Members in the PNW, hunker down.....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

thanks mom (y)

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We had a little rain lately... the falls changed quickly!!!! Tomorrow afternoon into the evening we get hammered by wind... biggest storm in 10+ years they say......

[​IMG]

3M-TA3, Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

1996 we were in a bad one (as I was NOT ready , 2006 , I was ready since 1996 & learning more since ,2006 was better eye opener) 2016 ten years later again , were ready but I find the NEWS is over sell it again !! Just so we don't see whats happening in the sandbox & Russia ..
    NFZ is over Syria,, to USA , DON't break that one again !!

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Tornado in Manzanita, North of Tillamook on the coast,,,

5. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

Well maybe not my mom called and told me I could not go :cry: got to listen too mom

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

3M-TA3, Ganado, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

What a joke! Costco is in on the fix. [afro]

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Didn't really get the winds predicted here either. More like a normal coastal winter storm. Some lightning, though...

Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  9. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Next door neighbor was only a kid then, but remembers the 1962 Columbus Day storm, her family lived on the Oregon coast then. We've had worse rain storms and not sure about stronger winds, but we're a ways inland and have lots of hills/mountains and trees to lessen the wind. The valley below us, the wind is always stronger there. Our chimney/stovepipe cap got blown off though.

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Well at least we were ready right? Guys laugh at me because I pack an extra tramp bag full of $hi+. At least 2 of everything. Also hidden in there is food, Gatorade, and a couple of secrets. [afro]

Dunerunner, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Dunerunner

In '62 I lived with my parents up by the Sunset Highway above Beaverton. The winds started in the afternoon, and I can remember using my jacket as a sail, while on my bicycle, to propel me up the street. It was great fun as a kid and I remember it being unusually warm. The skies darkened and we were called in by our parents because the winds had gotten so strong we had trouble staying on our feet. By late afternoon, can't remember exactly the time; my Dad and I watched from the kitchen window as a roof from a home one block over sailed into the air and smashed into one of the brick homes up the street. That was when he said we were going to the basement.

My Dad sent me down stairs with my Mother and Sister and he went out in the storm to check on a neighbor across the street. The explosion of the roof crashing into the house on the other block had sent debris flying through the air. I remember seeing a 2X6 stuck in the side of the home he was headed to. The lady who lived there was alone, her husband was stuck in Portland and unable to get home in the storm. She had two small kids and he found her and the children in the garage hiding under the car. She refused to come over to shelter in our basement and Dad said that several large timbers had been blown the entire length of the house.

I can remember hearing the howling of the winds well into the night and the sound of explosions as some of the large Douglas fir trees in the green belt behind our home were snapped like twigs. I remember the Willamette river being so swollen that it was near the deck of one of the bridges and a tug that was attempting to clear debris from the bridge turtling and sinking in the river. The rains were extreme, easily 5 times what this last storm brought. No wonder those of us who lived through it made an effort to prepare.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Asia-Off-Grid, Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

For all the hoopla they made , it was more like a normal coastal winter storm, and much less wind that we have felt here.
    The power didn't even wink .
    It's the ones they don't know about & your ears pop from the pressures , them are the 100 trees down next morning i have found twice .
    Glad everyone was ready & all we got wet .
    Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7