Linux Mint 12

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by Wild Trapper, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

All Symptoms of the Bleeding Edge of Technology, Melbo.... Ya just have to try out Everything, because if you don't, you may miss something.....

melbo likes this.
  2. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Actually had 12 working fairly good, not great, except for those two issues, which were major to me. the wireless would not work and cinnamon wouldn't show up in the menu option as advertised even though I tried installing it twice,

Now I'm wondering if I have a hardware issue with the motherboard in the laptop as I could not get Mint 11 to connect wireless either, so am going to give 10 another try, bang head repeatedly, Mint 10 was working fine, up until I thought I could improve on the system.

May be time to buy a new laptop, all I really need is yet another computer.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Are you plugging in and running an update? That has usually fixed most driver problems I've encountered. You should get the 'non-free drivers are available for your system' and you can run this from within Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers
    Screenshot-4.

4. Wild Trapper

That is exactly the problem, those drivers that are available in Mint 11 & 12 are not right for a computer that is as old as the HP laptop I have. I just reinstalled Mint 10, loaded the driver for the wireless and could connect immediately. No messing around searching for other driver options, 10 just works and 11, 12 do not. My laptop is now 6 years old, really sux that even backporting didn't find a driver compatible with my hardware. Like I said, Mepis worked right off the dvd disc and no messing with loading the nonfree drivers. Only thing is, it is KDE desktop and leaves a bit to be desired after using gnome for so long. The hardware is fine, just not compatible with the new releases of Mint. Don't know why they dropped support for the older hardware.

5. Wild Trapper

Got the laptop all back to a usable OS with Mint 10, as per above newer distros of Mint will not work properly on my old machine. The desktop is not a super computer, but is a last years build of one my wife was using that got the motherboard fried by lightening. I installed a new upgrade MB, processor, and ram sticks, along with a 1TB hard drive. Her old HDD had windows on it and was only 60 gig, so, it had to go while I was at it.

At some point I know I will have to upgrade the system, but probably not until I find something better than Mint 12. I think even the KDE version is more usable than the gnome version, from all my testing results. Not real enthused about going through this process for a few days. Should go with the theory, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!"

6. melbo

Finally got a stable LMDE install - I'm very excited to get out of Version releases.

Had to manually install NVIDIA drivers (NVS 4200m) since this is the first laptop I've ever had that has a separate video card. Was pretty straightforward and now works on my twin 24" displays with proper resolution and laptop lid closed (in a dock)

Had to add the Broadcom STA wireless drivers as well. LMDE does not have the same Additional Drivers hardware install that the other version have.

Couple little quirks to track down and then I'll load it for good on new drives. Going with an Intel SSD for the OS drive and a Momentus 750 GB as a /home drive. I purchased a 2nd HDD caddy that takes the place of the DVD drive and it came with a cable that will allow me to plug the DVD drive into the external esata port if I ever need it.

Fixed the font rendering and am working on the failure to 'reboot' the system without a hang but this seems to be a known problem with my Core i7-2720QM (quad core) CPU. Have to wait for a kernel update to fully catch this hardware.

We're at opposite ends of the spectrum WT: too old / too new.

edit to add: LMDE w/ Update pack 3 is still on Gnome 2. This will change at some point so I will have to use either Gnome 3 or Cinnamon. My video card config with dual monitors did not yet like either of them.

7. Wild Trapper

My desktop could probably handle the newer Mint and LMDE distros as I wouldn't be using wireless and even though it's not that old with it's upgraded quad processor and DDR3 ram sticks. It is by no means top of the line, more like patched up junk, but it does what I need it to do and I didn't have to break the bank to build it. Using Linux for an OS saved me even a bunch more than having to buy win7 for it. The only monitor I had for it, when I built it, was the one I use on the old eMachine out in the barn, so I bought a new wide screen for it and took the old one back out to the barn. The eMachine with 2 gig of ram and an external USB wireless device runs ok (not fast) with Mint 11 LMDE on it, so I'm sure it would run on the desktop in my office. Part of installing LMDE on the eMachine, was to test it out as an option to upgrading my desktop. I do think cinnamon should work, it just wasn't doing it on my laptop, don't think I was doing it wrong. However, I've always had some kind of issues with that HP laptop ever since it was new. Even had to send it in for repair when it was still under warranty. It was right after that when I first installed Linux on it - PCLinuxOS was the distro I finally got to work on it. For some reason it likes KDE better, but since about Mint 6 I've been using Mint and gnome.

