List of Food That Doesn't Require Heating, Cooking or Refrigeration

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 25, 2017.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I guess what we have to understand about the question you have posed is that you are "preparing" for a minor inconvenience, not a disaster of any sort. For an inconvenience, a jar of peanut butter and a couple loafs of bread will suffice

2. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I wouldn't call 6 Months a little inconvenience What I love on this Forum is if you asked the simple question what does 1 + 1 Equal. you'd get a bunch of people replying "that's wasting my time and resources", some more replying look it up in our archives, some replies saying you're not going to survive in the City, a few more saying you're not going to survive, and a couple of replies saying, 2.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome to the world of survival monkeys....i'm surprised that you might expect otherwise. :D....all that's missing are mentions of liberals, sheeple, 2A, Hilary Clinton, Al Sharpton, pizzagate, deleted e-mails, Benghazi, The iĺlumenati, George Soros, Rosie O'Donnell, and Saul Alynski and my Survival Monkey bingo card will be complete. :rolleyes:

Ganado, ED GEiN and Motomom34 like this.
  4. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Oh come on, everyone knows that al sharpton is head of the illumenati who set up the whole pizzagate scandal with the help of rosie odonnel to frame hillary for bengazzi while george sorros controls the liberal sheeple using saul alynski's deleated emails to play 2A bingo right.....:p

5. chelloveck

Bingo!

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@ED GEiN just ignore it and focus on what the article that you linked Bloom Where You're Planted: Prepping to Survive Where You Are Right Now - The Organic Prepper says. That article is a goldmine IMO to get in the right frame of mind to do what you can with what you have, where you are at. Do you have a balcony? If so, depending on how the sun light is you should look into a solar oven. You will be able to make all sorts of things in this oven and it only requires sun and practice. IMO if you have a solar oven you could make tortillas and other meals that will not use as much water as boiling pasta. Water is essential so it is best to look for things that will not deplete your water supply.

Dunerunner, ED GEiN and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I based my comment on your initial post. 6 months is significantly different than 30 days. 30 days are probably an inconveneince, not having to deal with sub-freezing weather and burst pipes, but 6 months in any climate or locale requires more planning than the first. That's where your forethought comes into play. Planning, even if you don't have the space for storage of resources, will be the key, using your intellect to guide you. Questions are wonderful to get us all thinking but questions that extend beyond the obvious are what we really sink our teeth into.

8. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

You're Nostradamus, lol or close. I'm going to get an Anker Powerhouse and Anker Solar Charger in the next couple of months. Going to look up Solar Oven now. Hate to rub it in from what you were saying about your AC less house but that 105 degree day without power for 12 hours was one of the most miserable days I have ever lived through!

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I was looking for at least 30 days but I should have specified 6 months or so, I agree 30 days is an inconvenience

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@ED GEiN start small and build - store back one week,then go for one month, then go for three, etc..Cover all bases for each level - food, water, first aid, defense - before you start building out. Second is that if you think 12 hours in the heat is bad think about a week or a month or all summer followed by freezing at night. If you can make the effort to test your preps and abilities for a weekend, then when you think its dialed in go for a week. You are in control and can stop at any time so nothing to lose unless you don't try.

Dunerunner, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nice little generator. that will keep your fans going. I am going to read the reviews.

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

What generator? Nothing in the specs concerning a generator. Expensive battery power supply though.
    I do like my Anker cell phone charger packs.

Ganado, Homer Simpson and ghrit like this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Dude - you totally skipped Chemtrails and SIlver/gold coinage.

BINGO!

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are absolutely correct that I used the wrong word when commenting on that. I appreciate you pointing out the error.

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Personally I don't mind rehashing the usual information, largely because I'm old and can't always remember it all .
    And sometimes folks come up with stuff that's new to me .
    As life changes through time, one's survival plan can be altered. BBC's Worlds greatest disasters is a real eye opener .
    First prep, needs the most serious consideration , where you live. not where you think you can run to.
    Second, is being able to grow your own vegetables and meat ,( grown your self and kept alive till your need them requires no refrigeration) meaning you need land water (well ) and an education in gardening ,because there's more to it, than merely putting a seed in the ground .
    Even this prep requires canned food for the months food can't be grown or failed/ravaged/ bugged/raided/burned out/ ash covered crops.

Ganado, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  16. dickt

dickt Monkey+

Ghee ( clarified butter) is good non-refridgerated

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Went down to visit with the neighbors last week. Both in their 90's he grew up on the 400 acre farm they live on. She was talking about how they took meat, covered it in salt and pepper and then put it n a crock and it kept. They would wipe the mold off the side of the crock and pull out a layer of meat to cook. This was prior to refrigeration.

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Wouldn't it be more practical to go ahead and cook the meat, much like making it jerky, there by eliminating the mold issue altogether ?
    Basically that's what I plan on doing if the power goes out indefinitely .
    I'll run the generator, running all the refrigeration my soar cannot , long enough to have cooked or jerked all my deep frozen meats, and then save the generator/fuel for other necessities , and let the solar take care of the lighter taxing refrigeration needs that cannot be preserved other wise ,like medicines and such. I have small 12 volt DC and gas refrigerators, set aside for that.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

you can substitute with cheetos @chelloveck [LMAO]

i love cheetos but you might as well tape them to my ass, so i dont eat them, however they are a multipurpose food/fire starter lol

3M-TA3, DKR and chelloveck like this.
  20. chelloveck

That's not a mental image that I think I'd want to conjure with, Ganado. :eek: (the apostrophe is important) And I am sure that some contortionists could probably manage that exercise if that was the only way of satisfying their Cheeto addiction. ;)

Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. RJFab
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. duane
  12. TnAndy
  13. chelloveck
  14. Dunerunner
  15. ditch witch
  16. john316
  17. Ganado
  18. DKR
  19. Zimmy
  20. DKR