Mountain Lion in my Yard

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GOG, Aug 21, 2020.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I don't really have a yard, just a carveout. I just couldn't figure out how to put "A mountain lion and/or her cub made kills two nights in a row within thirty to forty yards of the house the two nights before last." into a thread title.

My neighbor told me about the first one and I heard the second one but couldn't pinpoint it. I'm in a canyon and sound distorts, but these were close.

Big cats aren't unusual here. The fires two years ago moved a bunch of the survivors to better food sources and lots of people keep livestock, not to mention that the deer have started to come back.

Anyway I just wanted to to say something since it applies to living in nature.

Enjoy the weekend.

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Yup.. Have lived with them for years. By the way, they are right tasty!

Dark Wolf, T. Riley, BlueDuck and 4 others like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Open season on them here.

Dont and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

They're legal to shoot here AFAIK but you have to see them first. They're elusive.

Tully Mars, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Of course they are the kings animals here so to do it legally you have to have a hunting license, tag and do it during season, but most of us country people live by the 3 S's.

Had one just outside the front yard about a month ago so a little leary now since we have a small dog.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

All 40 bales in the hay storage lot. Completed today.

DSCF5263.JPG

This is what was left at 1200 to move from delivery point to storage lot. DSCF5259.JPG

This Yellow Jacket nest was full when I found it last night at quitting time, just a few inches from my right ankle behind the wheel well!
    DSCF5261.JPG

This is the old pressure tank with the Submarine damage control type repair using BAND-IT Kit and home made patch till I could get the parts and supplies and mock up the new install
    DSCF5252.JPG

New Tank, whole house filter and the Unistrute bolted to the wall and used to support the 1 inch PVC pipe to the Manifold.
    Water softener is now in place but not in this picture. Working in a small dome is not the easiest thing I have completed due to the wall layout. Controls stand is yet to come but all things in their time.
    DSCF5258.JPG

Motomom34, GOG, Cruisin Sloth and 3 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

100K fine for shooting a big cat here or you better have claw marks on you're butt and they need to be deeep claw marks....
    3S's always works for some?

GOG, HK_User and Mountainman like this.
  8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Remember to float any collar found down the river on a piece of wood, before the shovel part

Dark Wolf, GOG, Mountainman and 3 others like this.
  9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The three S method is best or so I heard once. I remember it was on a canoe trip where we lost our guns.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Had a cat in the front yard yesterday morning just before light. Thinking it's the same one that I posted about above or the mate of it since they are territorial and I don't think we have multiple cats here.
    We have sensors on the outside of the house for 2 legged varmints, they get set off by deer and you have to go outside and scare them off. Was kind of shocking to have a cat out there instead of the deer. Hate to see what's next since we also have bear and wolves here.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

If shit /=bear , dog smells piss and will not go there /= cat , use a quiet pellet with grains and 850fps brick .
    It's coming back & watching ,, I live there.
    S

Mountainman, Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  12. Robert Clark

Robert Clark On Hiatus Banned

I bought AFWFilters Fleck 5600SXT system a few weeks ago. In reading multiple reviews from various sources, this unit was highly rated, and competitively priced. In reading about the device, the literature claimed that it was easy to install, perhaps it is for an experienced plumber, but not the do-it-yourselfer. The unit requires an electrical outlet and a readily accessible drain. I had neither where the unit needed to be with the main water line into the house, so I did install an electrical outlet, but the drain was a whole different story. So, I’d strongly recommend that you find and hire a good plumber who has experience in installing water softeners to do the installation. However, once in, the unit works great and as advertised. The difference in the water was immediately evident and noticeable. I highly recommend this product, it is high quality, well designed, and works great.

13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Are you spam ????

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Looks to be spam and sales only. Life won't be too long here once a mod gets awake.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

In a mountain lion thread? Spam. Buh Bye.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup. Too late to say bye-bye.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  17. reconprepper

reconprepper Monkey

technically you are in the cats yard not the other way around. You moved to the country or where it lived. :) That said best thing is a dog. That or have the DNR guys set up and trap or tranquilize it and move it somewhere else. I had one DNR Department of Natural Resources ranger sit for two days in my yard to catch an alligator and remove it to another lake miles away one time.

SB21 likes this.
  18. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I wish the wildlife around here long, healthy lives, even the predators.
    I live here because live and let live is my philosophy. I chose to live in nature and I tread as lightly as I can.

That said, it seems a couple of cats are here right now. Likely the same ones again.

I don't have livestock to defend so they get a free pass.

Mountainman, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've heard they taste pretty good?

SB21 and GOG like this.
  20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I dunno, I'll stick to beef and venison.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7