MRE Heaters

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TailorMadeHell, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Okay, I know that you can use them to warm up your MREs though some choose not to, as is the case with me. However, what do you think of having a few in your BOB for use later? Do you think you could heat anything in them without it being totally sealed or just use the warming plate in another container? Any thoughts on this?

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think they could be useful for several things. Aside from anything else you could use them with a container inside to heat things includeing that if it was so cold your water bottle froze and you could thaw enouph to activate the heater then it should thaw the water, they could also be used for added heat in a sleeping bag as a kind of bed warmer or something. I know they also release hydrogen though so getting them to close to an open flame could get interesting. lol

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Yes, I've had someone tell me that they can go boom if the right conditions are met. Good info to know. I'm thinking that they may come in handy and not weigh so much. You can buy them seperately from the MREs so I thought I'd grab a few if they seemed usable without factory sealed meals.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7