Milk

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Jun 10, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The one I know of made in Utah, is Gossner. On its voyage from Utah to Afghanistan I don't believe it is refrigerated.
    I was thinking rotate it every 6 months or so if you don't refrigerate it. Longer if you do.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We get two cases of Gossner Milk every September, as part of our Winter Stores... We usually have a few boxes left in May, of the next year... No refrigeration, is required until you open the box..... Good stuff....

Ganado likes this.
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Got my case of Gossner whole milk yesterday and tried it out today. Tastes fine to me. Expiration date is May 2017 (10 Months). Will see what it's like at expiration.

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I've recently started using coconut mile from a can in my coffee. it's very rich fat content and it some in a can which I find useful for storage. I have not tried baking with it yet or tried it on cereal. I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised by the taste of coconut milk

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

UHT is a regular thing here, I always keep a few in the pantry for emergencies and out in the remote areas is is about the only milk you see (unless there is a roadhouse around). Back on the family station it was the only option. Same as when I was travelling in Mozambique, never saw anything but UHT, certainly "real" milk when I was back in JoBurg/Pretoria. You quickly adapt to the taste of UHT.

Ganado likes this.
  6. nathan

nathan Monkey+++

I get Gossner from our local dollar tree. stuff works good for me. I use it when I forget to stop off for milk.

7. Mountainman

Forgot to try the milk at expiration 4/27/17 but remembered 5 months past that. Chilled it down last night and tried it today and is just fine. I'm going to start using it now and will save one to try 1 year after expiration.

Tully Mars and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  8. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I've never had Gossner brand but I've drunk UHT milk since I was a young teen. I love milk and I'd bring some on every scout camp and keep it cold in the lake...not because it needed it, just because I prefer milk cold.

Tully Mars and Mountainman like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Gossner is a vendor to Nestles for Nestles branded UHT- so good QC. We get the QT boxes but once in a while can find the one cup 'Juicy box' sized units - just the thing for camping. (OK, going out in the van)

We buy it by the case at Sam's Club or Costco - whoever has it on sale. It usually has 11+ months before it hits the BIUB date. It is an acquired taste. For years we used non-instant, non-fat dry milk (DairyX) - raised on kiddos on it due to the price of 'fresh' milk here in AK - long ago.

My wife first ran across this in 1970 while traveling in France for a college course. While she's not a real fan, we use it for cooking and everything else that calls for milk.

Tully Mars and Mountainman like this.
  10. Mountainman

Well tried my almost 13 months expired milk today and it still tastes just fine. Stored in the house pantry so no problems with that temperature storage 65 to 75 degrees. Did not save any others to find out how long it will last. I have a rule about storing anything that has dairy products in it, 1 year past expiration and that's it.

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  11. DKR

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

From the chart you posted:
    Powdered Milk lasts for 2-10 Years past printed date

That is quite a spread, 2-10 years. I am assuming it is one of those things that needs to pass the smell test. I wonder if the 2-10 years past expiration date also applies to Nido. I have a few cans that I have picked up on sale.

Tully Mars and DKR like this.
  13. DKR

For the Nido product - NO. The product is whole milk and has fat, that limits storage to just past the best of used by date.

I apologize for the posting, it was done from a tablet. (ugh)

LDS folks say that Non-fat, non-instant dry milk "packaged and stored properly", should be good for 30+ years.
    (Dry Milk Storage Tips - ensign)
    Nonfat dry milk is a good storage food because of its low moisture and fat content. Recently scientists analyzed a nonfat dry milk sample which had been stored for twenty years; 70 percent of the lysine was still available. Subsequent feeding studies demonstrated that this old nonfat dry milk still promoted good growth in experimental animals.

See also https://ndfs.byu.edu/Portals/7/docs/research/AnApproachToLongerTermFoodStorageSept2015.pdf

Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  14. Mountainman

Was going through my preps yesterday and came across a case (12) cartons of UHT milk that I screwed up and did not rotate out. It will be 4 years expired in July. My rule with anything that has dairy products in it is use it up no more then a year after expiration. Since I screwed up I said what the hell lets see if it's still good. Had it in the fridge overnight and tried it today, it is still good. Will continue going through the case and if I end up sick or in the hospital I'll edit this post if I make it, lol.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When milk goes bad, you know it. I hear if the pasturization doesn't kill all the bacteria your milk turns into black sludge after several months.

16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If liquid milk is spoiled, expansion pressure will most likely deform the container, it will smell unwholesome, taste disgusting, and look more like chunky yoghurt than free flowing liquid of uniform consistency.

Mountainman and Tully Mars like this.
  17. Mountainman

Exactly. Had a case of evaporated milk stored that had to be a bad batch and a few cans exploded. What a mess!!!

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. jefferson
  9. jefferson
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. ditch witch
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Ganado
  16. Ganado
  17. Ganado
  18. JC Refuge