LED Lights

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by E.L., Feb 1, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Do any of y'all use LED lights on a regular basis? I was reading over on the 'Files and one of the posters was talking about a LED light that they sold at Lowe's, and supposedly it had a battery life of 80 hours :shock: So I picked up a 6 LED light over there and it is actually fairly bright. I am used to my Surefire's, but they sure go through batteries quick. So I wanted a light that could be used as a backup, one that had long battery life and LED's so the bulbs should last forever. Then when I was at Wally World, I saw a clearance sale on batteries (I haven't seen one of those before) so I bought 17 packs of 18 AA's each. That's all they had. In our digital camera that should last a month or two. :evil: If this LED light holds up, I might go ahead and replace the lights we keep in our BOB's. Any thoughts?

2. B540glenn

B540glenn Should Be Working Founding Member

I have an expensive 3 AA cell LED I use at my camper. The light is bright with a blue tinge but doesn't seem to have the range that my mini-mag has. Though it doesn't have an adjustable beam like the mini-mag. So far the 3 batteries have lasted through all of last summer (starting in May I think) through present with moderate use.

I would say that it is a good flashlight for long lasting light for close work (6-8 feet or so). If I required very bright or long reaching light, I'd pick something else.

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have like 3 LED lights I use. The battery life on them is a LOT better than it is on ones like mag/mini mag lights let alone what I understand most of the Surefires are. They tend to be plenty bright enouph for most anything I ever need to use them for UP CLOSE, but like mentioned above for some reason the light from the LEDs (or at least the ones I have messed with) dosnt travel. The head lamp I use a lot has 3 LEDs and up close is plenty bright but will only throw reasonably decent light about 20 feet at most but the 3 AAA batteries will last up to 48 hours or so of contenuous use in it. What I really like about that one theough and think is the best of both worlds is it has 3 different settings. You can use the red LED so it dosent mess with your night vision or you can use the white LED (that has a bit of blue ting) and both of them are great on batteries but if you need a little brighter light or one that will travel a little further you can turn it onto the third setting which is a bulb like in a Mag light. I picked it up at Walmart for like $15 and thats what I use for my BOB, also kind of a perk that its hands free.

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We use them routinely for flying. The LEDs are virtually indestructable and as mentioned above, the light takes some getting used to. Walmart now sells a three LED insert instead of the Krypton bulb for the mini-mag. I believe it was something like $3.50 for the set up. Just take the bulb out and replace the bezel and viola' They are good close range, but you really need a regular bulb if you are going to use it for any distance. They don't ruin NVGs either. It is good to have a LED light in your bag.

5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

6. E.L.

Next time you are over during the night/evening, bring it so I can check it out.

7. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Done deal:)

8. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Glowing eyes work better o_O

9. E.L.

As targets.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I do almost everyday for hours .

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, no need for laser or NV. b::

12. E.L.

I am going to have to pick up some extras. These aren't near as bright as my Surefire's, which I will continue to use for work and specific tasks, but the LED's are great when you just need some light and it doesn't have to light up the entire yard/house/building.

13. E.L.

Okay, now I would like to know the brand of LED lights that you like the best. Magnus has already made his pitch, anybody else?

14. sniper-66

Gerber mini lights are not bad. I used to use the Phantom Light, but the lady that runs it prides herself in that she has had several military personnel sent to jail for thieving her lights from the system and trading them for other goods. Stay away from them.

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Browning makes a multiple Led light with one click its red, then the next click its blue, then while then (Spelling>xeon) super bright so you aren’t stuck with just the short range LED’s

16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Surefire LEDs actually heat up!!!

17. monkeyman

Mine is rayovac and is a head lamp that works like the light Quig described, runs about $15 IIRC at Walmart.

18. sniper-66

$12.50 is what they cost, that is what I use to pre-flight my aircraft with. The only thing I hate is that it takes three AAA batteries! Always end up with one spare battery that you have to throw away! Or throw it in a junk drawer somewhere!

19. monkeyman

So get one of the micro mag lights that goes on a key chain and uses 1 AAA battery and that way each time you replace the batteries in the lamp you can replace the one in the micro mag or evls if you are useing the head lamp so much you go through the batteries in it quicker then just pick a spot to save that spare and every 4th change is free...kind of. I constantly have enouph uses for AAA batteries that its not a problem and I usualy buy the largest packs of them I can find and several of them.

20. aviationlifesupport

aviationlifesupport Monkey+++ Founding Member

phontom flashlights..........

hey hey hey ,

long time no speak chaps ,

sorry to but in but i was just passing through and.....

phantom flashlights are ok ,
    and sniper is correct , thats one nasty little HO cruising ebay ,

heh heh never brought any of mine though :lol:

davey

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7