Motorcycles and EMP

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Quigley_Sharps, Nov 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yea Thought about that but need more speed in case i need to loose someone following me. I need to ride 60 miles on the other side of the mnt to pick up my wife if she is at work if a EMP does go off. We work in two different directions. I hope we are home together if it ever happens.

2. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

The Suzuki TS185 from 1971 to 1977 at least, has a points controlled primary magneto ignition. This should be fairly emp proof, and has the additional advantage that it will kick start and run without a battery. Probably blow out all the lights because the battery helps regulate the charging system, but it will run. The TS is a 2 cycle that has decent power to pull 2 people if necessary. The 185 is about as small as I would go with a 2 stroke to haul 2 people, with a 4 stroke I would want a 250 or bigger. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Just some ideas.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

EMP would not likely cause any damage to a WetCell Battery, especially if it was unconnected at the time, of the EMP.... It is Semiconductors that are vulnerable to EMP as they are very fragile, when subjected to the High Voltage/Short Duration Pulses. Resistors, Capacitors, Relays, and Wire are not near as vulnerable. CDIs, Regulators, and Sealed "Chocolate Bar" type controllers are where you are going to run into trouble.

4. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

Harleys used points up to about 1978, and even after that they can be converted easily to use points on through the Evolution era. That would get you up through, what, the late '90s? Not sure about Twin Cams.
    My 1975 FLH (shovelhead) had been fitted with an aftermarket breakerless ignition which I replaced with points, although recently I have added a full electronic ignition. I still keep the points for backup. They're kind of a pain.
    There is a charging system regulator that you'd need a spare in a box. If motors are affected you'd lose the starter, but a previous owner had added the kick starter. It should be relatively easy to start any bike by push starting.

5. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

I wasn't really trying to say that a wet cell battery would be affected by an EMP. I was stating that you would not need a battery as more of a side benefit, in that you would not need to worry about having a charged battery to fire the points and the coil for ignition. Just stating that with a primary magneto that a charged battery is one less thing to worry about.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Don't worry, be happy!

[​IMG]

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  7. HK_User

Load carry, Primo for that bike is a set of solid sided bags that also have their own sturdy brackets. The plus here, on the brackets, is that they serve as "crash bars' when the bags are not attached.

8. Quigley_Sharps

[​IMG]
    This is the set up Im thinking.

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

10. HK_User

[​IMG]

11. HK_User

Works fo me.

Looked at a 750 Honda set up close to this.

12. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

What I have bought to fully restore is a 1980 Honda CM200 cruiser. I paid a paltry $300 for this. Has points and condenser with just a single carb. Low miles and will make a great little economical bike to get to and from work on.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I need a link for that puppy.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe that there is a diesel motorcycle designed for the military that would suit you need best.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, there is. Hayes Diversified Technologies built some based on the KLR650. So far as I know, they were never available on the civilian market, and I believe the testing done by both the the Army and Marines came to the conclusion that such a beast wasn't useful enough for production and purchase in quantity. I do NOT know if any remain in service.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  16. HK_User

I am of the opinion that the US Mil have switched to the ZERO.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7