Lessons from Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tempstar, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Mac Bolan

Mac Bolan Monkey

What I learned from Matthew:
    1. You can be forced to evacuate your home...
    2. The first people to the store will buy as much as they can possibly carry and leave little for those who follow later.

You should have contingency plans in place in the event of either.

First, I would have food and necessities in a storage facility on the path that I would most likely evacuate.
    Second. have enough supplies at home so that you do not have to run to the store. but not all of your supplies in case you are forced to evacuate and leave them behind.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Good points Mac Bolan. At least here in SC, authorities can not force you to evacuate your own property. And yes, I stopped at the grocery for aspirin and to get a look and saw all the water, bread, milk, and batteries gone the day before the storm. We stay stocked up and didn't even consider a trip to the store.
    Even now flood waters are rising literally 100' behind my home, though it won't make it here. Nearby neighborhoods are flooded and those folks homeless. Damn near every hotel and shelter in SC is full.
    Sadly, those that are going through this won't be any better prepared next time, because this happened during Floyd in '99. Many of the same faces homeless with nothing yet again.

3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Thanks @Tempstar Great After Action Hot Wash.

I have an older Kelty Redwing pack and it has a built in rain cover

They also sell a water proff one for about $30
    Rain Cover

I need to get one from my 5.11 Rush 72 which is my main pack lately.

Again Thanks for the Hot Wash.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]

Learn how to swim or have a boat close by...

(scene near my AO)

Yard Dart and AD1 like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Hope you and Sapper stay dry WD!!

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This happens at least once every 20 years. Florida is the one place you would expect to be some what prepared because you know it's going to happen again.
    I am surprised at how the great majority of people even in florida of all places just assume that it's not going to happen to them, again. Then how fast the situation devolved, wow.
    Turn out the power for a week in an area that covets at least a state ot 2 and it will be purge time.

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I personally saw "9 meals from anarchy" unfold....

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Ok the biggest things to learn from Matthew are the following...

Mother Nature can really mess with your get home/ bug out plans...

Within 24 hours your primary and alternate bug out routes can go from great to deadly.

Roads close with multiple trees down, sink holes, power lines and water ( We had over 20" with Matthew).

Natural water sources become polluted due to overflow from waste systems, dead animals, industrial waste, etc. rendering the performance of many forms of water purification in adequate... (No matter how long you boil water with fuel oil/gas in it you can't get it purified...)

Many of your prep plans can disappear or become unviable overnight.

500 year floods don't always wait 500 years.

Do a review of all of your plans following any natural disaster to look for weaknesses and improve them.

Tempstar, ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. DKR
  4. Yard Dart
  5. fl4848
  6. Motomom34
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. duane
  9. Motomom34
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Yard Dart