Most valuable prep?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tango3, Dec 30, 2009.

?
  1. Firearms/ammunition/training?

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Food/water supplies?

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. knowledge ( books/training/practice)

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  4. (new) location?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i aint buying it !!!
    i guarantee u 99% percent of people say they can do something because they "read a book on it"

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guarantee you that when things go egg shaped, performance will count, not mouth music. If you say you can, you will perform. Or not.

KAS likes this.
  3. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

thats what im trying to say ...
    thank u ghrit!!!!

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Knowledge is not not competence. The acquisition of relevant knowledge and the successful practical application of the necessary knowledge, skills and values so gained usually (but not necessarily in all cases) leads to competence.

Book learning should not be discounted....most soldiers, surgeons, and the practitioners of many other trades and professions owe aspects of their competency to the foundational basics learned from books....the US army invests heavily in doctrinal and training manuals. Many guys aren't natural tinkerers or auto mechanics, but will tackle maintenance tasks holding a workshop manual in their greasy hands.

Those that can't back up their claims with actual competency will be called out when crunch time comes. It would be best to confirm what competencies they claim to have by test and exercise....particularly those competencies essential to your survival...rather than when the excreta is striking the fan blades. :eek:

Witch Doctor 01 and tulianr like this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Training is how they "convince" you to attack an ambush rather than run like hell. :D

oldawg, chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The average soldier knows how to soldier; leaders are required to study historical battles. Combat is the exception, as education is passed over for those who get it done.

Training is a more complex subject; I cannot see a bunch of friends practicing an "Aussie Peel" without drawing serious scrutiny by whomever that might be.

chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

an "Aussie Peel", that doesn't involve farm animals does it?o_O (too kinky for me!)

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It is a move and shoot drill to break contact, not initiate it. Supposedly, it dates back to WWII when British commando teams raided coastal villages.

9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Imagination...

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7