At about this time last night the power to my house came back on after a four hour outage caused by a pole mounted transformer that blew out (with a mighty bang I might add!). The conditions were: -sun had just about set -weather has been dry and quite hot for us (high 20s Celsius (low to mid 80s F)) almost continuously over the last month -affected area was very small...just about 20-30 homes as near as I could tell Tonight my wife and I did a lessons learned and here's how we did: 1) We did not have the power company (or any utility providers) phone number posted anywhere 2) Had readily accessible headlamps but should have night light/emergency flashlights that turn on when power goes out 3) My battery bank storage device was not charged (I could have used it to power my router which I didn't even think of until tonight) 4) My various generators have not been tested in over a year as they are still in storage from moving here last year 5) Still have no long term fuel storage plan as I've been humming and hawing over whether to go with propane or gas 6) If the incident had been more severe we could not have evacuated very far by car as I had let the gas tank get down to nearly empty While I have classified this as a non-critical event it could easily have been much worse. For example, the whole town could have been affected which would have meant no gas pumps working at any of the stations. While making plans last night I had decided that I would start up a generator this morning to run my freezers if power was still off. I had enough gas in my garage jerry can to run a genset for maybe 10 hours. Now it's time to learn from the lessons and make improvements.