Long term yeast storage

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by alaskachick, Dec 29, 2018.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

I thought I heard of long storage yeast. I can’t find any. I have the 2 year stuff and know frozen it lasts longer. I also do the sourdough thing. A recent experience with brick like cinnamon rolls, made with 12 year old yeast that I thought I had proofed and used 3 times the amount called for....... you know the rest. I just thought it would be nice to have “regular” yeast for special occasions. I found recipes for making yeast but figure my sourdough is just easier. And nothing compares to sourdough pancakes, but I just was hoping for a non-frozen alternative for regular yeast.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I would be interested in this as well. Now we just vac seal the the 2 yr stuff and keep in the chest freezer. Never used anything older than 3-4 yr old stuff, but has still worked well.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I vac seal mine and store it in the pantry that dowsn't get above 65 degrees. Keeps OK there. Freezing is another alternative, just have to keep it away from moisture. You can always make an occasional beer and always have all the liquid yeast slurry you could possibly use.

I like the sourdough thing but I have trouble getting the stuff started, especially in the winter.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I purchase the compressed block yeast, left sealed it will last for years.

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Is you have insta yeast or dry yeast?
    this is Red Star's site
    Shelf Life and Storage: Dry Yeast | Red Star Yeast

King Arthur says it remains unable indefinitely if you vacuum back it
    https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/yeast.html

Ive never used vacuum pack past 6 years old as I rotate annually

One of my acquaintances says she can revive dry yeast if she has to with potato water. (when you boil potatoes the starch water is highly attractive to yeast)

Is this the Monkey site you were looking for?
    Yeast Storage

Recipe - "Salt Raised Bread"

Murfylang likes this.
  6. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Thanks all! I knew I would get some great ideas. And please let me share some of my sourdough knowledge. You don’t HAVE to feed and use it all of the time. It can go a long time without feeding, the blackish liquid stuff that forms on top if you ignore it for a little while can just be stirred back in. Or you can drink it. Ever hear of “hootch” :) (your results may vary). You can also dry the starter and reconstitute it later. So don’t be afraid to try it or store the dried version in a cache inside a jar or plastic bag to keep it dry until you want to use it.

When my yeast arrives from Amazon (gotta love prime and free shipping) I will divide it up, put it in a couple of vacuum bags and freeze.

I love the King Arthur site and thanks for the link to the monkey posts. I have included a small amount of my knowledge of things sourdough below or above as the case may be

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2018
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Try mixing fresh Dry coffee grounds and/or pure caco/chocolate bean grinds with your sour dough! That's what we do in Ukraine, we typically get about 4 years un fed, and longer if you reactivate it now and then! A typical start can last at least 4 years or longer if kept below 40 deg in a dark place! You have to filter out the coffee/ chocolate if you want regular sourdough vs Black bread! It's the same ether way!

Cruisin Sloth, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OMG, alaskachick knows how to make hootch, Bruce... did she tell you about her career as an Ice Road Trucker chick?

Rancher

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea, I have known her history for almost 50 years... One amazing Chick...

Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. Ganado
  11. john316
  12. DKR
  13. DKR
  14. apache235
  15. Ganado
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid