Learning How

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by pfatz, Feb 4, 2010.

1. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

I grew up in a family who owned a Heavy Trucking & Construction biz, and 2 Farms. during WWII and experienced the end of the Depression.
    We learned to Work, many Skills and Responsibility. I learned skills such as Driving a team of Horses or Mules,To Plow & Plant a Garden, Trucks, Tractors & more. We put up Alfalfa, had a huge Garden, and raised Rabbits, Chickens, Goats and Pigeons. Both for Barter and Food. I learned Mechanics at school & in use. More later.
    pfatz

2. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

Part 3
    Becoming bored with retirment, I tinkered with Rv's and ended up starting an RV Repair & Rebuild shop. After a few years I tired of the rat race and retired again.
    For something to do, I attended a professional Gunsmithing School where I decided I really enjoyed all aspects of the trade. As part of the training, we learned the Machinists skills (the pro way) enabling us to build most any Firearm part. I especially enjoyed Metal Work and building Custom Firearms. This lead to another career operating a Sporting Goods & Gun Shop. This went on a few years and I retired again since age was catching up to me.
    You can learn many skills over a lifetime and put them to use in various ways. All in all I have enjoyed the many things I have done. I feel like everything may have been leading to this time and I am fairly well prepared for whatever may come.
    pfatz

3. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

Part 4
    Somewhere in there I found time for 8 years in the Army, 2 years at University studying Civil Engineering(It did not pay as well as my own Biz) and an Apprenticeship as a Electrician. It was all fun and I miss some of it but I would not change anything.
    I am very concerned about the future of our country and as are many others, I am doing my best to prepare for the unknown. In addition to the standard of Food, Guns, Bandaids, I am refreshing my skills and learning others. I recently completed a Locksmith course and a Small Engine Course as well as attending a factory Chainsaw seminar. In the week long seminar we learned a lot about 2 cycle engines and all Chain Saw components. I hope my skills and my preps will make my Familly and I a welcome and desireable addition to our Community wherever life takes us.
    I follow several Blogs, Forums and read & collect Books & Manuals (Print & Electronic) on Survival, Military Subjects, and to support & refresh some of my various skills & Interests.
    More to follow
    pfatz

4. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

pfatz
    **Part 2
    I learned much from my Father and from the skilled Tradesmen who worked for him. I learned to operate Winch Trucks moving Heavy Machinery, Oilfield Equipment, Houses, Barns & More. I helped take care of the Livestock, & Machinery. From working with the Tradesmen, I learned something of the Masons, Plumbers & Carpenters skills. I am self taught in other ways. I can Weld, Fabricate & Machine Metal. I started a Welding/Fabricating/Steel Erection Business building Steel for a variety of Structures & Machines. My Weldeors/Fabricators & I made many welded items including Oil & Gas Production equipment. After 20 years of this & thousands of complete projects. I sold out & retired.

5. pfatz

pfatz Monkey+

Part 5
    In this retirement, perhaps I can pass on some of the knowledge and skills I have acquired. In following the Blogs I find some skill sets I wish I had, such as Medical, EMT or some such. There are simply not enough hours in my days to tackle any more major projects beyond refreshing the skills I now have and prepping for the unknown. I would encourage everyone to set down on paper everything they have done in their life in order to identify your skills and to make a plan to refresh them, prep to use them and to determine where you might be lacking. We must all accept our limits and realize that a community must consist of folks with complementary skills that will let us meet the future headon and to prevail.
    pfatz

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7