Living in a tree

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Sounds good. Wait huh?
    I've installed anti-climbing devices on poles before. The problem lies in getting past it myself. I believe a have a solution. :D I've also already thought of a sucker with a chainsaw. Oops for him. :D

3M-TA3 and Ganado like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is the tree that @Meat will be calling home when SHTF.

IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

Since you didn't give a location to your BOL I figured it was okay to post the pictures you sent me.

Ganado, Meat and Yard Dart like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

At 75 feet, if you build small, it should provide good cover... also keep your route up the Tree, concealed...

Ganado, Meat and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Thanks. I think. :D

Ganado likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Remember that the tree will continuer to grow, both in girth, and length, so your construction should be flexible . Also the root system needs to be encouraged to deepen and widen . you are after all adding both weight and wind resistance to it framework that it will have to grow into accommodate,
    If the area typically does not get heavy winds , anticipate them as in having an emergency rope system in place so ropes can be dropped and you can repel down and anchor on to the bases of surrounding trees, or other significant anchor points. .

Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Thanks. The escape idea was in my head already. The others not so much. :D

7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Bottom line is a tree can provide you safety and security at night at the very least. With a couple of simple measures there is nothing getting to you period. Maybe an act of God brings you down. Fat chance though. End of thread. :D

Ganado likes this.
  8. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

A tree grows upward out of the top. In other words, if you pound a nail into the tree five feet above the ground, the nail will not move upwards with the tree. For a Douglas Fir the girth increase may be as much as 1/16th of an inch per healthy year. I don't believe that he was much to worry about.

9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I like a good joke as much as anyone. Believe me. If you're serious about your Stihl/Husky firing up you are going to get yourself a rain of stuff that you'll never believe. Let alone the spikes you're going to hit once you start sawing. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^Not sure about that but...........I'll be waiting. Lol. :D

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What are the odds of getting attacked in a tree house vs. a regular house? It may not be a bad idea. What makes a normal house any safer?

Meat likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Once the tree is done and systems are in place for monitoring the surrounding area, that significant vantage point could fend of raiders at a distance .
    It might be advisable to have a steel shield around the tree, roughly 10' high, and then take bark from a similar tree and cover the steel .

13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

*rubs my hands together* This is getting good now. :D

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

:D

15. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

What's good about it?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^It's already started. :D

17. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

How are you going to get fuel (for heat), water, etc. up and what are you going to do with all of the generated waste? The idea still seems impractical to me. How does the adage - 'when in trouble don't go up' - not apply here?

18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^I'm not familiar with that particular adage but I've thought this idea through very carefully. There's not too many obstacles that I myself can't overcome. Like I've mentioned before, it's probably more like sleeping/hanging in the tree. The rest of the time would be on solid ground. :D

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Initially, I had thought of trees as a good overnight spot.

Then, I had a better idea - a small cottage. No problem with water, waste goes downstream and the wood lot is next door.
    [​IMG]

Island House, Drina River, Serbia. The commute is gunna be a killer tho

3M-TA3, Yard Dart, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    a nice close up of the island house....

[​IMG]
    which may not always work out all that well.....

3M-TA3, Yard Dart, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Bishop
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Radishman