Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TailorMadeHell, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

I just learned my yes dears: yes dear you're right dear, yes dear right away dear and yes dear right away dear. Other than that I just curl up and take my beating. Martial arts, oh sorry, I thought it was marital arts.
    Don't tell my wife I said that.

Jeff Brackett, chelloveck and Beano like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

What? There is a difference? Since When? The Discipline that I learned, and the Spiritual Calm that came from that discipline, have been what kept Me, married, once I grew up, and understood what is was to be a GOD fearing Man. These are LIFE Lessons that each Human needs to learn, One Way, or Another. Some get it from "The School of Hard Knocks" Some get it from their own Intellect, but MOST get it from a combination of BOTH. A few never get it, and are lonely, for Ever. . Marriage is a Partnership of Equals, and Wisdom comes from doing that WELL.....

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I thought MA stood for Manual of arms... like the MA colt 1911 or MA 12 gague shotgun....;)

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Wahts a gague? :)

My daughter just got her second stripe (white belt) in Taekwondo.

BTPost and tulianr like this.
  5. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Im schooled in the art of not likeing to get my a$$ kicked. Im no professional fighter but ive been in a few scrapes. Ive found out that the bigger they are the harder they will fall, but the bigger they are they generally hit harder! A swift kick to the groin will take most guys down(if it dont id start running). Ive also found out if you are aproached by a few guys, and you can drop one in the first hit it makes the others kinda question weather they want to fight. Also found out a good hard right, right in the ol snotbox(nose) will take alotta fight out of a guy( try getting hit in the nose it hurts!!!). Now like i said im not trained in any martial arts nor am i a pro fighter. I dont go out planning to fight but am not afraid to defend myself.if i had the recources closer i would take classes for mma. We do however have boxing gloves and me and the guys do spar.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My adage has always been, "There ain't NOBODY, so Big, that you can't sneak up behind them, with a Lead Pipe" All it takes is some Planning....

sasquatch91 likes this.
  7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I remember in high school watching Clyde's style of responding to a threat...

Some guys started to hassle us in the parking lot of a 7-11 one morning on the way to school and @Clyde jumps (at them) over the hood of the vehicle screaming like a Sioux fresh off the war path. He bristles up with this guttural, primal look on his face and literary started beating his chest while howling at the top of his lungs - drool flying out of his mouth.

No further harassment ensued as the would-be toughs high tailed it back to the safety of their car.

If you don't know how to fight, at least take a page from the cat: look big, slightly insane and make noises that no one's ever heard before.

8. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

My martial arts involve three feet of steel, although I practice with weighted wood.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I remember a quiet Indian kid, in high school, who impressed me. He was attacked and did his best to walk away (as I was taught), but the hard a$$ kept coming. My friend jumped on his chest with both feet, grabbed his coat collar, jack knifed off his chest while falling backwards, and threw his attacker completely over him . Lands feet first on his attacker's chest., and kicks off. He didn't even mess his combed and oiled hair. To this day, I don't know how he did it, and I was there.

10. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Those are some of the most unbelievable moments, and if someone else told you about it, you'd call them a liar, 'cause it can't be possible. I've seen a few, so I won't, but I know the feeling.

11. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

I was involved in a blind rage incident where I picked a man a little larger than me off the ground by the neck. He came at me and that was the last thing I remembered. Someone had to tell me what happened. I avoid direct conflict ever since that episode.

12. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

That's actually one of the best reasons to study a martial art. I was very given to blind rages as a youngster. I had a much larger (6 foot five, in the tenth grade), older brother, who delighted in picking on me. I don't mean little things; he did things quite capable of hospitalizing me. Physically resisting him on an equal playing field was near to impossible, as I barely came up to his breast bone. So, I got mean. He would push me to the limit of my self control, and I would fly into a blind rage and try my best to kill him. At this point, he would usually run for all he was worth. Quite a few times, he didn't flee quickly enough. I got him in the spine with a ball peen hammer once. I thought I'd finished him off that time. I got him in the back of the head with a glass 32 oz coke bottle (back when they were glass) one time. That put him down for almost an hour. He wasn't right for the rest of the day after that one.

Anyway, the blind rages followed me into adulthood, as did the tendency to pick up whatever was at hand and knock the devil out of whomever was annoying me, or grabbing them by the throat and pounding them until someone dragged me off of them. I started studying karate in my early twenties, and the temper and rages went away. I would still get angry, but in a calm, calculating manner. I think it is because martial arts offer you many options when dealing with a physical encounter. It is no longer necessary to beat someone into unconsciousness in order to subdue them. You can decide upon the level of response you wish to use.

13. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

At 62 I'm still in pretty fair shape but I doubt I could handle martial arts without hurting myself. Soemtimes I feel like I could do anything and at other times I'm pretty sure I can't. I may try to get one ofmy granddaughters interested.

