literally raining oil in La

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am not in the least bit surprised. This is an ecological nightmare of epic proportions. Acid rain is nothing compared to this.

3. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

could you imagine fires after a big rain or, ****.. lightning strikes??? good lord..

4. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Yeah ok,

That's the oil from their leaking cars, being washed out by the rain.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

could be...

6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yeah every street here in MT looks like that the first few min of a rain storm. That's why they say the slickest period is the first 5 min the rain is coming down.

Byte

7. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

main roads, sure.. I've yet to see this kind of rainbow on my neighborhood street. Aside from that, they've already mentioned concern for heavy rain, hurricane etc type weather spreading oil hydrocarbons around. Could it be purely from automobiles? sure.. but I won't be so quick to discount that this is true considering the size and reach of the slick.

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Insufficient data!!! Reanalysis required. Resistance is futile. Comply immediately or be assimilated.

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Assimilate me baby; you know how I like to be part of the hive.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

No offense to Tango, but the internet is full of propagandizing morons. Try not to get caught up in their trolling. I think that what we need right now is sensible, honest reporting.

Can't blame you for falling for this one, Tango. The Gulf incident is going to continue to get worse.

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:rolleyes: Geez, you guys. Remember in 4th grade when you learned the water cycle? It sill works. ;)

[​IMG]

12. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

Obama suspended nature.. thank you , that is all.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now, don't get too far with the water cycle, rain will carry down contaminants. Like, for example, oily particles getting into the atmosphere from burning off the oil at sea.

(But I still think it's drips from the redneck cars.)

14. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

Don't forget that hydrocarbons can evaporate.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I didn't. Was thinking of sooty smoke particles.

16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

tornadoes, or water spouts, and such violent storms can pick up things one would never imagine and carry it quite some way before showering the earth with it. ... ie frogs and fish. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think that maybe surface oil sludge could get sucked up and deposited in coastal areas with rainfall as well.

17. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I think that is the concern with the tropical storms rolling in. My immediate concern is the formation of azeotrope's which are complex mixtures of two liquids which cannot be separated by distillation. There is your "oil-rain".

18. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Funny how we've had so many oil spills around the globe and apparently now is the first reports of oil rain? Me thinks the trailer parkers are wanting some BP $.

If this was a reasonable assumption, it would occur more frequently.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>Name</TD><TD></TD><TD>Molecular
    Formula

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Melting
    Point
    (<SUP>o</SUP>C)

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Boiling
    Point
    (<SUP>o</SUP>C)

</TD><TD></TD><TD>State at
    25<SUP>o</SUP>C

</TD></TR><TR><TD>methane</TD><TD></TD><TD>CH<SUB>4</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-183</TD><TD></TD><TD>-164</TD><TD></TD><TD>gas</TD></TR><TR><TD>ethane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>2</SUB>H<SUB>6</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-183</TD><TD></TD><TD>-89</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>propane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>3</SUB>H<SUB>8</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-190</TD><TD></TD><TD>-42</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>butane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>4</SUB>H<SUB>10</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-138</TD><TD></TD><TD>-0.5</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>pentane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>5</SUB>H<SUB>12</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-130</TD><TD></TD><TD>36</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>hexane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>6</SUB>H<SUB>14</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-95</TD><TD></TD><TD>69</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>heptane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>7</SUB>H<SUB>16</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-91</TD><TD></TD><TD>98</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>octane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>8</SUB>H<SUB>18</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-57</TD><TD></TD><TD>125</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>nonane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>9</SUB>H<SUB>20</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-51</TD><TD></TD><TD>151</TD><TD></TD><TD>liquid</TD></TR><TR><TD>decane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>10</SUB>H<SUB>22</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-30</TD><TD></TD><TD>174</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>undecane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>11</SUB>H<SUB>24</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-25</TD><TD></TD><TD>196</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>dodecane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>12</SUB>H<SUB>26</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>-10</TD><TD></TD><TD>216</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>eicosane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>20</SUB>H<SUB>42</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>37</TD><TD></TD><TD>343</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>triacontane</TD><TD></TD><TD>C<SUB>30</SUB>H<SUB>62</SUB></TD><TD></TD><TD>66</TD><TD></TD><TD>450</TD><TD></TD><TD>solid</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So the hydrocarbons larger than 6 carbons need a temp of about 212 F or more to boil. The ones lower than 6 are typically gases any way.

19. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

LOL

20. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

reason this is definately from the road oil is that the trailer pad doesn't have the rainbow on it. If it were really oil rain, lol then it'd be everywhere and not just the road.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7