Looking for guidance: Personal/Business Problems

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by AxesAreBetter, Oct 27, 2018.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

So, about 14 months ago I moved from doing shows to opening a full time store front on my business. Might have noticed a drop off on me being on here around that time, don't hardly have time to think anymore.
    For a little personal context for the second half of this post, I had the good fortune of standing in front of a gun that got dropped, and I now have a permanent foot injury that I am too young to receive disability for. I started my business because of bills, built $136 worth of supplies into the shop I have today. Very proud of it, very broke from doing it. I also have gout now, compliments of lead damage, go figure. I cannot wear shoes, I am just now getting to where I can reliably walk over a mile under a GHB load, and I absolutely suck with computers. Not very employable.

I am in a position where my landlord at my shop simply has decided that they do not want to do business with me anymore, and I need to move as soon as I can find a place and get my licenses moved.
    I cannot find anything I can afford in the area (not paying $2500 a month rent in a parish with 15000 people in it!!!), but I'm looking into some land I might can pick a note at the bank for, and move in a portable building to get started on. Don't have a lot to offer a bank at this point, just a track record of turning money into more money, but nobody seems to really care about that I'm finding.
    With a new spot, I can get back into teaching concealed carry, and I am considering starting to offer survival courses on weekends, I have a curriculum outlined that I think would work based on my teaching experience with the guns, but it is a new market, and I would have to borrow even more money to advertise it. There is, however, no one else in the area doing it, and I have a firm handle on how much the area is willing to pay for courses.

i'm been wracking my brain for options over the last couple of weeks, and I am not coming up with much. Figured y'all might have a different perspective on the deal. At least help me clear my head.

Zimmy, UncleMorgan, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Never good to start out with debt. Bankruptcy courts are full of people who tried to finance their personal ideal of what is great and good and needed. I personally would find a silent partner with the land you need and agree on a split of net profit.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I agree with @Tempstar that going into business in debt is a losing proposition. Can't you do this business from your home, or perhaps rent a space for one day a week, or find a local church, school, senior center, Elks Club, etc. that will allow you to use their facilities for your classes?

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Unfortunately, no on both. Thrown a wide loop, come up empty. Only people with land out here are farming it. I mean, I can pick up 90+ acre plots, but that is a little much for what I need.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Find someone to help you get an eBay store opened, maybe... this is tough. Are there any retail stores that might carry your merch?

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Every time you say borrow or bank it makes me cringe. A silent partner that backs the cash flow on start up and you doing the work and a clear first right of refusal in the contract would be the way I would go as well.

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

What about Flea Markets. Sometimes people show up there ready to spend money. Been thinking about trying to sell off some stuff at a local one around here . I've known 2 people that have made some decent money for a weekend gig at a flea market , one girl was selling candles , another guy said he did good selling fishing equipment . That might get you some exposure and maybe some online sales . Just a thought .

8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Years of experience have proved to me that any new or reestablished business requires at least 6 months of capitalization before opening the doors. You have to be able to self finance your wages or draw, inventory, operating expenses such as rent, utilities etc and any debt expense. If you start with debt expense, that in itself will take a large chunk of your capital leaving little for the other requirements. I think Dunerunner has offered excellent suggestions but you will still need that 6 month cash cushion. If you even think of hiring someone to work for you, remember that it will take a minimum of 90 days before you see any return of what you invest in them and even then, the return may not be profitable. Work hard to develop an achievable business plan and and don't let high expectations of success overshadow what your business plan and common sense dictate. Proceed with enthusiasm and a great deal of caution. Good luck

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

If I did not need to vacate the shop, I would be fine. Sells are increasing, I have regulars and foot traffic.

I got started in shows, flea markets around here are not events, they are warehouse you rent space to park crap that nobody wants in.

This may help explain this: I have an FFL, I have a sporting goods store specializing in knives, guns, and survival gear that I have tested models of, and do not mind having people associate my good name when discussing where they got them from. The firearms license has some VERY specific clauses on who and where those products can go. Honestly, it's kind of amazing how hard it is to find a partner for a gun shop.

@RightHand - that has been my bumbled through experience as well, which is part of what has me so bent out of shape over the deal. I certainly am proceeding with caution, and trying not to let enthusiasm lead me into any dark alleys were there is no foot traffic. Haha. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2018
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

See if you can get some addresses or emails to keep in touch and forward on any deals you can put together as a mail order type deal . Plus you can let them know when and where you are when you reopen . For what it's worth.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lafayette,Terrebonne and Calcasieu are some of the riches parishes, You may want to consider one of those to relocate too.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Son, that a long drive. Haha. Certainly everything is clustered around there.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No matter if it's too much for you now, get it anyway and rent to a farmer.

Absolutely.

Best o' luck.

14. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

If you have family or a trusted friend to help you, you might consider joining the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., and setting up a merchant tent at the larger ("Kingdom") events.

