minimalist survival kits.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by lonewolf89, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Every MRE ever made, except perhaps the ham slice (which was awesome) demands Tobasco.

Ganado and Sapper John like this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

On the tactical medical side of things, i carry this NAR TORK kit. Small, compact and has everything I need in a GSW kit.
    image.

Luckily the work I do gets me this stuff for free

Tactical Operator Response Kit- Celox Gauze

I carry a another general medical kit plus a suture/minor surgical kit as well.

Not really minimal, but its what goes with me when I travel.

Brokor and kellory like this.
  3. Bigfoot1986

Bigfoot1986 Monkey

Bare minimum woods kit is
    1. Leatherman OHT
    2. Cold steel recon 1 folding knife
    3. Esee 6 with small fire kit and ferro rod and lighter attached
    4. Kleen kanteen 40 oz water bottle in pouch with water purification tablets in front pouch
    5. Gransfors bruk small forest axe
    6. S&W M&P .40 with a spare mag - drop leg
    7. Med kit in drop leg pouch
    8. 100 ft of 750 paracord
    9. 100 ft of #32 bankline
    10. 10' x 10' tarp
    11. Pen and rite in the rain pad
    12. Dump pouch
    13. Very small backpack
    14. 20' of 100 mph tape

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

May I ask if you have ever done long, multiple day humps in the bush with a drop leg holster and med kit on each leg? If you have and continue to do so, you are a tougher, more agile and patient hombre than me, my friend. [beer]

5. Bigfoot1986

Bigfoot1986 Monkey

I have gone for up to three days in the woods with the kit shown above.
    I always carry my pistol on my right leg and my Med kit on my left leg. I also carry any other gear listed on a belt or on my eberlestock little brother pack. I am also only 30 yrs old.

Brokor likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Pretty good for a small pack. Carried similar in living history.

7. Brokor

SAR Summit leg packs (good luck finding them now)

DSC00044.JPG DSC00046.JPG DSC00047.JPG
    I have two sets of these leg packs. I love them.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

They come with a tiny bottle too.

9. Brokor

The old ones, yeah. They stopped placing Tobasco in them a long time ago, though. :(

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Maybe I have them in mine because I am an old one...

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Its an interesting train of thought on this thread. I may be making an invalid assumption, please correct me if I am, but this presuppose you are 1) a soloist 2) its a very short term strategy.

Under those two assumptions, you wont live long. In a bad situation, you can only go solo so long. You need other people to stand guard, help grow and gather supplies etc. Long term survival involves community.

Brokor is right you just need a basic will to survive. The bottom line it why do you want to survive? IF you dont have that one answered for yourself, you wont last long. (HINT: most people survive to make sure the people around them survive. so you are back to family, tribe, community again)

random thoughts

13. cabot

cabot Monkey

I always believed I would be prepared for most situations I have survival kits at home and usually one in the car aswell but when the occasion did arise I wasn't prepared. Nuts ! . Well it wasnt really a major issue it was just my car go stuck in a very remote mountainous part of Kerry when I lived there. Comming home from the pub at about 12.30 am ( I wasnt over the limit btw ) driving with heavy rain and sleet I skidded and my car ended up in a ditch, thankfully I wasnt hurt and the car was ok but I couldnt get out and had to spend the night in the car. There was no traffic on the road, no phone coverage and guess what I have left my survival gear bag at home. I could see lights in the distance in farm houses but they were miles away and withot a proper coat I would have got pneumonia walking. I did start the car engine but I was afraid to fall ssleep with it on and get carbon monoxide poisoning from the engine so I kept switching it off. Only 2 cars passed me in the night and they obviously didnt notice me. Its was about 8 the next morning before anyone stopped and I was able to get a lift to the next town and call for help.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Motomom34
  3. UncleMorgan
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. AxesAreBetter
  6. H.I.S Survival
  7. AxesAreBetter
  8. Brokor
  9. Yard Dart
  10. signalsurvival
  11. melbo
  12. Tango3