so there's that. Anyway, I had to pop in another HD and it had a copy of WinXP on it, so I GParted that from the world and installed Puppy Linux because it is light and simple and will work on an old system with a max of 512mb Ram. The whole purpose of this story is that while I was doing all of this, I found the website I linked earlier and wanted to share.

Weekend fun!
    cf-28.

Attached Files:

4. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

i can't say it's perfect, but Ad-Aware (sorry, make that Spybot) has an 'anti-beacon' product that's supposed to prevent the Win spying. I use it

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Pretty cool Brokor. I have the Dell version of the ruggedized laptop XFRD630 that I use for trips to the BOL. It also has a full thick magnesium case. I think the damn thing weighs about 20 lbs - LOL.

Brokor likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. aardbewoner
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. Brokor
  6. DarkLight
  7. Brokor
  8. kckndrgn
  9. kckndrgn
  10. melbo
  11. Brokor