Louisiana is the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann. Gleann Abhann – Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

There is a few dollars for entry, and usually no merchant fees.

SCAdians appreciate blades like few others on this earth.

Make up a quick&easy Viking tent, or just use a pop-up 10X10.

Having a family or a friend to run you booth when you have other places to be makes the merchant thing very convenient.

A lot of smiths and blade -makers sell a good amount off their tables--and take orders for three times as much that they deliver either by mail or at another Event.

At even a small event, a merchant can do a grand, and at a good Kingdom event, three times that.

I used to run a joint called Jolly Sven's Bargain Pillage. It was a hoot, and made a significant contribution to my always too small hoard of raw ruddy red gold.

One other thing--SCA merchants often share space so the wares of each draw additional customers to both. Find a fletcher and negotiate space for one table. Or a leather worker who would happily make sheathes for your customers. Or you. Etc.

It's amazing how well a two-headed dragon tooled on a sheathe will sell a fine ax.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Gator 45/70 and AxesAreBetter like this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

What she said++++++

Started a business years ago with a skill set and a partner.
    Partner sucked and embezzlement by him followed.
    Gave him an offer he could not refuse. Buy me out or go to JAIL.
    No Partners.
    Start slow.
    Do what you know.
    No Debt.
    No Loans
    No Banks.
    You will survive and loose a lot of sleep.
    You will worry a lot
    and
    You will survive.
    Any business takes at least 5 years to become established and solvent.
    OH and learn accounting and use a computer accounting program.
    Do not work out of your back pocket.
    Pay your taxes.
    One day you will be a success.
    One day you can be up at 0142 like I am, drinking good scotch and telling some one else what it takes to start a business and be retired, because you can now sleep in tomorrow.

You can thank the local varmints for this reply as they tripped my solar powered light net work and caused me to get up in the first place and then to have the Scotch and read your post.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

The paradox is that while it''s true that you shouldn't go into debt to start a business, it's almost impossible to start a business without accruing some kind of debt! Hardly anyone has the liquid cash to open a physical store and not borrow even one cent.

Assuming you have not done anything to piss off your landlord, he probably determined that the rental rate on the property is worth more than what he is charging you. I doubt he wants to kick you out just for the hell of it. No one will take $10 if they know the market commands $20. Maybe he has plans to sell the place and does not want any leases getting in the way. Maybe he wants to let a friend or family member move in.

My point is, do not parse the landlord's intentions or let yourself be bitter. He's looking out for his bottom line just as you are looking out for yours. It's not meant to offend anyone; it's just business.

As for starting a new business, buying property zoned for a business is a lot more complicated than buying a house, and you don't have the same financing options. Converting property to business use from some other purpose is another huge hassle. One of the benefits of renting business property is that all that background work is done for you; it also allows access to property that you probably could not afford to buy. If the business does not work out you are not stuck sitting on a chunk of land.

It sounds like you have built a good name for yourself, so hopefully you can transport that name elsewhere. Have you considered subletting counter space within an existing business? Or maybe hook up with someone you can share a space with? Preferably it would set up so you do your thing and they do theirs. You would not be "partners" as much as "roommates".

I've never started a business but I have a close friend who did and have seen for myself how incredibly difficult it is. It takes a special kind of person and not everyone makes the cut. I helped my buddy by doing electrical work and other upgrades so he would not have to pay a contractor. He's been chugging along for about eight years now. Not getting rich, but doing ok and very happy working 60-70 hour weeks in exchange for answering to no one. I respect anyone who can pull it off.

Motomom34, UncleMorgan, Alf60 and 3 others like this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

@UncleMorgan - I have been getting a lot more into leatherworking lately, can actually do it during work hours. Any suggestions for stuff that would sell to the SCA crowd? I am acquaintances with the people who are bringing the local shire out of 3 years of dormancy, but I don't know what to make, and my leather supply is limited.

@Tevin - the landlord situation is more complicated, but he has also not been living up to his side of the bargain, and there are some local politics involved that I did not get wind of until 6 months after I moved in. I am honestly not bitter, I'm angry over how he is going about things...enough said, at least until I move. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2018
  18. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

I started my first business when I was 23 (42 yrs ago), and have only taken an official loan 1 time...it worked out just fine, but probably better to avoid.....
    What about attracting investors? Friends/Family/Etc......you can pay them back as you become successful with an easier payback plan, you could set it up so there are no payments due for 1 yr, or more. Offer small shares of the business as incentive. I assume you will incorporate due to the higher liability related to the weapons business? If you haven't you should consult an attorney re this. Be shame to build it up and then lose it all and your home too...

Just some thoughts....

UncleMorgan and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Nobody in the family is overly interested. Been almost entirely on my own in this endeavor.

20. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Well, what about moving to a larger metro area?
    There is always another way, don't limit yourself would be my best advice......

UncleMorgan, Tevin and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7