Living in a tree

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Oh yeah. Not even close. My plan would be up at least 100 feet in a Douglas Fir. Oh no! I just gave away my location. Idiot. (Uh oh. YD snuck a post between AZ and I)

Outrageous accusation! Mods? Hello?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I will give you another click sir...... [fart]:lol:

Tully Mars and Meat like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Click bait,,,,,I feel used,,,,,

Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

May I help you?

Personally I think we should discuss living in a tree. Can't afford a BOL so why not look at affordable alternatives.

Meat likes this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yes. Accusations of a fix. :D
    There are very few obstacles that I haven't come up with a solution for. At least in my hard head. Leaving spike marks is one I suppose. Oops. :D

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Plus tracks around the tree. What about waste? Stinky question but it needs to be addressed.

Meat likes this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^Yes. Good points. :D

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

:rolleyes:

Meat likes this.
  9. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

there is a company in wa that builds big tree houses to live in

Meat likes this.
  10. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

im more of a tunnel and cave kind of guy lol

Meat likes this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

At least being from the PNW you can appreciate the Douglas Fir's potential I hope. It's not like I'm not coming down. For example #2. #1 is no problem. Let it rain. Lol. :D

I'm thinking more of a portable/temp dwelling. Nothing fancy or even visible to most folks. Thanks for the feedback though. :D

The only other obstacle I'm thinking of right now is finding delicious butter to sauté the delicious Chanterelles. Tying a cow to my tree is a death sentence for both of us. Oops :D

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No, You tie the cow to a tree 50 Yds away but within Eyesight.... and then Shoot the things that come to take the cow.... Easy Piezy...

Ganado, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Nothing to add sir? I promise that I have skills to add to the discussion. Unorthodox perhaps. :D

I'm hanging out at my property to see if my idiotic idea is possible. It is. Sleep like a baby in a big fir tree. Death from above if you want to tangle. MM is writing the check. $$$$$. :D

BTPost is still my hero. Can you adopt me sir? Please. :D

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Quite confident aren't you. :rolleyes:. So are you going to build a treehouse or just have a hammock and small platform? What about winter?

Meat likes this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I'm a very confident chap. I mean look at me. Seriously though I feel tree climbing is a skill others should know. Climbers are cheap. Rigging and rope knowledge speaks for itself. :D

16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Tree climbing definetly takes a little skill. I tried it back around '80, I wore the scabs on my stomach , chest and arms for month or so to prove it. But my teacher ( that's what I'll call him for respect of this forum ) at the time really screwed me up. Me , not knowing anything about climbing just did what he said. Years later , I found out the main thing that caused my mishap. He gave me Pole Spikes for a Pine Tree. Nuff said.:mad:

Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Tree climbing needs climbing spurs, belt, harness, and a strap , and you lean away from the tree a lot. Hugging the tree will provide you a fast ride down.
    I have short spike spurs, i've used on trees, but were made for polls ,(no bark).
    Actually having a tall tree for a look out is not a bad idea entirely , but if opposition is spotted there should be nothing distinguishable about that position, and the enemy , as in most conflicts; needs to be met a long way away from base .
    Any light, or the reflection of moon light , in open air can travel many miles ,even a match light . hence the phrase 3 on a match. naval standard lighting cigarettes on top deck.
    As important as it is to have the long view , having a below ground hide away has it's merits , but it can't e a single access bunker, It needs to be more like a rat hole with accesses in many directions so one can flank their opposition.
    Rats are not stupid , take the time and learn from them.
    Structures above ground are important as well done correctly. can be an electronic surveillance trap to listen in on incoming . Your enemy is going to be learning every thing about you, you need to know every thing possible about your enemy.

Meat likes this.
  18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Maybe it should have been titled sleeping in a tree as most of the living part would obviously be on the forest floor. Think about how peaceful your sleep could be. The Boogeyman ain't getting up there. :D

19. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I'm going to submit 2 pictures of a nice Fir tree in my backyard. It stands alone and I feel anyone would be hard pressed to notice me up there. This type of a tree surrounded by others would make it virtually impossible. (FYI I need an assist to post when someone is available) :D

20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If you removed an eight foot section from the trunk nobody would be able to climb up to get you.

1. Motomom34
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Bishop
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Radishman