Lock Picking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Feb 5, 2015.

1. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Just a cool trick.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

We'd do much the same with those Yale padlocks in high school. I once bet a buddy I could open his locker without using a key on his Yale. I took my shoe, and rapped it a good lick with the heel. That lock opened immediately! Shocked him. ;)

hbk101274 likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That will work with the older padlocks, with the spring loaded hasps, but not with the new stuff that use a rotary cylinder and ball mechanism. (The ball ends up half in the hasp, and half in the body when closed, and often on both ends of the hasp.) In the locked position, there is no where for the ball to be displaced to.

4. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

5. kellory

6. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Not true. Its attacking the pins in the tumbler, if the tumbler is defeated and turned, the lock will open. Why would locking balls on the hasp have anything to do with it not opening on a pin tumbler that is picked?

7. kellory

1)The cyclinder DOES NOT TURN AS THERE IS NO TENSIONER INVOLVED TO TURN IT. You are dealing strictly with impact, and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You strike, and the latch that holds the hasp moves in the opposite direction. Simple physics.
    2) Besides that, look at the lock keyway. In nearly all padlocks I've seen, the keyway is parallel to the body of the lock. This mean the pins would be horizontal when struck and no movement would be imparted to move the pins to line up on the sheerline. This is an attack of the spring loaded latch, and is defeated as I stated in more modern locks by the ball mechanism.
    3) the term "picking" refers to the act of using "picks" to move pins from the inside.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  8. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Just up front, if I come of as a "dick" I don't mean to, just having a friendly disagreement. So, with all do respect, your stance is that a newer padlock with a ball locking mechanism can't or is harder to bump? Your first point being there is no tension involved to turn it? Of course there is, tension is placed on the key with the index finger usually. If there is no tension, the lock will not open at, no matter how many times you reset the key and hit it. Your second point, I really don't understand. In a bump attack, the pins are going to react to the force if the cylinder is left, right, horizontal, vertical, of the lock body,doesn't matter. Also, a padlock sometimes can be opened by just applying tension to the key way and banging it on a table. This method is called rapping. The term picking pretty much encompasses opening a lock with something other than a key.

9. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Brass craftsman padlock pick raked open with offset diamond in under 30 seconds!

10. kellory

You just proved a couple of my points. Look at.the keyway in this video. It is inline with the body, so a strike in the ends of the lock are the ONLY directions that can effect pin travel. Second point, a diamond rake is just a different shaped rake, and he DID employ a tensioner. This is normal picking technique. Rapping, shimming, foils are all different techniques I use daily. Keeping people out of places they do not belong, is what I do. I carry picks as just one of many tools in my bag of tricks.
    Now, in the lock on lock strike, no tensioner was used, so the cylinder did not turn, so it was not pin defeated.
    Think what you like, but I've been rekeying locks since I was in my teens, and installing, repairing, rekeying, and preventing access to malcontents for more than thirty years.
    Picking is the use of tools to.move pins.
    Shimming defeats the latching mechinism by sliding between the parts to push them apart. Shimming is also done on the sheerline, to defeat the pins, but that is done from the backside of the lock (door locks, or any disassembled lock).
    Rapping exploits the fact that moving parts have momentum, and inertia. And moving lock parts can be moved by a strike in the right direction.
    These all fall under the heading of opening a lock, but not all under picking, except in the most general sense.

11. kellory

Lock Picking How-To with Cut Away Lock in Practice Stand:

Lock Picking 101 - School Of Locksmithery:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  12. kellory

Here is what is really going on inside that masterlock 175 combination lock. It is a latch attack (rapping), not pins.

How to Open a Master Lock 175 in 3 Sec. Cutaway Bypass Lock Picking:

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  13. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

14. kellory

I'm going to assume, you made the video, and it is accurate. (Yes, it can be done that way) ,but it would be more convincing, if you were to show that the key you are using, does not ALREADY open that lock.:rolleyes:

This type of YouTube fooled a great deal of people into believing they could really open a car door with a tennis ball.(in reality, it is electric door locks, and a remote control:lol:)

How to open a car with a tennis ball WORKS!:

15. kellory

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh come on! It's a SCHLAGE!!! Everybody knows they have standard pins only and are about as easy as it gets.

Of course, wouldn't it be a real PAIN to find one with security pins and seriously serrated pins? hehehehehe.

17. kellory

picking high security pins:

Security Pins Part 2:

(189) How to Detect and Beat Spool Pins (for Beginners):

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  18. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Kellory, are you a lock smith?

19. kellory

Not certified, but trained. It is a small part of what I do.

20. kellory

(553) Make Bump Keys the RIGHT way!:

1. Qwertyportne
  2. hot diggity
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. DKR
  6. Motomom34
  7. wideym
  8. Benjamin A. Wood
  9. Benjamin A. Wood