List of Food That Doesn't Require Heating, Cooking or Refrigeration

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 25, 2017.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Maybe that tells you something..... Then again, maybe not.....[lolol]

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think because they are not well thought out. The point I am trying to make is the greatest tool you will have in your arsenal of preparedness techniques and tricks is your brain. Unless you are willing to use it to its fullest capability, you will die, that plain and simple. Part of the goal of our forum is help people find the tools they will need to survive in any circumstances. The first tool is your ability to think beyond what you have been told. That's all I hope you will do

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Once prepared matzoh does not require heating BUT before you lose the ability to heat the dough, you really do need to prepare it and store appropriately. Since you mentioned it, how will you store it against need, and how long will it last in that storage regime? (Said another way, what would be a good rotation plan?

4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I'm talking about the MAtzoh bread sold ready to eat in Supermarket Shelves that comes boxed.

That is not addressing what I asked in the thread. You didn't listen an item that was not previously mentioned. You Fail the thread. I sentence you to listening for an hour to Artie Lange jokes which will really make you Spontaneously Combust compared to my one joke which made you ballistic.,

Pot calling the Kettle black

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Do you have a problem getting a tablet burner or alcohol burner type of thing, just to make a cup of hot water? A LOT opens up with just that little bit of minimal heat/smell.
    Also, don't forget hard sausages and the like that can handle it. I've had a hard pepperoni that has been sitting on the shelf for a year, pulled it down and ate 2/3 of it over the last few days, as room temp as it gets.

Gator 45/70 and ED GEiN like this.
  6. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Most italian or simular dry cured meats will keep a Looooong time (the real stuff, not the crap you find at the supermarket)
    italian_cured_meat_te.

7. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Nah, just was curious because I hadn't factored in food that lasted a while requiring essentially no "Maintenance"; I saw this in MotoMom's link and I was curious what to add to my "6 months so stock of food that I'll eat anyway" but just buy in advance.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

True, but it seems a little rich for the Geinian PAW apartment non cooking, non heating, non refrigerated cuisine.

Dining daily on Cheetos, Orios, and cold, canned, dinner franks (or their non cooked, non heated and non refrigerated analogues) is probably doable...(frat boys in frat houses probably do that for the duration of their college experience...and often quite longer)...however, long term it would be a pretty impoverished existence. We as humans ought to aspire to more than that. What happens when those stocks run out, and are not able to be replenished....or when running the gauntlet with other starving apartment dwellers for the last packet of Matzoh bread becomes too dangerous to attempt?

I share Right Hand's and BT Posts sense of wonderment at a world view (judging from the threads and posts seemingly fixated on the apartment dweller). I do have to wonder how one may manage in the event that the apartment dweller's can opener is lost, or their electric can opener no longer functions. ( have visions of the apartment being redecorated 'a la Jackson Pollock', whilst the apartment dweller is trying to beat the can of ravioli to death with a chair leg to at least get some of the contents for non heated consumption).

I don't think that BT Post or Right Hand were rebuking you, so the snarky replies were unnecessary, and don't help your cause very much.

There is no real need to ask the question, nor is there much value to other monkeys in doing the research for Edward. All that needs to be done is to visit the local supermarket...give the meat dept, refrigeration dept, freezer dept, fresh produce dept, and bakery dept a miss, and just about everything else in a tin /can , jar or packet etc is consumable without heating or cooking. I'm not sure what the nutritional value of haemorrhoid suppositories might be (dosage pm), but I guess they have a long shelf life and don't need cooking or heating.

I earlier offered you a challenge, suggesting that you might broaden your inputs to the collective of SM beyond apartment survival...

It would seem that you have chosen not to accept it

Although a work of fiction, J.G.Ballard's "High Rise", gives a glimpse of what apartment living might be like when society goes pear shaped....

High-Rise (film) - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    oldawg, RightHand and Merkun like this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Why does he need to broaden his horizons beyond apartment life? I mean, I think it is fairly stupid (no offense), and beyond me why anyone would want to, but I live in the sticks, and enjoy my time in those sticks playing with them. If he wants to ease into this and attempt to maintain a normal life instead of being a Rambo/Pioneer, he is entitled to his opinion.

3M-TA3, ED GEiN and chelloveck like this.
  10. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Since when does living in an appartment limit you food choices to "crap" & "I can belive thats not crap"?
    *sniffs* Some of us have tastebuds doncha know:p

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Stagnation avoidance. These days, eddie is stuck in a non thinking groove and getting out of that groove will probably improve his outlook and provide improved thought processes.

oldawg, chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  12. chelloveck

Although never having met you runswithdogs...I kinda have this mental image of you saying that with Fabio's voice. :eek:

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. chelloveck

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are very much correct. We all do not need to be on the same page and striving towards the same life style. As @melbo pointed out a few years ago-
    Conflicts of personality on the rise again at SM | Survival Monkey Forums

Basically we all want to survive some event. We want to take care of ourselves in case of emergency whether big or small. Sometimes I believe we all need a reminder that our goals are not the same. I have been slowly moving towards an urban area. Some would say that is insane but why? There is no guarantee that a survival situation will arise but learning to handle what is thrown my way is why I am here.

chelloveck and ED GEiN like this.
  15. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

What some of you fail to understand is, that this would be emergency sustenance should one be forced to remain in their apartment/home when food for whatever reason is no longer sold/available. IE. I buy 6 months of spaghetti/pasta in advance and eat that anyway in my daily life. Should food no longer be available, I still have that on hand at no additional cost. In the case of food that one doesn't have to cook, heat, refrigerate like cereal what is the harm of having that on hand 6 months in advance when its part of your diet anyway?

16. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Who?..
    *googles*
    Ewwwww...ICK.! Now im picturing you with 2 broken kneecaps:cautious:

I think if thats your normal diet.. you may have bigger problems to worry about... :sick:

17. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

So we begin to understand that you don't eat packaged matzoh and canned pasta essentially everyday? That actually might be a good thing to do, you'll have your digestive system tuned up for the long haul of MT groc shoppe shelving. As suggested above, you really ought to lay in a supply of dry salami to help with variety and the adaptation. Tell you what, I loves me pepperoni, but my system would balk at a steady diet unless I was careful to eat it regularly enough to keep the flora and fauna up to speed. Or something like that.

Face it eddie, you are going to die if you don't get out of LA, so all this business of what to do in a WROL bug in situation is a waste of thinking. You will die of depredation, dehydration, lack of sanitation, greenapple quicksteps from cold BoyAreDee too often or some other easily foreseen effect.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you fell into a swamp of leaches, what should you do?
    Problem is swamps(cities) are every where , and finding work is not as easy as it was 20 years ago.
    Still the problem is people .
    When dad bought this property here, it was in the boonies, quiet .
    Now it's crowded with wineries and new construction, and flat landers clamoring in to buy homes in the area .
    I am forced to consider moving .

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and chelloveck like this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Those "Dang FlatLanders" are showing up everywhere....[lolol]

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  20. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I happen to like eating Pasta twice a week or so. I guess its that City living.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. RJFab
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. duane
  12. TnAndy
  13. chelloveck
  14. Dunerunner
  15. ditch witch
  16. john316
  17. Ganado
  18. DKR
  19. Zimmy
  20. DKR