8. seeker

seeker Monkey+

Have you made sure that you have 'backport' in your /etc/apt/sources.list ?
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    add backport to the end of each line
    If you get errors on a:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    delete backport from any lines in sources.list the terminal tells you it can't find.
    for example in my LMDE:
    Code:
    deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
    That should bring support for aging hardware although it has to be pretty wildcat to not be supported unless your talking video and wireless.

9. Wild Trapper

Thanks Seeker, The issue was with the wireless driver support not being able to find the right one no matter what I tried, even backporting didn't work. Support was available in Mint 10 and before, but not in mint 11 or 12. I did not try LMDE on the laptop, so do not plan to either. Someday, if I ever decide to get another laptop, the support will probably be available for it, at least for a few years.

10. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

I got fed up with Ubuntu so I tried Mint 12. Found it had too many problems so I tried Mint 11. Now I'm in love!

11. melbo

Mint 11 gives you back your desktop.

I stopped experimenting with Ubuntu when it went Unity.

12. Wild Trapper

More testing to begin soon

I have downloaded a few other distros to burn and test. A couple still to come except that Mepis - that's is downloading now is the 32 bit and the other one I have already tested on the laptop was 64 bit. Want to test the 32 bit on the eMachine as the 64 bit will not work on it. Also going to test Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, and Absolute-Linux which is based on Slackware.

Spent the day working on my motorcycle instead of testing software. I added a fairing and hard bags as well as a helmet lock. Actually got to ride for a bit after completing the work as it was in the fifties here today. ;)

13. melbo

Not your typical Linux nerd...
    I'll always think fondly of your eMachine box in the barn... running Linux.

What is it about vbox or VMWare that you can't get to work? Would make it a lot easier to test and save you a lot of DVDs... I have about 12 distos on my virtual box on my main system.

14. Wild Trapper

Might have something to do with ram, but then it might be something to do with me not reading instructions. I do better with mechanical things, than computers. Trouble is even cars and motorcycles need computers any more.

15. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Amazing isn't it? Perfect example of what programming can do would be the Duramax diesel. One program for the track, one for trailering, one for ultimate MPG all without making a single mechanical change.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, and one EMP Pulse and they are all just Scrap Iron, waiting for the furnace.....[stirpot]

17. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just upgraded my LT to Mint 12 from Ubuntu. I did the latest upgrade on Ubuntu and really didn't like the changes. So I figured going to Mint.

2 minor issues. 1) had to activate the drivers for my wireless (Dell inspiron) and 2) had to track down and install Adobe Air to get some existing software to run.

Other than those, I'm liking this distro so far. Time to do some exploring and see what I can break, then fix and break again :)

18. Wild Trapper

Glad you got it working on your LT as mine is older and the correct driver was not in the package nor was I able to find one that worked. Mepis worked wireless right from the live disc.

With all the testing I did, I still have not found a replacement for Mint 10 for my laptop. Mepis would work for me, but it uses the KDE desktop and so, until I have to do something else, like a crashed HDD or something on the LT, I'll let it be.

One of these days, I will probably back up all my settings and files on this desktop and either go with LMDE or Mint 12 with Cinnamon-session. Guessing that LMDE will inherit cinnamon when it goes to the new gnome version, could already be at that state, have not kept up with it. I have LMDE on the old computer in the barn, but have not tweaked it in a while.

19. Wild Trapper

Mint 12 KDE has just been released as of about a week ago. I downloaded the early RC testing release but only looked at it. I now have the regular distro and have tested the live dvd on both my old laptop and my desktop. While it does work on the old LT, I still have the issue with the wireless support on that, but on the desktop - I was impressed, to say the least. For a KDE release, it is a great improvement over the gnome 3 release, in my opinion. I would upgrade to this distro. Well, maybe one of these days. Gotta wait for a day when I can be sure all my files are backed up and I have the house to myself for a while, so I can concentrate on the process.

I will say, it may not work out as good as I think, but it sure beats the gnome edition of 12. Now if they just bring out a LMDE version of it later in the year. Pretty sure I don't want gnome 3. From the comments on the mint website, I think there is a lot of folks disappointed in gnome 3.

20. melbo

I'm hopelessly lost at the moment.

Playing with:
    LMDE Gnome (slowly rolling)
    LMDE XFCE (slowly rolling)
    Straight Debian (version release)
    Dreamlinux 5 (these guys stopped development for a couple of years but I always liked DM and now it's back!) (version release)
    Aptosid (bleeding edge rolling)
    Arch (Bleeding Edge rolling)
    ArchBang (Bleeding Edge rolling)

I'm trying to settle on a rolling release so that I don't have to upgrade from point versions anymore.

Running Hannah Montana Linux (HML) until I settle on a permanent solution...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7