List of Food That Doesn't Require Heating, Cooking or Refrigeration

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have two stone crocks of brandied fruit that sits on the counter and gets dipped into a few times a year for treats over home-made ice cream. When they get a little low, I add more fruit, brown sugar, and brandy. The first I ever had was four decades ago from a crock that a friend's great grand mother had started in the 1850s.

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

And don't forget to make fruit c ake @Seacowboys with teahouse brandied fruit. :p

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Canned evaporated milk .
    powdered milk.
    dish washing liquid. I use for greasy laundry and washing my hands.
    supplies that will enable you to barter skills , i.e. sewing machine and related materials , carpentry and related tools and materials, electronics and related tools and equipment. plumbing and related tools, gardening and related supplies, including seed . leather working ,gloves, shoes, and sheathes, reinforcement on clothing, knees elbow patch, ect.. Welding supplies and books ,and skills for unusual alternatives. steel and fasteners. plastic welding, fiber glass , different forms of wax for candles,canning and other uses,
    Before ball jars , people use any thing that held water and sealed the top with wax. this could include opened can goods . If the can is as clean as is required for regular canning there is no reason it cannot be used for canning something else using wax to seal the top . Mom would make jams and jellies and simply used small jars that had no lid and poured a 1/2 inch of wax on the top and it did the job just fine and never had a failure to my knowledge . so long as the container are kept in a cool place so the wax is not compromised every thing is fine.

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

The best stuff for this would be canned milk or coconut milk for liquids
    Any canned veggie or fruit is possible but I would go with commercial canning because even the most careful canners have a bad jar or 2 a year of food. And theonly way you know its bad is by boiling it and watching the foam.

where i live we can bake potatoes in the sun but that is out for most ppl

When understress, one of the most comforting things you can do is make soup (yes yes I know this is a non cook thread) but imo it's worth figuring out how to heat water, soup etc for warm food in a high stress environment. There are lost of small camping stoves that could be used.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Just for information any pasta; Ramen noodles , spaghetti, elbows, bowties, etc... do not need to be heated to eat... they can be eaten dry of simply soaked in water... (It takes more time but will work)... It is not a necessity or required for health... just taste...

ED GEiN, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If an apartment dweller has a balcony with plenty of access to direct sunlight, it may be possible to cook vittles' in a solar oven...if there are no aromatic ingredients there shouldn't be much aroma to attract jealous attention.

Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Any freeze dried food can likewise be reconstituted and eaten... if taste and time are not important....

chelloveck likes this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Have done that occasionally for tactical reasons...it's edible, but palatability suffers somewhat...wrap the retort pouch in some black plastic and then enclose in a clear plastic bag... place in direct sunlight..it may take a while to heat up, but it would make the food more palatable, and stave off food fatigue.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  9. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks great info. What does this taste like? How long for pasta cause I want to try this. I give you the first Ed Gein Survival Monkey Award!

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The BEST Cheetos come from Canada. I don't remember the brand but a friend of an ex who was from there would get regular care packages from relatives with them. They were so good they were worth the posterior damage.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Dry roasted peanuts. Just ordered three plastic jugs of 2 lbs. 2.5 oz. each.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Times vary... but as mentioned by @chelloveck the darker the pouch/bag the warmer/shorter the wait.....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    chelloveck likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. RJFab
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. duane
  12. TnAndy
  13. chelloveck
  14. Dunerunner
  15. ditch witch
  16. john316
  17. Ganado
  18. DKR
  19. Zimmy
  20. DKR