Loss of Power/Home Heating- Are you Prepared?!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Well I didn't list it because frankly I'm not sure what to call it but I have a version of one. Saw the street vendors in Thailand using them and was impressed how they could cook all day on just a few bits of charcoal or scrap wood, so when I found some at the local Asian market I got it. The thing is pretty cool, made for a wok to set down in it just right but easy enough to throw a pot on it too. Basically a clay lined bucket that you can set a grate on or set your wok right on top of.

I have about fifty cinderblocks lying around too.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My doublewide was equipped with all-electric, and the Fridge, Stove/Oven, and Central Air/Heat have all failed after some twelve years. So, my 'back up' is now my daily standard. I cook with microwave and larger toaster oven, with gas camp stoves as back up. My AC is now a couple smaller and more efficient window units, and heat is by two larger room type electric portable heaters with Big Buddy propane heaters to back them up on the really chilly days/nights. Here in northern Florida, it commonly hits the upper teens and low twenties in January - we have already had this happen this year in mid November! More to come I am sure.
    Overall my electric costs are much lower than when I had the big whole-house Central unit - it wasted a lot of cold/heat in the under-floor ducting and in unused rooms.
    I also have an electric blanket, and a couple good sleeping bags, one is 0 degree, the other 15 degree - sufficient for local conditions.
    I keep a forty and four twenty pound propane tanks filled for the Buddies. And yes, I do make sure to vent the house. ;-)

oldawg likes this.
  3. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I sit here with the light blinking and the snow falling at about an inch per hour.
    Barrel heater in porch with 5 gal can of K1, propane lanterns just re-mantled and ready.
    Generator had a test run yesterday. Both vehicles topped off today & 5-5gal gas cans in shed.
    Haven't had a power outage at all since the Great Ice Storm of '08 but we're ready ! [coo]

4. lancekedric

lancekedric Monkey

There are companies that offer conversion plan for your gensets like gomowpropane. Propane helps a lot during emergency since you can store them safely for long

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a 1942 Austin/Western Road Grader with an International Harvester Engine that is both Gasoline Powered, or Diesel Powered... One side has a Distributers, Spark Plugs and a Carburator. The other side, has Injectors, and an Injection Pump. You start it on Gasoline, and let it warm up, then slowly open the Diesel Throttle, untill it starts to smoke a lot of White Smoke. Then when it is good and warm, you throw the conversion Lever, and it becomes a Diesel Engine, and you can then turn off the gasoline to the carb, and turn off the Ignition Switch, and go grade the roads... So yes it is possible to have a Gas/Diesel Engine....

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I remember those , man were dating ourself's ..

I remember a guy who had clay flour pots & small candles that lasted 4 hours . it would heat rooms for pennies
    tea candle heater - YouTube

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  7. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Everybody will poo poo my experiences in no power down south, because they think it never gets below 70 here. LOL. But when we lived in IL we had a fireplace on every floor. In a one room cabin in MN, it was a coal burning stove. In the woods it's 2 fire reflectors and lotsa firewood.

8. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

because of the more then normal rain storms we been having here in e-tex.. we've been having more then normal outages as well...last one lasted 20 1/2 HR'S...so i've been stocking up on more items for them.in which most of the items i been getting.i not only consider as camping items.like a camping stove and 2 propane bottles for it.and a 8 cup percalator for coffee..but i also consider them as good power outage items as well..mainly the 8 cup percalator for coffee..pluss i started saveing plastic bottles.then filling with water.in which i keep in the freezer.some,if not most of them,wil go into the fridge during a outage.i still need a back up genarator for the fridge n freezer thoe.in which i'll run it long enough to cool of the fridge n frezzer.then shut it down for a while.

Tully Mars, ghrit and kellory like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You are headed in the right direction. ;)

Tully Mars and ghrit like this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

oh yeah..just taking my time.and getting whats needed... (y)

Ganado, ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  11. kellory

Now, look into a water filter. Your drinking water (and coffee water) could be polluted. You need to be able to tell, and do something about it.....right now. Can you cover that need now?;) it is a basic and vital one.

12. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i do plan on getting life straw(s) when i can.not sure what type of everyday filtration system i'll be going with yet.been leaning in the direction of a 10 gallon still,just for purifying water only....and been buying 1 gallon store bought water.in which i have 14 or 15 gallons in my home at this time.and another 2 gallons in the vehicle..

13. kellory

For the short term, you might pick up one of those Brita-pitchers, that filter water. Relatively cheap, and easy to find.

14. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

we do have one.but i think it was put in with the yard sale stuff..thanks of reminding me of it.it only needs cleaning.and new filters..

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Think Berkey

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

we're having some serious rain moving through.so i did one thing i should of done before now.i went through some plastic jars with lids,that i have.cleaned them..then filled them with water,and put them into the freezer.there,they will stay untill a power outage.then will be moved to the fridge when the electric goes out..plus i also have 2 plastic bottles that some sort of flavored wat came in.they'll go into the freezer as well,once refilled with tap water..

17. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Be much better served with the Berkey than the Brita...as far as actually filtering the bad stuff out.

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. kellory

True, but berkleys are expensive, and if he does not even have life straws yet, (with a limited life span) brita's are pretty cheap. Not the top of the line, but better than the current version.

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Gator 45/70
  8. 3M-TA3