14. tulianr

Honestly, I believe it is just a matter of finding the right art and the right school. At my school, the senior is instructor is seventy-eight, and I'm pretty sure he could kill me without looking up from his lunch. All of the black-belts of the school are required to teach. There are probably thirty-five instructor black-belts there and, of those, there are at least twenty of them who are sixty and over. One of my favorite instructors is a retired physics teacher who had never walked into a martial arts school until he was in his late forties, and had already had both knees replaced. That was his answer to his doctor's advise that he just get used to the idea that he wasn't going to be able to do some of the things that he used to do. He and his wife (a retired French teacher) are both fifth degree black-belts now. A large percentage of the students didn't start studying martial arts until they were in their forties and fifties, and many were older than that. They were retired, and finally had the time to do some of the things that they had always wanted to do.

Our senior instructor even encourages folks, young and old, with physical disabilities to attend classes. One fellow has a degenerative muscle disease, and needs a walker to steady himself on the floor. Our instructor's thought is that everyone can benefit from some facet of the training. It's not a competition. Everyone is on their own track.

I'm not saying that all schools are like this. Many, perhaps most, decidedly are not; but there are a lot of good instructors out there, and there are a lot of good schools out there. It takes a desire to learn, a commitment to try, and some time to find the right school. Don't immediately discard the idea of beginning a study of martial arts just because of your age or physical condition. Most of us folks with our younger years behind us have already got the mean, grumpy thing going for us. With a little bit of training, we can be downright scary. ;)

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, and bear in mind that marksmanship is also a martial art. While I have an appreciation for what the active martial arts can do for any one of any age, I dare say if one is close enough to use them on me, I erred badly in threat estimation. I, for one, am very violent contact averse, the more so as I've gained senior status, decreasing physical ability, and increased grumpiness. I'll trump the physical martial arts with 230 if I have the time, if no time, I'm toast.

At a tender age, one of my sons was lacking in self confidence. A couple years in a dojo did wonders for him. We moved, and he dropped the practice, but the self confidence remains. There is good in martial arts, no question.

kellory, Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  16. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

There are three schools in my area. The very least I could do is go and watch a class and talk to the instructor.

tulianr likes this.
  17. tulianr

All true. I see martial arts as a layer of preparedness though; just like any other prep. All of my plans are toward bugging in. I have a difficult time realistically imagining a situation that would cause me, in my situation, to bug out. But, I have two bug out bags packed and stowed, just in case. In my mind, the value in any prep is that it provides me with options. I like options. That's why I have layers of food stocks, and layers of physical security. "Plan A" may not always work.

I'd much prefer to shoot an attacker, but learning what is possible for me to do with my hands offers me options for consideration. That knowledge, like many of my preps, is something I hope to never need, but it's comforting to have.

kellory likes this.
  18. tulianr

Good for you. I neglected to mention in my earlier post that when my wife and I began studying at our current school, one of our first instructors, a soon to be junior black belt, was a lady about my age. She had moved to the area some years before, after her husband had retired from the military, and had begun taking her granddaughter to karate class. She sat and watched for a couple of years before the instructor lured her out onto the floor. When we started there, she had been studying for seven years, and was preparing for her black belt test. Maybe you can take your granddaughters, and see what you think about the idea.

Take a look at my earlier posts on this thread, if you haven't already. I gave a brief description of various arts, as best I could. Not all arts are the same, to say the least. Unless you are an unusually fit sixty-two year old, I would stay away from Tae Kwon Do and look for a Okinawan/Japanese art, or maybe Tai Chi. I studied Tae Kwon Do for several years when I was younger, but about all I could do now on the floor of a Tae Kwon Do Do-jang would be to embarrass myself. My current school, a Shorin Ryu Do-jo, is a perfect fit for me at my age and level of fitness - no high kicks, a varied curriculum, and a heavy emphasis on weapons.

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I would suggest staff work. Anyone can use a walking stick, anywhere, without raising people's eyes, but it can be quite effective as both sword and shield. it can strike from either end, and faster than your fists can move due to leverage. And serve as a mobile shield for anything coming in at you.

Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I was the scrawny kid that the bullies loved in school, because I would never backed down when picked on, I put up the best fight I could. I usually did not fair well but my spirit to never back down kept me going. I took boxing lessons from a golden gloves fighter as a teen and started fairing much better and thinking a little clearer on when to fight and when to go. Once I went into the service, thru my late 20's, I studied Shotokan and enjoyed the peace and strength I found with the training. The instructor was as concerned about us learning the traditions of the art as he was the techniques. I have not studied in years but still have the confidence in the skills developed in that training and the ability to deal with a hand to hand threat. But as I get older, I think much more about what the threat assessment is and keeping them at a distance, with shooting skills developed and maintained at the range ;)

kellory and tulianr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7