Moringa Trees ?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Gator 45/70, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Anyone have these ?

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I never heard of it, but I am now curious if it will grow here.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

maybe you could use the extract of the root for poison darts...:eek: [winkthumb] :D
    The other benefits of the useable parts sound interesting.

chelloveck, Ganado and Brokor like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm waiting for our Hawaiian monkey to report on this if possible ?

Seems to be a local staple.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

He will probably just ramble about the benefits of that grog the Samoan's like to make.... "warning" not for the weak of mind...haha

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have some Moringa in powder form for tea, and have used it on occasion. I can't say if it's good stuff or not. Some cultures have used it for thousands of years for medicinal purposes.

8. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Gonna try growing this in BC Canada.
    Sourcing seeds.

Gopherman likes this.
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I just bought 100 seeds, came from Thailand, $4.22 - free shipping !!! I'm going to try them out this spring, I heard you need to cut them back for the winter but they will come back from the stump.

Came from Ebay seller top_blade_seller it was fairly fast shipping, like first class mail.

Gopherman and Mindgrinder like this.
  10. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Got my Moringa happening about 35 plants so far. I bought 1000 seeds and I'm gonna sprout them all and get an orchard of them going here and sell some as well.
    I figured there'd be a link here somewhere. Has anybody got them growing big yet?
    I just topped an 18" plant last week and there are 4 new branches coming out of it already.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

So far I've none sprout here.

Rancher

Gopherman likes this.
  12. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I just purchased 500 seeds to plant in spring. It freezes here so they will not live through the winter but they can be useful planted annually. Purchased my seed from Amazon.

Motomom34 and Gopherman like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I have joined @Gopherman 's evil plot to feed the world,:lol: and since he sent me some moringa olf. seeds as well as passion flower I am in the process of sprouting them. I don't have any green yet. The plan is to winter them in pots and stick them in the ground next spring. I'm trimming mine vigorously as I don't want 12' tall trees that are difficult to manage. [​IMG]

The buckets are from local grocery store that carries fresh cut flowers. They throw away 15-20 of these 2x a week and by drilling holes in them you have a very nice, 2 gallon pot for cheap. [​IMG]

I drill lots of 1/8 holes, just a preference for a desert climate, if I was in a more humid climate I would use larger holes.
    [​IMG]

These are the basic seeds on a 1/4 inch grid paper. The small seeds are passion Flower and the large one is moringa olf. [​IMG]

This is 5 days in a wet towel to sprout the moringa seeds. Note: I split the seed with my nail and then placed in a wet towel in a plastic bag over the stove next to the vent too keep it warm. [​IMG]

Sprouted Trees (coming soon I hope)Baby moringa peaking out of the ground. 9 days later [​IMG]

Sprouted Passion vines; day 12 and one passion vine is peaking out of the ground. [​IMG]

More links for Moringa Info AZOMITE
    Your 2015 Garden, what are you doing? | Page 2 | Survival Forums

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  15. Gopherman

Very nice! Great score on the buckets!!
    They grow really fast. They'll grow to be 60'.
    I'm going to dig them up and start new ones when the trunk get 4" thick. They produce plenty of seeds and grow up to 15' in one season.The more you cut them the bigger they get.I don't want trees that big!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I knew "moringa" sounded familiar. I still have some in my tea collection. I rarely use it...

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Gopherman like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG] fresh leaves have higher B6.[​IMG]

the ORAC values in moringa leaves are very high

18. Gopherman

We ordered 2 1/2 lbs of powdered leaves. Should be here by Friday.
    With all the anti-oxidants and amino acids, etc... we're going to put it all of our food from now on and see what happens. supposedly it is a strong anti inflammatory so i'll know if that works when my knees don't bother me anymore.
    Also anti parasitic and is a known cure/ prevention for over 300 diseases/ afflictions. Can't hurt is the way I look at it.[dunno]

Brokor, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Interesting plant. If anyone can grow it successfully it will be @Gopherman.

@Ganado great start on sprouting them. Keep us posted.

Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol so now you really do have to keep your powder dry! One thing about herbal healing you might want to consider. When you add to your diet like this it might take a while to 'help', what is typical, is that the 'help' or healing is so gradual that one day you think, 'hmmm that (insert body part) doesn't hurt anymore'. I find after taking herbal remedies for a while, it helps to get off of them for a few days. When I do that, that is when I notice a difference, if there is one. This is one way I test for 'does my body need this right now '

Gopherman and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    My first oranges are turning orange!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 19, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Avocadoes

6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Lemon_Guavas

I always plant flowers close to my fruit trees.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Guava season is here!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Lychee

The BEST Kind of Gains!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Bananas

It's Bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Dunerunner
  14. hot diggity
  15. Motomom34
  16. Ganado
  17. Meat
  18. Motomom34
  19. Ganado
    I love these [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Mar 8, 2019, 8 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  20. HK_User
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7