Lock Picking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

A bottle jack and a 2×4 will get you past almost anything. Wish I would've seen some of these videos however. My neighbor was recently in the hospital and needed some things out of his house. Instead of ruining his door jam, I drilled out his tumblers, got his things, and replaced his deadbolt. Nice thread.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

While I do appreciate the input, let's all try to remember this is about the hobby of lockpicking and the sharing of ideas surrounding actual lock picking with lock picks and the necessary skill involved with picking locks.

Anybody is welcome to start another thread about breaking into homes and 30 lb. jacks and 20 lb. drills to carry around and sledgehammers and cars to break down doors. Just remember, you will most likely be warned every third post about the legalities surrounding the hobby of breaking doors down, especially since it isn't a hobby at all.

Ganado, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  3. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I remember those stupid little tiny locked diaries I had when I was a kid...I lost my key to it, but you can pick those with a clothes hanger...

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No need to worry about locks, when the only thing left, is a BIG Smok'en Hole in the Ground......

5. roger smith

roger smith Neophyte Monkey

This technique can waste your lot of time in making this. Before consider lock picking discuss with the locksmith , they know which tool is suitable for the specified lock as they have work of repairing and replacing the locks. So they can help you in having the best lock pick tool for you,

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Nice thought, but is not likely to be very successful for you. One, you are then horning in on his business. Two, it makes you suspicious as to why you want to open locks you do not have keys to. Three, picks can be bought one at a time or in sets, because ever lock is different. So a rake may be the best choice on this one, and a Jay hook best on another of the same type. (Depends on how it is pinned). That's why it is best to understand how they work, before you try to open them. In some cases, it is best to shim a lock open and ignore the pins entirely. So don't rely on a locksmith to teach you how to open your locks, that goes counter to his training.

Brokor likes this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

kellory likes this.
  8. Wilder_l

Wilder_l Monkey

There are so many great resources on here! So many new things to learn! I remember when my knowledge on picking locks was limited to using a hammer or crowbar coupled with the blunt force of my shoulder. Needless to say my shoulder hurt after a few times and I decided to give it a rest. I've always been the DIY type of person so it bothers me when I have to call a locksmith to help me out, especially when I know there are many resources online that can teach me a great deal.

I became really interested in lockpicking when I saw a friend of mine practicing with a few locks they bought. The finesse and patience they used to navigate these locks had me really intrigued and I wanted to be able to do that, as well as pick my way into my house if I ever got locked out. There's something about it that screams Mission Impossible. My friend pointed me in the direction of a blog post they had stumbled across that they thought would be an amazing resource for a practicing beginner like me. If you're getting started you should definitely check it out. I'm making my way down the list! If anyone else starts to do the same let me know and we can compare experiences on how it went!

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I was a kid dad had a lot of cars and cabinets with locks he'd loose the keys to or they were so worn out the key wouldn't work so Il learned how to open locks and take them apart and reset the tumblers to fit another key he already had .
    I do this of my self as well so that I don't have to cary so many keys.
    It came in handy working on boats because though the customer ordered work they fail to supply the key, so my talents came in handy.

It is my experience that if some one want's in, they are not going to be stopped at the front door.
    Chances are you won't be home if the are simply a common thief .
    I have my preps and valuables in a secret room ,and it's great even my brother couldn't find them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
    Brokor and kellory like this.
  10. Brokor

They can't break into a room if they can't find it.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Nice tip from a happy customer, today..... 20160428_101253. 20160428_101226. 20160428_101219.

Brokor, Meat, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  12. Brokor

@kellory Oh, Goso standard, dimple and wafer pick set? That's a dandy!
    :)

kellory likes this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Ratcheting guy cutters are wicked. :Dhttp://m.jharlen.com/coopto8690ck.html

1. AgentPickle
  2. Qwertyportne
  3. hot diggity
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. AxesAreBetter
  6. DKR
  7. Motomom34