1. The Topic of the Month for June, 2017 is "Organization" Please join the discussion on the forum.

Learning How

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by pfatz, Feb 4, 2010.

1. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

I grew up in a family who owned a Heavy Trucking & Construction biz, and 2 Farms. during WWII and experienced the end of the Depression.
    We learned to Work, many Skills and Responsibility. I learned skills such as Driving a team of Horses or Mules,To Plow & Plant a Garden, Trucks, Tractors & more. We put up Alfalfa, had a huge Garden, and raised Rabbits, Chickens, Goats and Pigeons. Both for Barter and Food. I learned Mechanics at school & in use. More later.
    pfatz

2. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

Part 3
    Becoming bored with retirment, I tinkered with Rv's and ended up starting an RV Repair & Rebuild shop. After a few years I tired of the rat race and retired again.
    For something to do, I attended a professional Gunsmithing School where I decided I really enjoyed all aspects of the trade. As part of the training, we learned the Machinists skills (the pro way) enabling us to build most any Firearm part. I especially enjoyed Metal Work and building Custom Firearms. This lead to another career operating a Sporting Goods & Gun Shop. This went on a few years and I retired again since age was catching up to me.
    You can learn many skills over a lifetime and put them to use in various ways. All in all I have enjoyed the many things I have done. I feel like everything may have been leading to this time and I am fairly well prepared for whatever may come.
    pfatz

3. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

Part 4
    Somewhere in there I found time for 8 years in the Army, 2 years at University studying Civil Engineering(It did not pay as well as my own Biz) and an Apprenticeship as a Electrician. It was all fun and I miss some of it but I would not change anything.
    I am very concerned about the future of our country and as are many others, I am doing my best to prepare for the unknown. In addition to the standard of Food, Guns, Bandaids, I am refreshing my skills and learning others. I recently completed a Locksmith course and a Small Engine Course as well as attending a factory Chainsaw seminar. In the week long seminar we learned a lot about 2 cycle engines and all Chain Saw components. I hope my skills and my preps will make my Familly and I a welcome and desireable addition to our Community wherever life takes us.
    I follow several Blogs, Forums and read & collect Books & Manuals (Print & Electronic) on Survival, Military Subjects, and to support & refresh some of my various skills & Interests.
    More to follow
    pfatz

4. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

pfatz
    **Part 2
    I learned much from my Father and from the skilled Tradesmen who worked for him. I learned to operate Winch Trucks moving Heavy Machinery, Oilfield Equipment, Houses, Barns & More. I helped take care of the Livestock, & Machinery. From working with the Tradesmen, I learned something of the Masons, Plumbers & Carpenters skills. I am self taught in other ways. I can Weld, Fabricate & Machine Metal. I started a Welding/Fabricating/Steel Erection Business building Steel for a variety of Structures & Machines. My Weldeors/Fabricators & I made many welded items including Oil & Gas Production equipment. After 20 years of this & thousands of complete projects. I sold out & retired.

5. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

Part 5
    In this retirement, perhaps I can pass on some of the knowledge and skills I have acquired. In following the Blogs I find some skill sets I wish I had, such as Medical, EMT or some such. There are simply not enough hours in my days to tackle any more major projects beyond refreshing the skills I now have and prepping for the unknown. I would encourage everyone to set down on paper everything they have done in their life in order to identify your skills and to make a plan to refresh them, prep to use them and to determine where you might be lacking. We must all accept our limits and realize that a community must consist of folks with complementary skills that will let us meet the future headon and to prevail.
    pfatz

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7