Most Important Survival Prep, Bar None!!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by gillman7, Jan 8, 2007.

1. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

OK, the new year is on us, and many have made Resolutions. How many have resolved to put back more supplies, ammo, build on that retreat, work on the BOV etc, but then make excuses for why we can not exercise, lose weight or improve our health. I don't care who you are or what you have stored, if you have a stroke or die of cancer it will do you no good.

Everyone needs accountability, so here is my challenge. Take a critical area of your health that can be improved, whether it is weight, smoking, exercise and commit to a plan to improve it. Set realistic goals and attainable plans to get there. Be prepared and honest enough to share with each other how you are progressing. Do not be afraid if you have setbacks, we all will have them, just start where you are and move ahead.

Here is my main goal. I am 6' tall and weigh 250 lbs. That is not real far out of whack, but I am much more comfortable at around 210. That is my goal. Here is my problem, I have had 3 knee surgeries, and a major shoulder surgery in the last 10 years. It is difficult to run or lift weights, so I have made excuses on why I can't do it. What I can do is adjust my eating habits, (healthier options), and at least bicycle or walk 3 times a week.

My goal is 210 and to build up my wind. I am going to be walking on my treadmill with my 5 day BOB. What do you think, any one else up for this?

[dunno] [dunno] [dunno]

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm with you. Was thinking I could drop around 10-15 lbs myself. Need to get my cardio back to where it was.

Our ancestors and great ancestors survived all manner f things by doing one thing better than the Predator, Army, etc could do... Use their legs and run!

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I am going to try and get into better shape, be able to run faster and farther, and give up smoking. That is I'm going to try. I will have help in a forced way, though I am thinking of after the fact. Will I stay off the smokes or will I stay after myself to keep my form. It is indeed healthier if I do, though I have never done anything that could be considered healthy for me.

I eat lots of greasy foods, sweets and smoke a lot. I'm healthy. Haha. I will try. What makes it so hard is I will have no bad habits after this. I don't drink or use dope. I don't chase wild women and I don't overuse medications. I guess I can find a nice range to go to and let shooting take the place of my smoking. As far as food? I like it. I don't think I'll be giving that up. I'll just exercise more. Haha.

4. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

If you want to drop weight be healthier stop eating proccesed foods.

OGM

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

In spite of a healty diet and regular exercise, my cholesterol levels are too high so now I am on a serious healthy diet and am hating every minute of it. I don't drink or smoke and believe I am in a little better shape than most fifty year olds. To quote one of my Seamonkeys recently after he watched me swim out to a casualty and climb a hawser-line to the deck, "You're a tough old bastard, aren't you?"

6. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

read upon on the Zone Diet. It is not a Diet per say, but a way of eating the will help you lose fat naturally by balancing your insulin level. I have done it/am doing it and it really works. I need to drop a similar amount of weight by this summer and but my knees still work.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I agree that your health is one of the most important things you need to have to be able to survive.

That said, I don't to DIEt's, I've changed my lifestyle. Yeah, at one time or the other I did the zone DIEt, the Atkins DIEt, the DIEt of the week fad, etc. None of them ever worked for me, or if they did help me loose a pound or 2 I quickly gained it back after stopping the DIEt.

I have changed my lifestyle now. I exercise more and eat better foods. At least 3 nights a week we have no-meat dinners (basically rice and beans). As a result my cholesterol is coming down, my weight is coming down and I feel much, much better.
    One thing to look at, especially if you have high cholesterol, is increasing your Omega-3 fatty acid. Dr's usually recommend more fish or taking fish oil supplements, but get some flax seed, it has higher Omega-3 content than fish oil. Other source of Omega 3 are almonds and walnuts.

Since I have increased my daily Omega-3 intake (by one or more of the sources above) my Cholestorol has dropped to the "normal" range (though my HDL is still too low, but it is rising)

<a href="http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Omega3FattyAcidscs.html">Here</a> is more information on Omega-3.

Ok, I'll get off my [soap] now, as it's almost time for my workout :)

Also check out a book called "The Abs Diet" (though the author admits he did not want to call it a DIEt). Lots of good information about the food you consume and how it effects your body. It also has a nice workout routine.

Ryan

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The no meat thing would be a deal breaker for me. lol Im a strict vegitarian but mostly by proxy, I eat things that eat veggies.

9. GoatLady

GoatLady Lock and load

I am a member of PETA (People Eating Tastey Animals) [LMAO]

I just got myself a treadmill from freecycle [touchdown]

10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ya, I love a good steak, pulled pork and even grilled salmon, I am also a member of PETA. But I do it in moderation and try to have a couple of vegetarian meals a week.

It does help me loose weight and feel better about myself, but that is just me :)

Everybody has to find a lifestyle that suits them.

GoatLady, congrats on the treadmill, the freecycle in our area has become nothing but a list for the "I wants" so I stopped using it. Now, time to get off the computer and on the treadmill!! :)

Ryan

11. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

I volunteer to give up everything but lying. I swear!

Seriously, I need to lose weight and exercise more and will do so.

3.5616 lbs per inch in heighth at present.

jim

12. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Rightfully so. If God hadn't wanted us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them slow and delicious. Haha.

All things in moderation. Though this case of hohos is starting to look real good for lunch. Haha.

13. duanet

duanet Monkey+++

Funny thing about diet and exercise, it always seem to be most effective when someone else is doing it. Need to lose 35 pounds myself and exercise more. That said, I try to walk a mile a day on a treeadmill. Low knee impact and have it upstairs where it is cooler and there are less distractions, but not like walking in the rain. Thing I noticed is that after a few weeks, my weight had only dropped 10 lbs and seems to be stuck, I 0 still get out of breath and my heart rate goes up. The walker monitors that and at 69 I think that is important, but now I get my breath back much quicker and my heartbeat rate decreases much quicker. I can't help but think in a SHTF situation that would be a major plus. If you go to the yard sales and watch the dump and want ads, you can pick up practally unused treadmills for from $0 to $50 that were $600 units. Get a good one and wear it out. You can't wear out enough treadmills or bibles in a lifetime.

14. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah, I try to make at least a few meals a week out of vegaterians too. lol

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I need to work up some mileage myself, And cut back on my online time that could better be served in study or in the garden. I won't sign on to any x#miles/week yet but I am willing to increase my normally sporadic water intake.I don't drink nearly enough water( beer/coffee/sodas/crap yes)...I think I am perpetually near the edge of "dehydration" , mood /headaches/mental sluggishness...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7