More canning, Pumpkin Butter

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by sarawolf, Jan 26, 2011.

1. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

I canned pumpkin butter from the last of the pumpkins. I cooked it down for 24 hours in the crock pot, I got 5 pints.
    Pumpkin butter
    4 cups cooked and purred pumpkin
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teasp. nutmeg
    1/2 teasp. cloves
    1/2 teasp. ginger
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 1/2 -4 cups sugar
    You can apple sauce to make up for whatever you don't have in pumpkin.
    Cook on low and I set it on warm over night and then back to low the next day until I am ready to can it, in you crock pot for 24 hours. This makes 5 pints and a dab.
    I had 7 cups pumpkin so i took 3 apples and made into apple sauce and added that to make 8 cups.

Also canned 4 quarts of chicken broth I made from the left over bones and so on from the chicken we had the other day.
    It is almost time to go get the eggs for the day but I will wait until it is time to close the chickens up.
    Our daughter Christine who lives around Elk City ID called and asked if her and her girls could crash here for a couple of nights, since she is down in town on her days off.
    They will have to sleep in the living room, sofa love seat sleeping bags and or the 1 cot we have.
    My dh is in Portland OR for the City for a couple of days, he will be home around 12 midnight to 1 am Thursday night. He will get home to a house full of people lol.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks for posting this. Amazing what you can do with pumpkins!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7