Linux users check in here!

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by melbo, Feb 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I played a round with Suse 7.0 and Redhat in dual boot in the past but never really went very far with it.
    About six months ago a guy at work loaded up a box with ubuntu so I did a fresh install on a Pentium 4 XP box with ubuntu at home and I really like it. I now have it on a notebook and will load it on a netbook this weekend as well. Thus far I don't really see any reason to not move forward and go 100% with Linux with all of my boxes. The posts here have peaked my interest on other flavors like Mint but so far Linux does everything windoze does but better, cheaper and more secure.

One of the things is that when you compare XP to the Win 3.1, 95, 98 Me ect it is pretty decent and kind of lulled me into complacency but six months on Linux and I will soon be done with Billy Gates and Windoze.

I have seen the light..........[rofllmao][rofllmao]

2. freykatt

freykatt Monkey+

Hi ya'll, as of a couple of years ago, have switched to Ubuntu Linux and no longer fight windoze. as far as compatibility to camera phones, no experience or desire of such. Ubuntu 5.04?, why not do 10.04, has better hardware detection and is, temporarilly, the latest, I believe you would be happier.?

3. Jack Cracker

Jack Cracker Monkey+

I use Arch

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I switched to Linux Mint 8 a while back and am very satisfied. Mint 9 will be out soon.

5. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I have been off windoze for about 10 years. Wine allowed me to resurrect 2 pieces of Bible software. I just upgraded to Gnome 2010 (PCLinuxOS). The only problem I have is Xiphos is casters up. This 2010 is far superior to the 2007, 2009 versions.

6. Lynn_A

Lynn_A Monkey+

I really enjoy using Linux. As I remarked elsewhere, I've been running Ubuntu since the Feisty Fawn days (what was that, 7.04?) and have been running Mint 9 since its release.

Since Ubuntu is so popular, here is a site many of you might want to bookmark - Web Upd8

I follow them on Twitter, as well (@webupd8). They do a lot of tricks and tips on various Linux distros and apps, but they primarily focus on Ubuntu.

7. engineer1371

engineer1371 Monkey+

I have mint 8 on my compaq evo but dont use it much since i cant get my belkin wireless card to work with it. I know I could just plug in a wire but i hate wires. so i just use the wifes POS acer with vista on it. sad thing is I liked mint 8 just need to actually sit down and figure out the problem.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have a spare Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network card that worked out of the box with Mint, Arch and Ubuntu. If you can use it, it's yours.

This is not a pic of mine but will let you count the pins...
    2200G.

9. Wild Trapper

I use an HP laptop and usually have to hunt drivers from the package manager to get it to work wireless. I use Mint 9 and even had to hunt for a driver with it. HP and Compaq are somehow related, I think. Even at that, I leave mine wired at home as I think it works faster.

10. engineer1371

engineer1371 Monkey+

11. melbo

It came out of an Acer Travelmate 4500 laptop.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have a U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg PC card (Product Model 5411) made for lappys with external card slots. About 60 gazillioin pin sockets on the end that gets inserted. No need for it here, the new laptop has one on board, but it worked well on the old Brick lappy. Check the specs with USR and send me your mailing addy if it works, and it's yours.

13. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04, and put in Ubuntu studio on it. It be rocking now. All free.

14. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ubuntu 10.10 All is A-OK....

15. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

O.K. folks help me out here. I have heard a lot about Linux and how it will help you out if you have an older computer. I'm no tech guy so you gotta be simple. I have an old Compaq desktop running Windows XP. It has gotten so slow that sometimes I just say the hell with it and don't go on the net. I also have this MacAfee virus program that absolutely drives me crazy. Every time it updates (daily) my computer is pretty much unusable. So would Linux help me out and if so how do I download it and which one? Don't laugh. Not everyone is tech savvy:oops:

16. melbo

Here's my recent experience with Anti-virus programs and why I don't use them anymore: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/technical/24060-avg-ad-aware-resource-hogs.html

The easiest way to give linux a try is to go to Download | Ubuntu and download the iso file. You'll then need to burn this 'image' to a CD or DVD. Once your done, boot your system with the CD in the drive and it will load a test 'live demo' of a linux operating system. It will be slow because it's running from the CD and not from your hard drive. I use some freeware called imgburn to create the CD: http://www.imgburn.com/

If you like it, you have the option of hitting the 'install' icon on the desktop. Before you do that, start another thread about your ubuntu experience and we'll help you through the rest of the install. You have the option of replacing xp with ubuntu or installing ubuntu alongside of your current xp system. With the latter, you'll be offered a dual boot screen when you start your system and can select which OS you want to run.

Painless to try out.

There are hundreds of versions of linux that you can try. I find ubuntu to be the best for newbies to test drive.

17. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Thanks Melbo. I will try it. Can not be worse than what I have now.

18. grunt351

grunt351 Monkey+

19. Wild Trapper

Elsur, Melbo got me started with Linux, I use Linux Mint 9 which is basically a lot like Ubuntu 10.04 but I like Mint's layout better. I download new or different distros of Linux from DistroWatch If you scroll down about half way on the page, you'll find the links to the downloads. If your computer is a bit older use the i386 Architecture, it'll work better on almost any computer going, unless it is really, really old. I've an old eMachine I got free in a yard sale give away and it works on it. It is kind of my experimental computer. I installed 2gig of ram in it and that made all the difference.

Try also those links grunt351 posted above, looks like there are links there that would answer a lot of the issues you might run into. But you will find a lot of answers right there at DistroWatch.

Edit to add, I just checked and see that Linux Mint 10 was released Nov 12th, have to go, gotta download it and give it a test run. Bye!!!

20. melbo

Hey grunt! looks like you might be able to offer some technical advice for some of those here that are looking to make the switch.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. aardbewoner
  4. Brokor
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Brokor
  7. DarkLight
  8. Brokor
  9. kckndrgn
  10. kckndrgn
  11. melbo
  12. Brokor